Author Topic: Drool in the water.  (Read 26844 times)

Offline Jakespal

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
Drool in the water.
« on: July 09, 2007, 08:39:42 am »
    We recently rescued an 8 year old Mastiff named Jake.  Although he belonged to our best friends (and next door neighbors), I have always been Jakes favorite person. This little fact can only mean something to those who are lucky enough to be chosen by one of these incredible creatures. 
    When Jake's owners had to move, it was decided that that move would be to hard on Jake, so he came to live with me. 
   Jake is in very good health despite his advancing years.  However, I do have one little problem regarding Jakes care.  When Jake eats and then drinks,  the food trapped in his cheeks gets  mixed with his drinking water.  This and the DROOL makes the water disgusting and undrinkable.  So I am changing his water 5 or more times a day.  So, how can I fix this? Is it even possible?  Maybe the dirty water wont hurt him a bit.  Could another Mastiff owner tell me what they do about it?  I suspect that many breeds have this problem, but there's just not a lot of information about drool...   I wonder why?   

lorim2

Re: Drool in the water.
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2007, 08:54:09 am »
Hi there...Welcom e to BPO!  Great Place ...I am still laughing a little at your post because I have a almost 2 yr old OEM named Marley and after he drinks from the bowl everyone runs!!  I dont know if there is a fix for this problem ...I have an auto water and also several large bowls around the house....I fill the auto everyday and change the bowls at least 5 or 6 times a day....Jake is very lucky to have you!  They are awesome babies who are so full of love!  Again welcome...By the way, I am Lori...Marley is just one of many at our house as you will see in my signature!!  Look forward to talking to you

Offline Britz

• Leader of the Pack
  • Mommy to Ethan, Kiera and Zeus
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2007, 09:00:38 am »
I have  no  info on the  subject, but  I wanted to say welcome to the group. Im  britainy  mmommy to  two  human kiddos ethan and Kiera and  One big  fur ball Zeus are Rotti
~Britainy
~Zeus-Rotti

Offline Gevaudan_Jo

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2007, 09:26:08 am »
When we got our first dane PUPPY, the breeder gave us a slop cloth, and said "you will need this" . i find it would be easier to use it to clean the slop from iside his lips than just drool from everywhere else... Maybe u can try that?

welcome to the board.
Jodi & Darcy
Proud Parents of
Zero-Bull Terrier
Jigsaw-Bull Terrier
Repo- Jigsaw's baby Bull Terrier
Reba-Chinese Crested
Pavi-Xolo
Simba,Sabbath,Kimahri, Lil' Meow & Slimon-Cats
Robin the hermit crab and the 8 legged freak, Webley!
~ waiting at the bridge, Zeus and Memphis, great danes ~

Lyn

« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2007, 09:50:15 am »
Ahhh yes the disgusting water bowl. Looks more like raw egg whites with chunks of kibble in it. LOL

Although my Saints have no problem drinking the slime it makes my stomach turn watching them drink it. Blech.. So I empty and refill all water bowls countless times per day. 

Offline Newly Newfed

• Top Doggie Dog
  • Sierra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2007, 01:44:04 am »
Hi and welcome to BPO!  I'm Stephanie, mom the the goofball in my avatar, Sierra.  She's a 5 1/2 month old Newfoundland and the light of my life.  We have many other pets as you can see in my signature below, but Sierra is the reason I ended up here at BPO.

Sierra also gets things caught up in her lips - food, tissues, dirt, leaves, sticks, cat litter...whate ver she's been chewing on, which is pretty much everything.  All of it ends up in her water bowl when she drinks along with a healthy dose of slobber.  I've never owned a Mastiff, but I can say, the hose idea is a good one.  Sierra will drop EVERYTHING and come running when she sees the hose is on.  Other than that I just change her water endlessly throughout the day.

I would guess that drinking their own slobber and pieces of food is fine for them.  Whenever she can sneak it behind my back, Sierra is perfectly happy drinking from our slimy frog pond and she hasn't gotten sick yet.  I have had to fight to keep my lunch down a few times, but she seems to like it!
Dogs are not our whole lives, but they make our lives whole - Roger Caras

Sierra-Newfoundland
Cody-Papillon
Oscar, Gina- Cats
Roxy-Ferret
Peaches, Sean, Thunderbolt, Chablis, Lucky, Miracle, Ivy, Riley-Whitetail Deer

Offline Newly Newfed

• Top Doggie Dog
  • Sierra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2007, 06:06:35 am »
Aww...poor Rollie!  I wouldn't want to drink out of it either!!!  I see what Sierra's dish looks like and she's still a baby...I can only imagine what the bowls look like after TWO adult Newfs have been in it!

