Author Topic: Rocco's Sick  (Read 8827 times)

Offline greek4

• Majestic Member
  • Kole with Maia, Baxter, Rocco, and Cody
    • View Profile
Rocco's Sick
« on: July 18, 2005, 11:02:37 am »
My Dad is so worried about Rocco that he went in checked on him on his way home today.  The joy of giving your parent's keys to your place.  I figured him checking on him would give me peace of mind but it just made me worry.  Rocco just hasn't been himself since late last week.

Rocco's symptom's

Hot Spots that have dried up and are healing.
Lethargic, just lays around.
Doesn't greet my Dad with any excitement (which is more upsetting to my Dad than anything)
Won't play with Maia, he just growls at her when she tries.
When I make him go out, he just lays back down on the deck.
His poop is runny.
Gums are darker than usual and drier than usual
Won't drink water unless I make him drink
Won't play even with his ball
Didn't want his rawhide which he loves

Good things
He is eating normally
He is pooping
He is peeing
He is drinking when forced
He will still get up and come to me with a simple 'You want a treat'

I have him a vet appointment for tomorrow afternoon.

I just thought if you guys could give me some remedies I could save the stress and money of taking him in.
The vet was too busy to talk to me today and the vet tech says that nothing stands out as being wrong with him.

My Guesses
He got a hold of bird last week and might have caught something
I gave them heartworm medicine last week
The fleas gave him itching, the scratching gave him hotspots, the hotspots gave him infection, etc
The heat and the itching together depressed his immune system and he caught something.

Worrying about him makes it hard to work so I will sit here patiently and wait for responses.  (So Hurry  :) )

Thanks,

Emily and 1 husband, 1 boy, 1 on the way, and 4 crazy dogs

lins_saving_grace

Re: Rocco's Sick
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2005, 11:06:38 am »
When Lady's like that she's HOT!
When Grace got like that she had Colitis...a bateria in the stomach.  The vet said not to force her to eat and don't feed her for 12 hours.  But I took her to the vet anyway and they gave me a pill for it.  :) 
I hope it's nothing.  But it's good to get him in to see the vet with symptoms like that.

Offline RedyreRottweilers

• Leader of the Pack
    • View Profile
    • Redyre Rottweilers
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2005, 11:17:14 am »
You need to keep your veterinary appointment.

Please make sure to have a complete blood panel done on your dog with particular attention to liver and kidney function values.

I would also have a urinalysis done, and if it were my dog, a thyroid function test.

It may be nothing, but with the symptoms you described, I would want all those tests done to rule out any serious illness.

I would be interested to also know the vaccination history behind this dog.

Best of luck, it's probably nothing, but best to find out for sure.
Redyre Rottweilers
redyre@carolina.rr.com
No part of this message may be forwarded without my permission.

Offline greek4

• Majestic Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2005, 11:17:45 am »
How can I tell if it colitis?  Can I tell by looking at him.
I turned the air down to 72 for them today.  So he can't be hot.
Thanks,

Offline greek4

• Majestic Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2005, 11:20:55 am »
Rocco is utd on all vaccines.  I took them in about 3 months ago for all the yearly things.  He gets rabies, kennel cough, and some others.

I will ask the vet to do the whole workup on him.  He had very poor prenatal care as his mom was stray with heartworm.  Then he was pulled off her at 4 weeks and started on food.  He didn't get a good start until I got him.

Rocco is my first dog on my own and I can't imagine life without him so I pray it is nothing serious.  I'm probably just freaking out about nothing.
Thanks,

lins_saving_grace

« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2005, 11:23:50 am »
you have to take a poopy sample to the vet.  you can't see it...you know mostly by about 2 weeks worth of diahreah.  It takes that long to go away so to speak...and the antibotic takes care it so in a day.  but they have to fast for 24 hours. 
Lady still gets hot at 72 degrees.  She's ok at 70 or 71. 
Don't worry till you hear what the vet says.  I do the same thing...but try not to get upset.  It's most likely something that can be treated or waited out.

