Author Topic: Alternative pain relievers - NDR  (Read 2249 times)

Offline kathryn

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
Alternative pain relievers - NDR
« on: June 29, 2007, 02:21:29 am »
Okay everyone,

I need help finding a substitute pain reliever for the next week.  I have my thyroid biopsy on Friday but I can't take any pain reliever that's a blood thinner for the next week.  I was told that I can take Tylenol but normal Tylenol makes me hurt worse but oddly enough the sinus Tylenol doesn't do that to me.  Anyway, I have an old back injury that flares up sometimes especially if I've had a really strenous week at work.  So I just had to break down and take a vicodin to relieve the pain and I hate taking anything more than good old Aspirin.  Any ideas on something that I can sub for the next week? 
Kaila - Belgian Malinois
Shiner - Malinois x Ridgeback
Toulouse, Cayenne, Raven - DSH

Due to recent budget cuts and the rising cost of electricity, gas and oil, as well as current market conditions, the Light at the End of the Tunnel has been turned off. We apologize for the inconvenience

Offline 2Criminals

• Grand Master
    • View Profile
Re: Alternative pain relievers - NDR
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2007, 03:36:44 am »
Robaxacette? (Sp?) you couldn't take Robaxasal though as it contains aspirin. Motrin works well and i believe it's ibuprofren.

Offline shangrila

• Golden Paws
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2007, 04:55:56 am »
Make sure you use a heat pack or ice pack (depending on the type of back pain). If you have a gym membership, a soak in the hot tub helps (if not a warm bath is good too - especially if you add a little aromatherapy to help you relax). And see if you can con someone into giving you a back massage ;)
RIP former BPO

Offline sc.trojans

• Big Paws-a-holic
  • Gracie and Skylar
    • View Profile
    • Natural K9
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2007, 05:15:56 am »
Arnica - homeopathic remedy can be found at your local health food store or vitamin shop.
SC Trojans
with Gracie and Skylar

Offline kathryn

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2007, 10:42:13 pm »
Thanks for the suggestions.  I'm going to go look for the Arnica and I'll check on the Motrin.  I have ice packs in the freezer already.  I didn't think of heat or ice packs. 
Kaila - Belgian Malinois
Shiner - Malinois x Ridgeback
Toulouse, Cayenne, Raven - DSH

Due to recent budget cuts and the rising cost of electricity, gas and oil, as well as current market conditions, the Light at the End of the Tunnel has been turned off. We apologize for the inconvenience

Offline Ice Blue

• Big Paw Certified
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2007, 02:38:10 am »
When my back is sore I like the lay on a heating pad with my legs propped up with pillows. It takes the pressure off my lower back and really helps my hips. I also use a cream called R-30 for deep muscle pain, and flexagesic for surface pain (there's cyan pepper in it which helps immensely) I get them at my massage therapists office, I'm not sure where else you can get them, I'll have to look that up and get back to you.
Caitlin

Remy - German Shepherd (7 mths)
Copper - Shetland Sheepdog (14 yrs)
Birch - Lizard (Mali Uromastyx)

Offline Ice Blue

• Big Paw Certified
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2007, 02:55:04 am »
I forgot to mention that the R-30 is made by Dr. Reckeweg and you can get their products at most naturopathic/homeopathic or health food stores, and you can ask about the flexagesic (I'm having a harder time finding stores that carry it)
Caitlin

Remy - German Shepherd (7 mths)
Copper - Shetland Sheepdog (14 yrs)
Birch - Lizard (Mali Uromastyx)