Author Topic: We're new to the board and have a question  (Read 4975 times)

Offline Bullies R our Babies

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
We're new to the board and have a question
« on: July 16, 2007, 10:07:29 pm »
Hi everyone....I'm new to posting but have been coming to the message board for a long time reading your advice.

Our little bully, Cheeto is constipated  :(  Is there anything (home remedy) I can give him to help relieve his discomfort??

I appreciate any advice you can offer.
Alice (in the pic) 3 years old (Eng Bulldog)
Chucky - 2 years old (Eng Bulldog)
their son, Cheeto - 1 year

Nicole

Re: We're new to the board and have a question
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2007, 10:10:12 pm »
You can give him some fish oil capsules. They're inexpenisve and work pretty well. Also, flax seed oil is a fantastic nautural laxative. Its available at most health food stores. The fish oil you can buy in the vitamin aisle of any grocery store or Wal-Mart.

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2007, 10:44:45 pm »
The luke warm tub does not sound weird at all and as a matter of fact, I tried it lastnight.  He loves the water but I could barely keep his hiney in it.

We've been raising bullies for just over 3 years (Alice was our first) and I thought I had dealt with everything just about but they are always coming up with something new.  In general, all 3 of my bulldogs are in great health.  At first, I thought it was his ingrown tail giving him some discomfort.  I stay on top of the wrinkles and that tail to avoid this kind of thing.  But yesterday, I realized he couldn't poop.  We've dealt with the runs a couple of times and now we're dealing with constipation.. ...poor Cheeto is just realllllly uncomfortable with this. 

I tried the fish oil, we'll see if that helps the poor lil guy.  How long does it normally take to help?

Offline happiday

• Veteran Dog Chomper
  • All I ever do is SMILE!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2007, 10:50:24 pm »
I just wanted to say HI and Welcome to the board. 
Salli, Annie's mama!

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2007, 02:04:12 am »
Well, the fish oil hasn't kicked in yet.  Can anyone tell me how often is safe to give it to an English Bulldog and how long does it normally take to help?

Offline fivestartaylor

• Full Fledged Chewer
  • Scooby & Kids
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2007, 02:19:12 am »
I swear by baby food prunes - worked for my kids works for the dogs.Although usually it's the opposite I have to deal with seeing as how Scooby WILL NOT leave a trash can alone.AAHHH
Mom To :

Scooby 18mo. Great Dane
          &
Lucy   7yr old Labrador Retriever

2 Kids & 1 Husband -(might as well be another kid)

Nicole

« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2007, 03:09:28 am »
Well, the fish oil hasn't kicked in yet.  Can anyone tell me how often is safe to give it to an English Bulldog and how long does it normally take to help?

Well, to tell you the truth, you can't give too much. If you haven't seen results, give a little more.

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2007, 03:11:55 am »
He's a svelt 67 lbs.  He's the baby but he's our biggest.  I'm using the capsules and only gave him one so far stuffed in a piece of hotdog.  I'll get the oil though if he doesn't get some relief soon.

Thanks for all the advice.  I thought of prunes but bulldogs bodies tend to reject some things moreso than most breeds and I don't want to give him worse gas pains than he's already having.

He JUST had his checkup two weeks ago and all was good.  I did call the vet and made another appointment but I just hate seeing him so miserable until the vet can see him.

Offline GoldenPyrs

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 17, 2007, 04:54:09 am »
Welcome!  I'm mom to three kids, 3 dogs and our kitties.  Our little dog pack consists of Daisy our 8 y/o Golden/Lab mix that is my shadow, Cassie our 2 y/o Pyr/and something pretty and sweet mix, and Sammy our 5-ish y/o Pyr that makes a very loving & adorable floor covering.  ;)  ;D  Yep, as usual they are all napping by my feet.  I think that I need to get them into doggy aerobics or something.   :-\   Welcome to BPO and I hope that Cheeto is feeling fine soon!
Marie

And my pups:
Daisy a 9 y/o Golden/Lab mix
Sammy a 6-7(?) y/o Great Pyrenees adopted 3/07
Cassie a 3 y/o Pyr/Mystery Snuggle Bunny mix adopted 2/07

My angel girls waiting at the Bridge:
Cara 1989-2001 Great Pyrenees
Sally ? - 1993 Dobie(rescued '92)
Halley 2002-2006 Great Pyrenees

Offline ZooCrew

• Tail Wagging Champ
  • Never say Never to a pet in need
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 17, 2007, 09:36:38 am »
Well, first of all, hello and welcome!
Sorry to hear Cheeto (cute name) is a bit blocked up.  I had the same problem about 7 mo ago with my smallest dog.  She had eaten a pantyliner when in heat and I was really worried surgery was going to be in short order.

But I called the vet to see if there was anything else I could try, as my vet is a 3+ hr trip away, and he suggested giving her mineral oil.  Worked like a charm in about 2 hrs.  I think for her size, the dose was 3cc's (but I'm not positive)......and I believe that equaled out to around 1-2 teaspoons (like I keep syringes lying around).  You can find mineral oil at the local drugstore.

Good luck.
chris

Offline Sillygoose

• Top Doggie Dog
  • I love my dog!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 17, 2007, 09:40:27 pm »
Welcome to the board. The oil I'm sure will do the trick. Maybe callyour vet and see how much to h=give him. Good luck.