Author Topic: Drool in the water.  (Read 26853 times)

Offline karateblossom

• Veteran Dog Chomper
  • skin and fur family of many children from ages 5 to 14 living at home; and eng mastiff named odin and a siamese named april. we are like alvin and the chipmunks meet garfield!
    • View Profile
Re: Drool in the water.
« Reply #15 on: November 25, 2007, 03:15:33 am »
omg....I'm laughing so hard!  we have to change odies water 6-7 times a day for that reason and the fact that he won't even begin to lap a bowl of water that has his drool in it!   recently we moved from city water to a rural coastal town with well water and we had to buy BOTTLED water for our boy.....it took him 6 months to start drinking the well water.  changing his water was expensive at first bcuz we had to change it so often.  as grose as it is......it is what makes them so kewl!
karma is kewl!

Offline slewis

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 30, 2007, 02:19:15 pm »
Hi  I have a English Mastiff myself and when we first got Titus we got him from a lady who lived in apartments but you are going to ware yourself out changing his water all day long i finally went to the store an bought one of those water dispenser and the sorta cut down on it but not really i wash the bowel out everyother day but i also have 4 other dogs so they dont seem to mind to drink after him.

Offline jagersmom

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 30, 2007, 05:47:22 pm »
HAHAHAHA Jager will slobber all in his water with "floaties" the the cat will come and drink after him. I figure the dog drinks out of the pool and I can't exactly flush that every day so a little drool in his bowl won't kill him  ;)
Dogs laugh.... by wagging their tails

Annette, mother to:

Jagermeister - Bullmastiff
Bacardi - DSH terror cat

Offline mynameislola

• Big Paws-a-holic
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 31, 2007, 10:08:39 am »
Has anyone tried those motion-detecting outdoor dog waterers?  We have used the hose end lickers with great success and are curious how big a mess the automatic ones can be.

Those hose end lickers are great for areas that rarely freeze.  No bowl filling and no drool.  Their main drawbacks include the mess under the spigot and the inability of monitoring fluid intake amounts.  We put the licker up on the lawn so the mess is somewhat contained.

Hubby says to add that watering them mostly outside helps keep the blobs of sandy drool off the walls. 
The canine kids:
     Cody Newfoundland
     Wally Italian Mastiff
     Zita Italian Mastiff
     Sparky Chihuahua

Offline maxsmom

• Leader of the Pack
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 31, 2007, 01:41:07 pm »
Welcome to the group.  I swear Max has holes in his mouth.  He doesn't have the loose jowls of some breeds and doesn't drool, but for every cup that goes in his mouth, 1/4 of it comes back out, food, water, etc.  He is a slob.  I take up all water dishes before I feed them and don't put them back until after everyone has eaten and walked around a bit.  That way I only have to refill water bowls 2 or 3 times a day and change it once.  Jake drools, but doesn't mess up a bowl of water, and Cody doesn't drool unless he is exicted or hot.  John, my oldest cat, drools like a fiend everytime he is being petted or brushed.  I have learned, not to love him too much when he is laying on anything cloth covered, bed, couch, etc.  He will soak the spot where he is laying.  The automatic flushing toilet sounds cool, but our dogs drain the toilet whenever they drink out of it, so for us it would be just refilling it. Congratulation s on your new addition and welcome.
Kathy
Max  2 Irish Wolfhound
Jake  2 Great Pyrenees
Cody   3 Tibetan Mastiff
ChiChi 1.5 Caucasian Ovcharka
John and Nicki Maine Coon cats

Offline karateblossom

• Veteran Dog Chomper
  • skin and fur family of many children from ages 5 to 14 living at home; and eng mastiff named odin and a siamese named april. we are like alvin and the chipmunks meet garfield!
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 12, 2008, 02:32:08 pm »
for odin, even the self releasing water disspensers are futile because he refuses to drink the 2" layer of slime at the bottom along with the wobblers floating on top.  He is quite funny, really-he wakes up and tells us "hey guys, gotta pee" then goes to his bowl and gives it the sniff and says "guys, there is drool in my bowl, please change it".  their big jowels n tongues are ironic compared to the amount of water they can actually lap up-and oh yes, the 3x amount that ends up around the dish!  We have graciously come to enjoy this unique mastiff quality.  A  giant bath towel around his water bowel daily helps with the 3/4 lost via his giant face.  I have given up on the "cute little doggie mat" that many pet owners display under their dogs food n water bowl.  There should be a mastiff book of not so pleasantries one must be required to read when bringing an eng mastiff into the home-they aren't  feng shui and will lay in the MIDDLE of your walk space, if you are out side or ANYWHERE they aren't ,they will whine like big ol babies to be with you, wobblers and slingers-need I say more (heaven help u if u have flat paint!), their tongues are big enough and their brains smart enough to clean your plate without evidence if u leave it unattended, 200lb paws hurt, yes my huevos are in the way and uncomfortable for public onlookers but they are mine, I can jump like a rabbit so don't think my size will stop me from catapulting over a 6ft security fence, I NEED something soft and big to lay my body on so if u don't provide your couch cusions will serve my slimy muzzle well-and the topics are endless.  they are a very kewl breed and aside from a dane or irish wolf hound or st bernard or maybe a comodore or a pug (a mastiffs alter ego)  -I don't think I'd own another type of furry family member.
karma is kewl!

