Author Topic: My Baby has Hypertrophic Osteodystrophy  (Read 6089 times)

Offline RMSChloe

• Big Paws-a-holic
    • View Profile
My Baby has Hypertrophic Osteodystrophy
« on: July 09, 2007, 11:26:21 am »
My Great Dane Chloe was diagnosed with HOD. It started up after she got her second set of shots. She came home and started a fever and stopped eating and drinking. She went back to the vet and he thought it was a reaction to the vaccinations, but when it acted up again the next week,and much worse he ran tests and told me she had HOD. She had to stay overnight with an IV and other meds. She had had a temp of 105.8 when she went in. I cried when he told me what she had, i knew her puppyhood was practically ruined. Since then shes had to have her medication changed three times because she didnt have any progress on them. she wakes up crying at night for her meds because shes in pain, and its hard for her to sleep, eat, or do much of anything when it acts up. she does have her good days though when its like nothing is wrong with her, but they are few and far apart. my heart breaks every day, shes my baby, and means so much to me..i hate seeing her like this
Shes not a dog... shes a Great Dane!

Offline GoldenPyrs

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
Re: My Baby has Hypertrophic Osteodystrophy
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2007, 11:31:29 am »
Oh my goodness, I'm so sorry that you and Chloe are going through this.  I don't know anything about HOD, but I'm going to google it when I finish.  I just wanted to say welcome to BPO and I hope that others here have some experience and support to add.  I'm glad that you found us.
Marie

And my pups:
Daisy a 9 y/o Golden/Lab mix
Sammy a 6-7(?) y/o Great Pyrenees adopted 3/07
Cassie a 3 y/o Pyr/Mystery Snuggle Bunny mix adopted 2/07

My angel girls waiting at the Bridge:
Cara 1989-2001 Great Pyrenees
Sally ? - 1993 Dobie(rescued '92)
Halley 2002-2006 Great Pyrenees

Offline zchic

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
    • Tisha's Barkin' Bodega
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2007, 12:08:31 pm »
Awe poor girl. She is a beautiful baby. Welcome to the board. I don't know a lot about HOD, but I have read some about it, I am sure it is hard to see your baby in pain.
-Jodi
Mom to:
Thorn- 8 year old fawn male dane
Morgayne- Wolfhound pup
Gracie- Merelequin (deaf) dane pup

1996-2007
Tisha...my best friend, I miss you girl.

Offline The Brindle Pack

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2007, 01:19:27 pm »
My thoughts are with you.

Offline RMSChloe

• Big Paws-a-holic
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2007, 08:37:34 pm »
HOD is hypertrophic osteodystrohy. .. what is happening is her bones are growing too rapidly and shes getting pain and inflamation in her joints. its also accompanied by a high temperature, not eating or drinking, etc. for chloe is seems to effect her back legs the most. i have to hold her back end up to pee or else she colapses and urinates on herself because it hurts too bad to squat. shes such an angel,  we never had problems with her with anything, and the vets love her, they told me how wonderful she was to have overnight when i picked her up. they said she just does anything she needs to do, and just wants to be loved. (like she doesnt get enough of THAT!)

Offline RMSChloe

• Big Paws-a-holic
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2007, 08:43:14 pm »
HOD in danes is very commonly due to vaccine reactions, so when you say your vet at first thought it was vaccine reaction and now has diagnosed it as HOD, it makes me think that your vet isn't connecting the two.

thanks a lot.. i was lucky enough to connect the two. lol i knew that they had found HOD acts up especially after a distemperment vaccine. my vet seems to know what hes talking about, but he did encourage me to do my own research, and i have. i even suggest drugs i think might help him. even injectable.. i already have the needles and syringes and stuff because i have racehorses, and the vets arent always there when you need them. my vet has been good to me, unfortunately hes on vaca this week and i had to see his replacement. but she was very nice and seemed to know a lot about it because she had taken those kinds of cases before. the only thing i cant find out is if the disease will definately last untill shes mature, or if theres anyway it can be stopped ahead of that time.

Offline RMSChloe

• Big Paws-a-holic
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2007, 08:44:36 pm »
My vet told me to go with large breed eukanuba puppy. he told me that was the best way to go, and i checked with a second vet on that, and they agreed.

Offline RMSChloe

• Big Paws-a-holic
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 09, 2007, 08:46:18 pm »
i just thought id this pic

chaosndestruction

« Reply #8 on: July 09, 2007, 11:26:20 pm »
I would definitely take Holly's advice too! Too much protein for your dane pup will make them grow too fast (growing too fast is also bad for the joints of large/x-large breeds) and won't help with the pain that your pup is already suffering with.

Your pup is adorable!!!

Offline RMSChloe

• Big Paws-a-holic
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 10, 2007, 01:29:41 am »
What brand of food do you reccomend holly (my question mark doesnt work, sorry!)

Offline sc.trojans

• Big Paws-a-holic
  • Gracie and Skylar
    • View Profile
    • Natural K9
« Reply #10 on: July 10, 2007, 01:37:31 am »

Just in case there is any need to further endorse Holly's input so far, I would like to encourage you to ensure that your vet accepts that the vaccine triggered the HOD and feed a better quality food than Eukanuba (not a good food for health of any degree).  You can go to www.naturapet. com to learn more about Innova and other brands (you can review their labels here) as well as find a supply store in your area that carries it.

HOD is well documented as a disease triggered by vaccination - particularly the distemper vaccine.  I agree with Holly that Linda, the Great Dane Lady is a great source for breed specific information on this. Here are a few sites just in case you haven't seen them as well:

http://www.weimclubamerica.org/health/2005update.html

http://critteradvocacy.org/K9%20Recommendations.htm

http://irishsetterclub.org/PDF/Final2007HODPaper.pdf

http://www.antechdiagnostics.com/clients/antechNews/2005/pdf/sep05.pdf

I hope your vet has discussed with you the dangers of ever vaccinating your pup again - she will be at extreme risk of developing increasing health problems with further injections.

Good luck!
SC Trojans
with Gracie and Skylar

Offline RMSChloe

• Big Paws-a-holic
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 10, 2007, 09:14:26 am »
I read what linda arndt said, and went and bought her eagle pack today... 44 bucks later...lol... but i dont really care. shes worth every penny. i was talking to the vet that takes care of my moms horse, she used to be an all animal vet but now just works with large animals. i told her about using Chloromycetin, she told me right away "oh that wont do anything thats just an antibiotic" but my thoughts is, if she doesnt know whats causing the HOD, this person has had a very great success rate using it, then what could it hurt and how could she say its not going to do anything... its just so frusterating. its so hard to decide whats going to be the best thing for her. i started her with the eagle pack and using the honey and apple cidar vinegar tonic.. she seems to like it