Author Topic: NDR-Please keep my friend in your thoughts/prayers  (Read 4977 times)

Offline LuvmyMal

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
NDR-Please keep my friend in your thoughts/prayers
« on: July 05, 2007, 09:07:07 am »
This is my best friend, he is like my little brother, one swimming accident and everything has changed. I really don't know where to begin, I have been crying and praying for 30 mins now. He dove into a pool almost 2 weeks ago, hit his head and crushed 3 vertebrea one being C5. He was taken to one hospital and transferred to CMC where the best trauma team is. He had spine surgery last Tuesday and seemed
to be recovering pretty well, a few days later they started keeping him medically sedated as he was getting very aggitated with the tubes and not being able to talk. He developed pneumonia and his lungs had fluid in them last weekend, they started him on medicine and had to revive him with an oxygen bag when they would bathe him. Yesterday,
one of Eric's lungs collapsed, they took him off the ventilator and put a trach in, everything was going well, then his lung collapsed, so the trach came out and he is on an oscalator, his isolator number was 9 and should have been 50, so more meds, they are keeping him medically sedated at this time and numbed his whole body, yes he is
still paralyzed from the shoulders down. Today his kidneys started failing so he is on dialysis. The doctors said he is a fighter and if he was not 23 he would not have made it this far. His family has been there daily for support and his grandparents are holding up very well, they are spending the nights in the waiting room that is
closest to ICU and declined the hospitality room incase they are needed. Eric is a fighter, very strong headed at first he was telling the drs and nurses that he was going to walk again, since his spinal surgery things are different. They are giving him a 25% chance of making it and as long as he is fighting they are going to keep
working on him. He is hooked up to so many machines and I remember when I saw him, I kissed him on the head and told him I loved him and everyone was thinking of him and his family, he winked at me and mouthed "I Love You Too" He also let me know he was not very happy with the tubes in his mouth and chewed on them, when I told him to stop he flared his nostrils at me and I told him to calm down and if
he was calm about things and did not chew they would be out soon, we were in hopes that the tubes would be out in 24-48 hrs at that time, one week later he is doing worse. We will be working on a charity event for him/his family as he will need inhome nursing care when he gets out of the hospital.

Offline kathryn

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
Re: NDR-Please keep my friend in your thoughts/prayers
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2007, 09:19:08 am »
Lots of healing vibes coming from Houston.  I hope your friend starts recovering very soon.  Big hugs to you as well. 
Kaila - Belgian Malinois
Shiner - Malinois x Ridgeback
Toulouse, Cayenne, Raven - DSH

Due to recent budget cuts and the rising cost of electricity, gas and oil, as well as current market conditions, the Light at the End of the Tunnel has been turned off. We apologize for the inconvenience

bigdogs@5501

« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2007, 09:21:17 am »
Keep your faith- he is young and he is a fighter- we recently had one of our fireman who is only 29, have a brain anuerysm, this was in March. He was also put into an induced coma and had problems with organs failing. He had a 35% chance of recovering- Today, he is almost back to 100%. I will pray for your friend and his family and you. You guys keep encouraging him to fight- and god bless all of  you.

Offline Scootergirl

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
    • Be my friend on myspace!
« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2007, 09:31:36 am »
I'm saying prayers all night for your friend. What is his name? Keep telling him to fight - you'd be amazed at the power of a strong will and lots of love.

Please let us know how he is doing. We're here for you.

Jeanne
"If you pick up a starving dog and make him prosperous, he will not bite you. This is the principle difference between dog and man." -- Mark Twain

Offline LuvmyMal

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2007, 09:48:05 am »
thank you his name is Eric Newell. They are limiting people seeing him right now as he has a lot of friends and it was overwhelimg to have that many people in ICU at one time. I just talked to a guy that was at the hospital and they are going to see how his breathing is in 48 hrs. also my sister works at that hospital, I will try to go up there tomorrow and atleast visit w/grandparents

Offline zchic

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
    • Tisha's Barkin' Bodega
« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2007, 10:04:03 am »
I am sorry to hear about your friend. Prayers and positive thoughts sent to your friend and his family.
-Jodi
Mom to:
Thorn- 8 year old fawn male dane
Morgayne- Wolfhound pup
Gracie- Merelequin (deaf) dane pup

1996-2007
Tisha...my best friend, I miss you girl.