Offline pitas

• Paw-meister
  • Mom! Let us out, please!
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 12, 2008, 02:55:45 pm »
Droolers and water slimers unite!  With our 4 Newfie puppers, we have to change the H2O bowls several times a day.  Maddie our one female will absolutely not drink out of a water bowl after one of the others. She will bark, carry on etc...until the water bowl is changed.  When I rinse the bowls and refill them, I make sure she gets water first.  The rest don't care what the water looks like.  Our McKayla pup will even go as far as running on the pool cover if there is even a drop of semi-frozen water.  There is also a hidden water bowl upstairs in one of the bathrooms for Maddie which always has fresh water for her.  Klondike is wise to it now but, has only slimed up that dish once.  He has probably forgotten it's there because he is pretty lazy.  We have contemplated putting an extra heated water dish outside now for winter.  Horses have those heated water buckets so the water doesn't freeze.  We might try that to cut down on the amount of crazy glue drool we find daily on the walls. 

Good luck and if the drool dries on the walls before you find it, use a great deal of elbow grease and warm water, it will come off! 

Anita & the 4 Newfies from NJ

Offline navarre1316

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 12, 2008, 03:16:09 pm »
HAHAHAHAHA  when I used to read the threads about the droolers, I always thought they've got to kidding!!  Some of the stuff that you wiper-uppers would relate to each other.  BUT now that Axle has infultrated the household, I to have become a wiper-upper!!  Even though he is a gigantic Akita, he has the jowls of a mastiff!!  I now know why people try to find bibs or bandanas, which I thought ridiculous before....but now I have crossed over;

My first experience with the slime in the bottom of the bowl...I have no words.  But, to all the wiper-uppers out there, even when Axle leaves my home, I will always be humbled!! :D
God placed me on this earth to accomplish certain tasks...I'm so far behind I'll never die!!

Navarre: GSD 9/13/99-5/14/06 patiently waiting
Issabeaux: GSD 1/27/07
Daphne: Boxer
Stone: Siamese mix

Offline karateblossom

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 12, 2008, 09:52:27 pm »
It is a humbling experience.... ..and to love them so, even after finding the slingers on the ceiling (and your favorite throw pillow or comforter that they managed to maneuver off of the bed for their slime comfort)! If he weren't so darned cute and sweet and goofy.......
karma is kewl!

Offline gredden

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 15, 2008, 11:12:54 am »
I have the same problem with Sebastian. There's nothing you can do except change the water.  I get we change his water 5 to 8 times a day. I am very lucky in that Sebastian does not drool except after drinking.

Offline marinafb

• Majestic Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 17, 2008, 08:31:28 am »
 ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

I got sick of hot foots and kicking the water bowel i put a bucket in the bath tub and that is were the get a drink now. Of course Bryce is the one slobbering up the water and my other 2 do not want to drink after he gets done i do not fill the bucket up all the way because i have to empty the bucket of slobber all the time! Oh well he's lucky i love him!
Freya-9 years collie shepard mix
Milo-6 years Pitt Bull
Bryce-3 years English Mastiff
Mab and Angus cool cats

Offline Guardian Angel's White lightning

• Top Doggie Dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 17, 2008, 08:51:19 am »
At the hotel this weekend, there was so much drool in the water bowl it clogged the sink!! GROSS..not only that, when i went to change his water bowl, mind you that was half full from what i thought...was all drool..... so grossed out..that is whatcha get though!

Offline karateblossom

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 17, 2008, 09:18:51 am »
ewwwwwww jaz!  dats nasty!  :)    Have ya ever busted arse because ya slipped one of the piles of slime that accumulate around the drinking dish post drink?  My poor baby gets the "awwweee, oooodiiiinnnnn n!".  He just goes and lays down and watches me.  He can't help it..lol.

Yesterday was monthly wall wiping day for me-slingers always end up in the craziest of places! :)   
karma is kewl!

Offline Ali

• BPO Fanatic
  • My girls!
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 17, 2008, 09:25:33 am »
Feeling luckier than EVER that Tani isn't a drooler... ;)
Ali
mom of 4 humans AND
Tani (TAH-nee or rhymes with "Bonnie")- Aussie/Pittie?Boxer?Mutt!
Kai - Aussie/Dobie
Kenji - big ol' black cat
Mika and Nishi - kitty sisters, foster failures!
Tasia Ladysnake - ball python

Offline karateblossom

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 17, 2008, 09:57:32 am »
Alì it is pretty grose!  :)  My favorite is when he gets a drink and I'm not paying attention and then walks by me for some loving and just about the time I realize he has a 10inch long wobbler hanging on one side he wipes it on me!  He gets the awweeeeeee oooooooddiiiii nnnnnnnnn!   :)
karma is kewl!