lins_saving_grace

« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2005, 11:28:04 am »
Some viruses/bacteria come along and vaccines can't ward them off.  Colitis is a soil based bacteria that dogs can pick up by sniffing in their own back yards...that's why I hate that the neighbor dog comes over into my yard. I think Grace got it at the kennel...and I'm glad it was this and not kennel cough.  Gracey acted like she was about to keel over with this and living with all night and all day poopies was unbearable for everyone. 
Think good thoughts. 
I had a rescue dog with a bad vet history...got her through heart worm treatments and nursed her up till the end through her heart problems that came with old age and the breed. 
Let us know what you find out.

nickerbokker

« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2005, 02:27:34 pm »
sending rocco some loves right now >>>>>loving<<<<<<<

hope everything is fine (it will be)...keep us updated!!!!!!!!  i always HATE when i think something is wrong with my dogs.  jaba can confirm...she saw me cry LMAO.  and i hate when other friends animals are hurting....so make him better now!!!!!!!!!!

give out all kinds of hugs today and tomorrow...and some from me too okay?

Offline newflvr

• Tail Wagging Champ
  • Cowboy is four years old and Chester is almost two
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 18, 2005, 02:37:20 pm »
Rocco is utd on all vaccines.  I took them in about 3 months ago for all the yearly things.  He gets rabies, kennel cough, and some others.

That worries me a bit.  He could have had his immune system knocked sideways by the immunizations.  Have you looked at his belly skin to see if there is any bleeding under the skin?  In his ears (same thing)?  I'm sure your vet will do a blood test to see if he is making enough red blood cells.   I agree....go to the vet!!!

Offline greek4

• Majestic Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 18, 2005, 02:52:16 pm »
We are going to keep our appointment tomorrow.  But if he is worse when I get home we are headed straight to the emergency vet.  I hope they take credit cards.  Last time I took him there they took me for all I was worth but they made my boy better so it was worth it.

I don't see any blood under the skin or in his ears. 
Thanks,

lins_saving_grace

« Reply #10 on: July 18, 2005, 03:01:44 pm »
Try not to think the worst...ok?  I might be something treatable and normal.  I'm thinking good thoughts about it because I am the worst panicer and worry wart. :) 
Let us know asap!

Offline mastiffmommy

• Chief "All Knowing"
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 18, 2005, 03:42:21 pm »
We are going to keep our appointment tomorrow.  But if he is worse when I get home we are headed straight to the emergency vet.  I hope they take credit cards.  Last time I took him there they took me for all I was worth but they made my boy better so it was worth it.

I don't see any blood under the skin or in his ears.  

I am so so so sorry to hear that Rocco isnt feeling well, I agree with what is already said that the symptoms you describe could be so many different things and he really need a total blood panel and checkup.

I think you are very wise to take him to the emergency vet if he is worse when you get home, should there be anything that need to be treated, the sooner the better. BUT like you said, emergency vets tend to make you pay an arm and a leg.

Like grace said, my dogs get warm too if it is a little over 70 here, so we try to keep the air on 70 all summer long, but 72 shouldnt make him sick, even if he feel a bit uncomfortable (which he may very well not do, he may be fine with warmer than that, it varies from dog to dog)

I will be thinking of you and Rocco and keep all my fingers and paws here crossed

Send big huggs to Rocco and Maia, I am sure she needs them too, wondering why big brother wont play with her.

Marit
what the lion is to a cat, the mastiff is to a dog

Offline jabear

• Wizard of Wiggling & Waggling
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 18, 2005, 04:06:38 pm »
Poor baby Rocco! Feel better soon!

And for you Emily, keep your head up. Things will work out. Just keep a close eye on him and give him lots of TLC!
Hugs,
Jaime
  Mom to one handsome black Bear.

nickerbokker

« Reply #13 on: July 19, 2005, 11:52:23 am »
any news emily?

GR8DAME

« Reply #14 on: July 19, 2005, 07:09:17 pm »
Emily,
Been doing the instant messenger thing, and missed this thread. Hope Rocco got a good report from the vet and is better.  Stella