Author Topic: My poor girl is sick!  (Read 6218 times)

Offline People Whisperer

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
My poor girl is sick!
« on: July 05, 2007, 04:40:16 am »
She tested positive for Lymes! :'( She doesn't have any signs of stiffness or pain. She doesn't behave any different but she did loose 4 lb in the past couple of months which made me worry. The Vet put her on 3 a day for a month atibiotics.
I don't know what to expect!? I know it is easily treatable for some dogs and fatal to others. Do any of you have any experience with the disease or suggestions regarding treatment and diet? Thank you for any input!
"To once own a Great Pyrenees is to love and want one always."
Mary W. Crane

I don't suffer from insanity; I enjoy every minute of it :)

marypyrs

Re: My poor girl is sick!
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2007, 05:37:53 am »
OH! Poor Lily Girl!  :'( Why did the Vet run the Lymes test without any symptoms other than the weight loss? Just wondering because we have had a lot Lymes up here and I wonder if you do too.

I had a horse with Lymes many years ago before anyone even knew what it was. I took a chance and pumped him full of antibiotics. And by some miricle he survived and lived a long and happy life. Although he ended up with arthritis in his front left. But his symptoms were severe and they'd come on suddenly.

Has Lily had the Lymes Vac? If she has, she will test positive. My Pyr, Quanah, did. Although it was another disorder that was causing his problems. I refuse to vaccinate any of my guys for Lyme now days. But I do use Frontline Plus (and hate doing it - but - - )

It seems to me that SC Trojans posted something on this topic a while back. Testing results, etc. She & some of the others more knowledgable than I will offer great advice on diet and immune builders, I'm sure.

My Vet is a terrific Internist. One of the best, I believe. He advised L-Carnitine, Co-Q-10, and Vit E in large amounts for Quahn for Immunodeficien cy.

If it IS Lymes, my understanding is that the proper type of antibiotic and amount given over a period of time is extreemly important. But, as I said, I'm not an expert in any way. These are just the experiences I have had.

HUGS to Lovely Lily! And her 'Mom' too. (My Guys loose a bit of weight in the summertime. Partly due to the seasonal "Pyrenees BLOW OUT", no doubt.)

Offline People Whisperer

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2007, 06:27:37 am »
OH! Poor Lily Girl!  :'( Why did the Vet run the Lymes test without any symptoms other than the weight loss? Just wondering because we have had a lot Lymes up here and I wonder if you do too.

I had a horse with Lymes many years ago before anyone even knew what it was. I took a chance and pumped him full of antibiotics. And by some miricle he survived and lived a long and happy life. Although he ended up with arthritis in his front left. But his symptoms were severe and they'd come on suddenly.

Has Lily had the Lymes Vac? If she has, she will test positive. My Pyr, Quanah, did. Although it was another disorder that was causing his problems. I refuse to vaccinate any of my guys for Lyme now days. But I do use Frontline Plus (and hate doing it - but - - )

It seems to me that SC Trojans posted something on this topic a while back. Testing results, etc. She & some of the others more knowledgable than I will offer great advice on diet and immune builders, I'm sure.

My Vet is a terrific Internist. One of the best, I believe. He advised L-Carnitine, Co-Q-10, and Vit E in large amounts for Quahn for Immunodeficien cy.

If it IS Lymes, my understanding is that the proper type of antibiotic and amount given over a period of time is extreemly important. But, as I said, I'm not an expert in any way. These are just the experiences I have had.

HUGS to Lovely Lily! And her 'Mom' too. (My Guys loose a bit of weight in the summertime. Partly due to the seasonal "Pyrenees BLOW OUT", no doubt.)
Lily is not on Vac for Lymes neither on heartworm med that is why I test her every six months to make sure she is healthy. I know plenty of dogs which got Lymes being on vaccine. I don't trust it either. Now I just have to pray that antibiotics will do the trick and she will start gaining weight back.
Mary W. Crane

mama23+pyrs2

« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2007, 06:54:54 am »
OH NO!!!!!!!  :'( Let us know how she is doing. I don't know anything about it either but it sounds like you got some good advice. Rememeber awhile back you posted about the marks left on her after the ticks and I think you mentioned Lyme disease back then...think that was it?

Offline People Whisperer

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2007, 07:00:34 am »
OH NO!!!!!!!  :'( Let us know how she is doing. I don't know anything about it either but it sounds like you got some good advice. Rememeber awhile back you posted about the marks left on her after the ticks and I think you mentioned Lyme disease back then...think that was it?
Yap, I had a bad feeling about it although it didn't look like Lyme rash. One day my husband brought her home with about 80 ticks. He said that 10 min after he got to the hiking trail he noticed ticks jumping on Lily and he turned around and ran back. But I guess 10 min was just enough >:( It took us almost a week to get those suckers out. Now we have to pay for it!
Mary W. Crane

Offline People Whisperer

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2007, 09:04:39 am »
You might want to look into something to help prevent this from happening again. If you don't use anything on her, you might want to start.

