Author Topic: Help Training Rottie  (Read 5273 times)

Offline Mama2McKenna

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
Help Training Rottie
« on: July 02, 2007, 04:15:20 am »
We have a 9mos old female rottweiler. I am having so much trouble training her. She listens when she wants. I trained my st.s and they were nothing like this, even the difficult one would listen.
She is a VERY strong girl (other rottie owners are blown away) and she is super hyper. I really need to get her under control. I have a crate for her and when she is not listening or getting out of control she goes in it. She knows the word "kennel" and as soon as I say it she stops whatever she is doing and walks away. My 5yr old St. sometimes steps in if she is not listening.
I have seen how good rotties and be, and I know they are very willing to learn. I love her and I really need help! I have a 2yr old and a 9mos old (children) and I need her to able to be around them.
I was going to use bark busters, but out here it's '$700!! Does anyone know of anything that will help, or any advice? maybe a resonably priced Rottie trainer in San Diego Co.?
Please help!

Offline Britz

• Leader of the Pack
  • Mommy to Ethan, Kiera and Zeus
    • View Profile
Re: Help Training Rottie
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2007, 05:22:54 am »
Welcome Im also a rottie  owner  my lil  guy  is  only  3mths ol  though. zeus  goes through the same thing with the not listening.. TREATS  work  wonders for him though.  IM sure you will get lots of great  advice here and  We all woudl love to see photos of your big paws
~Britainy
~Zeus-Rotti

lins_saving_grace

« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2007, 07:50:08 am »
welcome to BPO!  you'll definately get a lot of good ideas here. 
can i offer a few?  i'm the BPO hard nose rottie owner too!  :)
get her under control at 9 months before she can take you down at 12 first of all.  you are the boss...tell her that. if she doesn't listen...get in her face and make her listen.
Grace may be spoiled...but she earned spoiled.  she's well behaved and knows i'm the boss.  if she forgets i don't have a problem reminding her.  she forgets to listen sometimes...so i flip my 104 pound monster over on her back and refresh her memory.  i growl and bark at her and i nuzzle her head like her mother would have. 
Rotties are stubborn most of the time.  not all of them are.  they are smart and determined.  we're more determined and we have to act the part. 
email me if you have any specific questions. 
before my divorce, my ex and i had 2 rotts (both under 2) at the same time.  if that doesn't make you feel like the boss, nothing will.  I walked them together, i played with them together, i raised them together.  they turned out better than most little dosil dogs.

Offline kathryn

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2007, 07:52:39 am »
Not sure if this will help or not but my old Rottie/Shepherd was super smart and pretty easy to train.  Now however my Malinois, Kaila, is super smart but I have to train her in very short increments of time.  She gets bored way to easily plus she doesn't see the point in a long repitition of the same commands.  Barrett was kind of the same way as Kaila.  Another thing that helps is lots of playtime before a training session.  Either a walk, fetch, or chase takes the edge off the high energy dogs to let them start to focus more on you.  Plus around 9 months they hit the "you're not the boss of me" stage where they are testing you on pretty much everything you say.  That's just some of the stuff I've seen with my high energy dogs.  By the way, welcome to the board.
Kaila - Belgian Malinois
Shiner - Malinois x Ridgeback
Toulouse, Cayenne, Raven - DSH

Due to recent budget cuts and the rising cost of electricity, gas and oil, as well as current market conditions, the Light at the End of the Tunnel has been turned off. We apologize for the inconvenience

Offline Britz

• Leader of the Pack
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2007, 12:37:50 am »
I agree  with  Lin You really need to show  the pup  who is boss.  The  ladies and guys  here  have gave me tone of advice for  my  Rotti and there ahs been a great  change in him sence i joined .. *  Lol and that he is now a house dog  lmao* 
~Britainy
~Zeus-Rotti

lins_saving_grace

« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2007, 12:57:36 am »
I agree  with  Lin You really need to show  the pup  who is boss.  The  ladies and guys  here  have gave me tone of advice for  my  Rotti and there ahs been a great  change in him sence i joined .. *  Lol and that he is now a house dog  lmao* 

SAWEEEEETTTTTT T!!!!!   Good boy, Zues!!!  and good mommy for practicing what we preach!  that's always important too.  it's a rottie thing i think.
now go get in that baby stroller and show auntie Lin your best baby look, Zues.  :)  i want a bonnet on that boy's head and a blankey over his little body.  and some booties on all 4's please!
« Last Edit: July 03, 2007, 12:58:22 am by Lin »

Offline Britz

• Leader of the Pack
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2007, 01:09:37 am »

SAWEEEEETTTTTT T!!!!!   Good boy, Zues!!!  and good mommy for practicing what we preach!  that's always important too.  it's a rottie thing i think.
now go get in that baby stroller and show auntie Lin your best baby look, Zues.  :)  i want a bonnet on that boy's head and a blankey over his little body.  and some booties on all 4's please!

hahahaha Now wouldnt taht  be a pic in a half lmao
~Britainy
~Zeus-Rotti

Offline Mama2McKenna

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 05, 2007, 03:03:24 am »
Thanks for your help everyone! I've used treats, but she is so sneaky she knows when I don't have them, and therefore won't listen.
She is a very submissive dog, I can easily roll her over, and she is always licking. I've noticed that if I get down on her level and look her straight in the eye she will back down first and then she listens really well for a while.
Most of her problems are usual puppy problems. She jumps, she gets in your face, she has terrible seperation anxiety, even when we go to bed.

lins_saving_grace

« Reply #8 on: July 05, 2007, 03:10:24 am »
If getting on her level and in her face works than do that all the time.  Grace is a more of an in your face kinda girl too.

Offline 2Criminals

• Grand Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 05, 2007, 03:16:56 am »
Have you tried clicker training?

lins_saving_grace

« Reply #10 on: July 05, 2007, 03:19:46 am »
Have you tried clicker training?
i've been meaning to get one of those.  i have a handy whistle that works wonders on Grace.

Offline Britz

• Leader of the Pack
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 05, 2007, 04:05:31 am »
What I have heard about  clicker training is that it  works  great  actually  Jenn * ithink*  Gave me a link I can't seem to find it  right now but I ordered a book and  clicker  etc.  It  may  work  for your gal
~Britainy
~Zeus-Rotti

Offline lokibud

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 13, 2007, 07:21:43 pm »
(I apoligze before hand for my spelling and grammer) My rott had a big problem with trying to race you stairs and walk under your feet. i relized that if my wife and i didnt correct this problem one of us was going to take a tumble. We trained him to sit, lay down, and wait. placed a treat on the floor told him to wait and if he tryed to grab the treat without permission we took it away from him and tried again. now that he has learned this, we havent had a problem since. when he gets excited over other dogs or children playing we tell him to LOKI!!! WAIT!! with a very stern voice and he is more than willing to please you. we have learned that using you dog's name before every command with a stern but not loud voice gets their attention when they are preocupied. the key to sucess with a rott the paitaince paiatince paitaince

Offline VdogLover

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 14, 2007, 11:23:46 pm »
My first question as a trainer would be~ How much exercise is this dog getting?
After all a tired dog is a good dog and far easier to work with.