Author Topic: I need advice on my Newfie  (Read 2240 times)

Offline kristinsmith

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
I need advice on my Newfie
« on: July 03, 2007, 10:44:47 pm »
Lexi is 16 months old and has severe hip dysplasia and is now showing signs of elbow problems. The vet has put her on Zubrin for pain and Hills J/D food. When we walk her she collapses and doesn't want to get up. She trips over her front feet and does face plants into the ground. I just feel so sorry for her and am at a loss as to what to do.  Any advice would be appreciated.
Kristin

bigdogs@5501

Re: I need advice on my Newfie
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2007, 12:24:36 am »
I fortunately have not had any problems with HD in any of my dogs- god willing, it will never be an issue. If you are happy and content with your vet, talk to them- find out what else you can do- what the other options are. If not, find another vet. Anytime you have a dog that has an on going problem, you need to have a vet that you trust and can rely on to do what is best. Find out if your vet has a lot of experience with HD and large dogs, again if not, you may want to find one who has had that experience. Your poor Lexi, I am thinking that going for walks is not in her best interest right now- at least not long ones. Keep us posted with how she is doing.

Offline DroolGirl

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
Re: I need advice on my Newfie
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2007, 12:15:23 pm »
With all due respect for your vet, it seems as though the treatment he is offering is not adequate, given the severity of Lexi's problem. I would get her to a specialty practice, or, preferrably, a veterinary university hospital. For such a young dog to collapse and not want to get up there must be a huge underlying issue. She either has such severe orthopedic issues that she needs surgery now, or possibly a neurological issue, or an immune disorder??? Follow your instincts to find the best care for Lexi. Please let us know what you find.