Someone on BPO posted this homemade tick spray recipe but I can't remember who, here it is:

Doggy Bug/tick Spray homemade

Mix 1 part palmarosa oil with 2 parts almond or olive oil.
You can add fresh lemon juice for added impact. You can also add citronella oil and lavender oil for flea repelling at the same time.  I use a dropper to drop on strategically where ticks go - back of head, neck, chest, under arms and belly and reapply every 2-3 days as needed. Many I know also use this recipe in other parts of the country where they have a larger problem, and they put in a small spray bottle, dilute with 50% water so that they can spray the solution all over their animal - avoiding the face and mucous membranes. This includes those I know in New England, where many live in fear of lyme.  It also makes a shiny coat"
That's what I use...as well as herbal tick collar which works awesome but I just bought it not so long ago...too late. We go hiking almost every day and ticks are her best friends..."NOT"
Mary W. Crane

Offline seaherons

• Big Paw Certified
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 05, 2007, 09:24:56 pm »
We regret to learn that Lily has tested positive for Lyme disease.  Did you have the vet repeat the test?  What type of test was done?  Curious about what antibiotic?  Curious about whether the vet is recommending the vaccine?  There is too much information of the internet regarding Lyme Disease.  There was an excellent article in our dog paper about Lyme Disaese this monnth and I will post some information about the testing when I can.  It is not an internet link so I will have to type the information in.  Hope you aand Lily are doing OK.   

Offline Jas2Cats

• Veteran Dog Chomper
  • All my babies :-)
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 05, 2007, 11:30:01 pm »
 :(  Poor Lily~!  At least it sounds like they caught it early.  That will help with her recovery~!  I have a friend who was finally diagnosed with Lyme this Spring, after having major medical problems for the last year.  Becuase it's so advanced, they say her recovery will take years, and she'll get worse before she gets better.
Alyce

Woody  (aka Big Dog) (12 1/2) Shorthaired Laberaimer (1/2 German Shorthair, 1/4 Lab, 1/4 Weimaraimer)
Maple (aka Princess Poo) (7 1/2) Boxer/ GS mix
Fuzzy (15 1/2)long haired tabby cat
Trouble & Double 3 1/2 year old African Leopard Tortoises.
Ed (17+) and Cris (13+) skin kids

Offline People Whisperer

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 05, 2007, 11:35:04 pm »
We regret to learn that Lily has tested positive for Lyme disease.  Did you have the vet repeat the test?  What type of test was done?  Curious about what antibiotic?  Curious about whether the vet is recommending the vaccine?  There is too much information of the internet regarding Lyme Disease.  There was an excellent article in our dog paper about Lyme Disaese this monnth and I will post some information about the testing when I can.  It is not an internet link so I will have to type the information in.  Hope you aand Lily are doing OK.   
She is not vaccinated and therefore doesn't need to be tested twice. She is on Doxycycline antibiotic. My vet does recommend vaccination for Lyme but I am sooo against of it. I know dogs have very bad side effects from it and the chances to ger the disease just as high as for not vaccinated dogs.
Mary W. Crane

Offline kathryn

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 06, 2007, 03:44:52 am »
I'm sorry to hear that Lily has tested positive for Lyme but at least it sounds like they caught it early.  Lots of good thoughts headed your way. 
Kaila - Belgian Malinois
Shiner - Malinois x Ridgeback
Toulouse, Cayenne, Raven - DSH

Due to recent budget cuts and the rising cost of electricity, gas and oil, as well as current market conditions, the Light at the End of the Tunnel has been turned off. We apologize for the inconvenience

Offline VdogLover

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 06, 2007, 03:49:43 am »
I'm sorry to hear about Lily. I have never dealt with Lymes so I can't help there but I will keep her in my thoughts for a speedy recovery.

Offline People Whisperer

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 06, 2007, 08:19:54 am »
Thank you all for the kind words!!! Lily and I are really appreciate it! It was a second day of pills today and she already ate twice as much than normal. I see it as a very good sign  ;D I will keep you posted
Mary W. Crane

Offline Duramax

• Majestic Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 06, 2007, 08:51:19 am »
i dont have any experience with lymes but i hope she recovers fast, sounds like you cought it early too which is a plus
Christina
mother of:
2 babies
2 great danes -Duramax
              -boog

"Some days you're the dog; some days you're the hydrant." -Unknown

Offline GoldenPyrs

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 07, 2007, 11:15:12 am »
Poor Lily!  I don't have any experience with Lyme's Disease either.  I'm sorry, I don't have any ideas for you but it sounds like you are on the right track with early treatment and a vet that you trust.  Please give Miss Lily a hug for me.  I hope that she's feeling better soon.   :-*

Oh, if you need any suggestions regarding foods to tempt a Pyr that's feeling kind of puny, that I can help with.   
Marie

And my pups:
Daisy a 9 y/o Golden/Lab mix
Sammy a 6-7(?) y/o Great Pyrenees adopted 3/07
Cassie a 3 y/o Pyr/Mystery Snuggle Bunny mix adopted 2/07

My angel girls waiting at the Bridge:
Cara 1989-2001 Great Pyrenees
Sally ? - 1993 Dobie(rescued '92)
Halley 2002-2006 Great Pyrenees