Author Topic: Hip Help  (Read 2606 times)

Offline CalistogaPyr

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
Hip Help
« on: July 02, 2007, 01:44:39 am »
I was walking Bo this weekend and heard her hip going "pop, pop, pop" loud enough that I could hear it while I was walking next to her.  I put my hand on her hip & felt her left hip bone popping in the socket.  Is this a sign of dysplasia?!?  She doesn't seem to be in any pain (that I can tell, but Pyrs have a HIGH pain threshold), nor is she limping or lame.  Lately she has been slow to get out of the car after a long ride while she's laying down, but other than that she's playing & walking normally.  I haven't had her on glucosamine for about 2 months, but I'm wondering if putting her on a high dose might help.  Anyone else have this kind of experience with their big paw's hips? 
THANKS!
Jenn
"Be the change you wish to see in the world"-Gandhi

Offline shangrila

• Golden Paws
    • View Profile
Re: Hip Help
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2007, 10:26:19 am »
My saint has hip dysplacia. I don't ever really hear her hips pop. When Bo runs, do his back two legs move at the same time (like a bunny) or different times (like a person)? Bunny hopping is the biggest sign of HD... Either way, you should deffinately take Bo to the vet to figure out exactly what is causing his hips to pop
RIP former BPO

Offline sc.trojans

• Big Paws-a-holic
  • Gracie and Skylar
    • View Profile
    • Natural K9
Re: Hip Help
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2007, 02:19:39 am »

Yes, it certainly can mean dysplasia. Are her parents and other relatives OFA clear? But regardless, it is not normal and definitely a sign that something is amiss in the joint. You are describing signs of joint problems in her behavior.

It is critical to have her hips x-rayed as a result, and I strongly recommend you do so to know what you are dealing with.
SC Trojans
with Gracie and Skylar