Author Topic: Puppyhood  (Read 3601 times)

Offline Sillygoose

• Top Doggie Dog
  • I love my dog!
    • View Profile
Puppyhood
« on: June 30, 2007, 12:24:00 pm »
Hello everyone, as I type this and have to get up and chase Tripper through the house because he's stolen something that he shouldn't have I ask myself why did I go out and spend a small fortune on toys and chewy bones for him when all he wants are my things? Is there a reason for this? Why is it they like everything else that doesn't belong to them? I amazes me that he wants nothing to do with his toys.

Offline GoldenPyrs

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
Re: Puppyhood
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2007, 03:01:54 pm »
How could you not just give in?!  Look at that FACE!!!  That is the cutest puppy smile EVER!! ;D

Isn't it just!!!  Everytime I look at his smiley baby face I just want to kiss his nose!   ;D  :-*
Marie

And my pups:
Daisy a 9 y/o Golden/Lab mix
Sammy a 6-7(?) y/o Great Pyrenees adopted 3/07
Cassie a 3 y/o Pyr/Mystery Snuggle Bunny mix adopted 2/07

My angel girls waiting at the Bridge:
Cara 1989-2001 Great Pyrenees
Sally ? - 1993 Dobie(rescued '92)
Halley 2002-2006 Great Pyrenees

Offline Fumble

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2007, 06:31:43 pm »
oh my gosh! fumble is turning 2 in july and he still acts like that sometimes! ;)  Heheh!!  I also do spend oodles of mula on his toys and stuff.. but what i do is show them to him and then either hide them or take them away after a while.  Then he can have them. 
What was it?  Even 2 days ago he stole a flip flop from under my bed and i was mid sleep when i heard him squeeking something, and i look over and he has the black flop basically chewed halfway!  so now, the flops go behind the tv cabinet!  lol!  i have plenty of hiding spots!!
you know what else you can try is teaching "leave it"  that seems to have helped condiserably with fumblE!

Here's how i taught him, and he picked it up within 10 minutes, you just have to practice it.  I put the treat on the floor at least 3 feet away from him and told him to "leave it", but i also placed my foot near the treat so i could block it!  He definately got a few of them, but before i knew it he figured it out!  Then i started putting it closer to him, and then the only way he could get it was by looking up at me.  When he acknowledged that I was the one saying whether or not he could have it!  Now for a big breed puppy its not fail proof when they're in their mischevious moods! but at least it's worth a shot! hehe!!  good luck
and you have an ADORABLE puppy!!  we need to see more pictures! hehE
"My newfoundlands live my life as passionately as i live theirs"
"I slip the hater of what i've become.  they slip the halter of what they've been, and we live together, passionately, changed"
-Both from "in the company of newfies"

WE REPRESENT THE LOLLIPOP GUILD!!!

Offline Ice Blue

• Big Paw Certified
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2007, 11:29:58 pm »
Remy doesn't really steal things so much as chew on things he shouldn't, like tables, beds or the cat. ;D lol I've been working on "leave it" with Remy, and he has been picking it up fairly quickly as well, I'm using the treat on the floor method too, he's also been pretty quick with the treats on the floor! haha
Caitlin

Remy - German Shepherd (7 mths)
Copper - Shetland Sheepdog (14 yrs)
Birch - Lizard (Mali Uromastyx)

Offline Duramax

• Majestic Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2007, 11:52:33 pm »
aaaah yes, i know  where youre coming from. yesterday while i was on bpo, boog was sitting by the dirty laundry pile by the door and he was chewing on his pooch pacifier. and if i watched out of the corner of my eye, very slowly he will very innocently transfer from chewing on toy to nibbling and tugging at a burp rag..... it's too cute, his muzzle is so gosh darn small right now!
Christina
mother of:
2 babies
2 great danes -Duramax
              -boog

"Some days you're the dog; some days you're the hydrant." -Unknown

Offline Britz

• Leader of the Pack
  • Mommy to Ethan, Kiera and Zeus
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2007, 04:04:46 am »
Zeus is the  same way. Any time  he has something he isnt  supposeto have I euither  can  get iot from him or he runs away.  We have a huge  problem  when we let him in and he will grab a shoe and fly through the house. I  know  keep a toy  right there so know he just  grabs it  lol
~Britainy
~Zeus-Rotti

Offline Newly Newfed

• Top Doggie Dog
  • Sierra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2007, 04:15:26 am »
you know what else you can try is teaching "leave it"  that seems to have helped condiserably with fumblE!

That's a great idea.  I'm going to try to teach Sierra that command.

Sierra is also a master thief.  I am forever sticking my hand in her mouth to pull out something she's not supposed to have.  I too have spent enough money to finance a small country on toys for her and she barely touches them.  So take comfort in knowing you are not alone!  Heck, I am!  LOL!

Just this morning she got caught red-handed (red-pawed??).  We have fawns we are bottle feeding and I heard the bag of powdered milk replacer rustling in the kitchen.  By the time I got in there, she was sitting with the most angelic look on her face.  BUT...she is not quite bright enough to realize she had white powder COVERING her, face ears and paws!!
Dogs are not our whole lives, but they make our lives whole - Roger Caras

Sierra-Newfoundland
Cody-Papillon
Oscar, Gina- Cats
Roxy-Ferret
Peaches, Sean, Thunderbolt, Chablis, Lucky, Miracle, Ivy, Riley-Whitetail Deer