Offline Duramax

• Majestic Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 05, 2007, 11:51:58 am »
lots and lots of big hugs thoughts and prayrs coming your way.
Christina
mother of:
2 babies
2 great danes -Duramax
              -boog

"Some days you're the dog; some days you're the hydrant." -Unknown

Offline navarre1316

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 05, 2007, 12:25:47 pm »
I'm so sorry to hear about your friend.  It's good that he's a fighter and he's young.  Keep doing what you did, tell him not to fight the machines to try and be as calm as he can because his body doesn't need the added stress right now.  And, like you said, the sooner he stops chewing on his tubes, the sooner they will come out (my uncle did the same thing!!).  This might be a bonus, it was for my uncle, tell him that the sooner those tubes come out he can start giving everybody h3ll!!!  But not too much!

I posted this before, it's my favorite:

God's will will never give you more than God's grace can get you through.

You and he are in my prayers.
God placed me on this earth to accomplish certain tasks...I'm so far behind I'll never die!!

Navarre: GSD 9/13/99-5/14/06 patiently waiting
Issabeaux: GSD 1/27/07
Daphne: Boxer
Stone: Siamese mix

Offline Ali

• BPO Fanatic
  • My girls!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 05, 2007, 06:58:59 pm »
OMG! What a horrible accident! I'm so sorry! All good thoughts going out to Eric and his loved ones....
Ali
mom of 4 humans AND
Tani (TAH-nee or rhymes with "Bonnie")- Aussie/Pittie?Boxer?Mutt!
Kai - Aussie/Dobie
Kenji - big ol' black cat
Mika and Nishi - kitty sisters, foster failures!
Tasia Ladysnake - ball python

EllieAndBlu

« Reply #9 on: July 05, 2007, 08:59:06 pm »
I am so sorry to hear about your friend's accident.
How scary. Sending tons of positive energy and healing vibes. You, Eric and his family are in my thoughts.

Offline LuvmyMal

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 06, 2007, 08:28:10 am »
Thank you to everyone, he has a great group of friends, I just got home from the hospital, things are getting worse, they are starting dialysis and giving him until the next week to progress, right now to scale his progression rate from 0-100 he is at 0. I told him tonight that I loved him and kissed him several times on the cheek and wiped the saliva from his face. He is still medically induced sleep. He also has brain damage now from the meds and is on an oscalator.

bigdogs@5501

« Reply #11 on: July 06, 2007, 08:32:17 am »
oh so sad, but dont give up on him. Keep letting him know that you are there- I bet that when you are talking to him- he knows it- Tell him to keep fighting- We are all praying for him and I have faith in prayer- Keep us updated and you take care of yourself- be careful going to and leaving the hospital.

Offline LuvmyMal

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 06, 2007, 08:49:06 am »
his grandparents told me that before he went in to surgery he told them to just let them die that he did not want to live like that. The most movement he will have if he pulls through is movement in his fingertips. We all know he does not want to live like he would if he comes through. Right now we are just praying that he is not suffering.

Offline LuvmyMal

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 07, 2007, 09:36:31 am »
Eric passed away today at 6:34 pm

Offline GoldenPyrs

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 07, 2007, 09:56:19 am »
I am so very sorry.  I didn't even know Eric and I'm in tears.  :'(  :'(  I'll be praying for you, Eric's family and other friends.  ((hugs)) 
Marie

And my pups:
Daisy a 9 y/o Golden/Lab mix
Sammy a 6-7(?) y/o Great Pyrenees adopted 3/07
Cassie a 3 y/o Pyr/Mystery Snuggle Bunny mix adopted 2/07

My angel girls waiting at the Bridge:
Cara 1989-2001 Great Pyrenees
Sally ? - 1993 Dobie(rescued '92)
Halley 2002-2006 Great Pyrenees