Author Topic: When I am old....  (Read 3078 times)

GYPSY JAZMINE

When I am old....
« on: July 18, 2005, 09:06:34 pm »
When I am Old..

I shall wear Turquoise and soft gray sweatshirts ... and a bandana over my silver hair.....and I shall spend my Social Security Checks on Sweet Wine and My Dogs.......and sit in my house on my well-worn chair.and listen to my dog's breathing.

I will sneak out in the middle of a warm Summer night and take my dogs for a run, if my old bones will allow..... and when people come to call, I will smile and nod as I show them my dogs...and talk of them and about them...

The Ones so Beloved of the Past and the Ones so Beloved of Today....

I still will work hard cleaning after them and mopping and feeding them and whispering their names in a soft, loving way.. I will wear the gleaming sweat on my throat, like a jewel. And I will be an embarrassment to all...and my family ... who have not yet found the peace in being freeThese friends who always wait, at any hour, for your footfall...and eagerly jump to their feet out of a sound sleep, to greet you as if you are a God.

With warm eyes full of adoring love and hope that you will stay and hug their big, strong necks...and kiss their dear sweet heads...and whisper to them of your love and the beautiful pleasure of their very special company....

I look in the Mirror.....and see I am getting old.... this is the kind of woman I am...and have always been. Loving dogs is easy, they are part of me, accept me for who I am, my dogs appreciate my presence in their lives...when I am old this will be important to me...you will understand when you are old....& if you have dogs to love too.

Author Unknown

Offline DixieSugarBear

• Golden Paws
    • View Profile
Re: When I am old....
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2005, 06:02:12 am »
That makes the idea of getting old not so bad.  I have to add that page to Dixie and Sugar Bear's scrapbook.  That will make a great page

Lisa
« Last Edit: July 19, 2005, 06:10:09 am by DixieSugarBear »
Lisa, owned by the following:
Sugar Bear - Great Pyrenees 4.5 yr.
Dixie Darlin - Great Pyrenees 4 yr.
Penny Lane - Great Pyrenees 2.5 yr.
Beauman - Great Pyrenees 14 months
Izzy - Great Pyrenees 14 month
Rosie - Great Pyrenees (at the bridge)

Offline Nina

• Supreme Drooler
  • In Loving memory 12/30/05 8:30pm We miss you
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2005, 09:08:23 am »
that's an awesome poem

Nina
Nina and Tim
Calgary, AB, Canada
Harley(Lab mix)
Dilbert(Pyr mix)At the bridge
Jolene (cat)

Offline Scootergirl

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
    • Be my friend on myspace!
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2005, 09:51:41 am »
Man! That sounds like me right now!! Does that mean I'm OLD???!!!
"If you pick up a starving dog and make him prosperous, he will not bite you. This is the principle difference between dog and man." -- Mark Twain

Offline Carolyn

• Big Paws-a-holic
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2005, 10:29:10 am »
Me too! Sometimes I think Im obsessed with my dogs, (I am).
Carolyn
Carolyn

Offline DixieSugarBear

• Golden Paws
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2005, 10:48:41 am »
I know I am obsessed with my dogs.  I like it that way.
Lisa, owned by the following:
Sugar Bear - Great Pyrenees 4.5 yr.
Dixie Darlin - Great Pyrenees 4 yr.
Penny Lane - Great Pyrenees 2.5 yr.
Beauman - Great Pyrenees 14 months
Izzy - Great Pyrenees 14 month
Rosie - Great Pyrenees (at the bridge)

Offline weimiemom

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
    • BPS- Stuff for  True Blue-Fans™
« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2005, 11:01:47 am »
I love that poem ...so much more than when I am an old woman i shall wear purple... I love my babyboy and will continue to treat my dos past, present and future like that!
Rescue an adult dog...they can teach YOU some new tricks!

Offline pndlake

• Leader of the Pack
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2005, 08:30:35 pm »
Great poem.  Sorry you young ones, I am already there but still a  ways to go.  Its not my fault.  I look at Niki and her muzzle is pretty grey, I noticed it getting that way a few years ago.  What breaks my heart is that I just noticed the grey starting to form around her eyes.  Its not her fault.  She went on her first speedboard ride yesterday and loved something new to do.  I learned to drive it while pulling a skier. What fun.  Even saw our first bald eagle with its mate.  So life is still good. 

By the way I have had several people say they could not see my avatar only a red X, can anybody else see it.  Thanks.  Peggy
Peggy