Sierra-Newfoundland
Cody-Papillon
Oscar, Gina- Cats
Roxy-Ferret

Offline Fumble

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2007, 05:57:56 pm »
hi!!  welcome jake!!  fumble is the same way, he REFUSES to drink dirty water.. Just ask Kali and Laci's family he tipped over the water bucket every time it got dirty (and it was usually because he put his two front paws in it!) I refill his bowl all the time, although he's sort of anti drinking water right now, and all about getting 8 trays of ice cubes a day.  I think though he may not like the bowl?? HMM. maybe that's my weekend job! 
Definately get a towel and try to catch jake after he eats, then get all the yummy white drool before it gets in the bowl or lands on your or your ceiling (speaking from experience hehe)
"My newfoundlands live my life as passionately as i live theirs"
"I slip the hater of what i've become.  they slip the halter of what they've been, and we live together, passionately, changed"
-Both from "in the company of newfies"

WE REPRESENT THE LOLLIPOP GUILD!!!

Offline Sillygoose

• Top Doggie Dog
  • I love my dog!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 10, 2007, 08:53:50 pm »
Hello and welcome to the board. A slop clothe works well for me with my grown pyrs. It gets really messy in the water bowl and I changed the water often. Funny though Tripper has his own bowl of water in the kitchen and refuses to drink fromit, but loves to drink from the big bowl after teh other two have been drinking from it. Yuck!!!!

Offline happiday

• Veteran Dog Chomper
  • All I ever do is SMILE!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 10, 2007, 10:08:14 pm »
I suspect that many breeds have this problem, but there's just not a lot of information about drool... I wonder why?
Hi, and welcome!  I'm Salli, mom to Annie, a 7yo St. Bernard (rescued in March) and Grace, 6yo Golden Ret. mix.  I don't have experience w/ mastiffs, but I do know about drool, St.-style.  I think it's just one of those dirty little secrets everyone who has 'jowly' breeds knows about, but doesn't like to talk about.  It comes along with that precious, smooshy face!  You get the whole package, good and icky!  I wouldn't trade it for anything!  :)  Don't have a solution, but you've been given much good advice already.  Welcome to BPO!  This place is full of wonderful people.  We'd love to see lots of pics of your guy. 
Salli, Annie's mama!

Offline Newly Newfed

• Top Doggie Dog
  • Sierra
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 11, 2007, 02:26:56 am »
get all the yummy white drool before it gets in the bowl or lands on your or your ceiling

ugh!  Thanks for the warning of things to come...  I'm sure this will not go over well with my trendy, cares too-much-about-her-appearance 16 yr old daughter!!  I'm just imagining how the world will come to an end when she gets drool on her clothes before a date...

Sierra-Newfoundland
Cody-Papillon
Oscar, Gina- Cats
Roxy-Ferret

Offline Fumble

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 11, 2007, 05:44:07 am »
get all the yummy white drool before it gets in the bowl or lands on your or your ceiling

ugh!  Thanks for the warning of things to come...  I'm sure this will not go over well with my trendy, cares too-much-about-her-appearance 16 yr old daughter!!  I'm just imagining how the world will come to an end when she gets drool on her clothes before a date...
\

haha! i work with the elderly, and i'm glad they can't see me when i go back to work after my lunch break, esp on these hot days!  drool stains are soo much fun! heHE!
"My newfoundlands live my life as passionately as i live theirs"
"I slip the hater of what i've become.  they slip the halter of what they've been, and we live together, passionately, changed"
-Both from "in the company of newfies"

WE REPRESENT THE LOLLIPOP GUILD!!!

Offline Britz

• Leader of the Pack
  • Mommy to Ethan, Kiera and Zeus
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 11, 2007, 06:55:04 am »
Ewwww, hahah!  Well, we don't have droolers in the house but I'd like to welcome you anyway!  I'm Julie, mom to Jackie (border collie mix), Chamonix (Chammie-great pyr/bc), Charge (lab) and Tilly the cat. 

I'm not sure if we are lucky or if our dogs are really nasty (both, maybe?) but our kids drink out of the toilet. They even lift the lid up if it's closed...Nasty, but we keep our toilets REALLY clean because of it.   :P

haha  zeus trys that aswell  One  day  I flushed the toilet  when he was sitting at the door of the bathroom  and it kinda  creeped him out so now he is all iffy  about the scary  toilet bowl
~Britainy
~Zeus-Rotti

Offline stephkt

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 03, 2007, 08:10:09 am »
Hi,I have a Mastiff and know exactly what you are talking about. Stone's water gets changed 4 times a day and his bucket gets washed every night.
 Enjoy your wonderful dog, your so lucky he chose you!

Offline Imani's Mom

• Big Paws-a-holic
    • View Profile
    • My Chinchilla Page
« Reply #14 on: September 03, 2007, 06:14:39 pm »
I currently have three mastiffs and have, at various times, had up to five in my home.  The water is "served" in 2 gallon stainless steel buckets, elevated off the floor, with a rolled towel around the rim of each bucket, to (hopefully) catch the transferred slime from their faces after a drink.  Ok, so it doesn't always work, but it does cut down the amount we have to wear after each drink.  As for the slime in the buckets, my solution (we are still in the planning stages) is to buy and install one of the new automatic flush toilets just for them; the ones that use a sensor to detect motion and then flush- so each time one of the slimers gets a drink, the slime and goo gets flushed, and the "water bowl" refills with fresh clean water.

Weedsport, NY