Author Topic: Aussie house training question  (Read 2136 times)

Offline lockhmm

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
Aussie house training question
« on: July 07, 2007, 06:57:12 am »
I have a bit of an odd problem. My 12 week old aussie has been great with house training. We take her out every hour and a half or so and she's had VERY few accidents. The only problem is she doesn't seem to want to hold it in the house for more than an hour or so. I've read that by this age they're able to hold it for at least a couple hours. When she does have a wee in the house, I never seem to catch her in the act, so I don't scold her (I've read it doesn't do any good because she did it a few minutes ago and won't have any idea why I'm angry). I'm afraid she's got the idea that it's okay to go in the house if she even has to go a little bit. Are my fears unfounded? Advice is appreciated.

Thanks in advance
Mitch

Offline navarre1316

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
Re: Aussie house training question
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2007, 11:56:04 am »
Are you crate training?  I have a 5month old and she has finally started to go to the back door when she needs to pee, which of course when she's in the house is every 20-30min!!!  But for now, I will let her run out every 20-30min if that means she'll get the idea. 

When I'm not home, she's in the crate.  Sometimes when I'm home she's still in the crate, but that's usually after she's been running around awhile.  She's just now started to have more "out of crate time".  And when I am home she only has access to the rooms that I can see her from, everywhere else is baby-gated off.  When I first brought her home she went to the bathroom in my guest room and then she would still try to get in there, so now it is TOTALLY off limits!!  Keeping her within sight will also give you a better chance at catching her so she can be taken immediately outside.  It is a bit annoying, as I'm sitting here I keep having to peek around the door frame to see what Issy's doing in the other room!!  Some dogs, like kids, take a little longer.  My first GSD never had an accident in the house, and I had him from 5weeks old, he was a dream!!!  Last month, Issy would be running through the room playing keep away with Daphne and in mid stride would stop and pee!!!  Good luck, she'll get it soon!
God placed me on this earth to accomplish certain tasks...I'm so far behind I'll never die!!

Navarre: GSD 9/13/99-5/14/06 patiently waiting
Issabeaux: GSD 1/27/07
Daphne: Boxer
Stone: Siamese mix

Offline lockhmm

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2007, 12:06:03 pm »
Yes, she is crate trained. She does great at night, and when we're out for a few hours. She's starting to get the idea to go to the door when she needs to go, but I've only actually caught her weeing on the floor twice, and she's done it at least 7 or 8 times. Little bugger. Thx for the reply, I'll keep my fingers crossed. :)

~Mitch

Offline Duramax

• Majestic Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2007, 01:01:42 am »
i also am a big crate training fan, but if you are not crate training, there are a  couple things you can do to help with the situation. in order to always be able to catch her in the act make sure she is always in the same room as you. if that is a problem then get a long lead that she can wear while in the house so she cant meander off by her self unnoticed, secondly, how much water is she drinking? i find that puppies often like to drink an unbelieveable amount of water, way way more than they need, you can moderate their water as long as you be sure they are getting the amount they need. this will result in less trips needed to the outdoors. but in the end if you still have to take her out every half hour or hour to get the job dont it's worth it. and soon that little bladder will grow and your problem will be solved! hope this helps
Christina
mother of:
2 babies
2 great danes -Duramax
              -boog

"Some days you're the dog; some days you're the hydrant." -Unknown