Author Topic: Large Butt  (Read 3874 times)

Offline azure44

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
Large Butt
« on: June 02, 2007, 05:33:59 am »
My dog is huge :o. I thought he'd be a little smaller since he's half pyr/australian shepherd. My sister has a little teeny tiny dog and I wanted my dog Balloo, to like him. It didn't go so well. He almost trampled him and I was even holding him. How do I get my dog to like  small dogs?

Offline Newly Newfed

• Top Doggie Dog
  • Sierra
    • View Profile
Re: Large Butt
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2007, 08:55:56 am »
Well, was Balloo just trying to play and doesn't know his own strength?  We have two fawns in our house that we are bottle feeding and Sierra doesn't mean to be rough with them, she just doesn't know to be more gentle.  She spends supervised time with the fawns and is slowly learning that even though they are the same height as her, they ae much more fragile...
Dogs are not our whole lives, but they make our lives whole - Roger Caras

Sierra-Newfoundland
Cody-Papillon
Oscar, Gina- Cats
Roxy-Ferret
Peaches, Sean, Thunderbolt, Chablis, Lucky, Miracle, Ivy, Riley-Whitetail Deer

Offline azure44

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2007, 11:14:26 am »
No, he growled....

Offline azure44

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2007, 11:41:45 am »
Thank you

Offline Sillygoose

• Top Doggie Dog
  • I love my dog!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2007, 08:46:27 pm »
How old is Baloo? I agree supervised visits is the way to go. I doubt Baloo would hurt the litte dog, but you can never be sure until they are really aquainted with each other.

Offline CrazyLoveRosie

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2007, 09:03:38 pm »
Having them meet in a more 'neutral' place might be good too, like the park instead of at your house. Baloo might be exerting his alpha dog behavior around his turf.

Rosie's had a bad encounter with a hyper Labrador before that was growling and showing his teeth at her when we took her to his house. After restraining him for some time, he calmed down and they started sniffing each other. After that they were the best of friends. We avoided the same first encounter later by meeting up during a walk first before going to his house first.
Rosie - Newfoundland

Offline BigSoftandFluffyLover

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2008, 10:35:04 pm »
Hi there,
Im sorry to say but this is not a trait that im used to with this breed.  I know that Rasputins mother would get like that after the puppies were grown up but Rasputin loves all dogs, just doesnt know what to do with them.  I moved into a house with a 5 year old tea cup Chiuahua who is an alpha female from h*ll.  She still gets growly and posessive but hes always trying to play.  The only issue i see with this is that there is no way for them too, hes just too big!!!  ;)

Offline maxsmom

• Leader of the Pack
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2008, 11:03:17 pm »
Jake is not okay with small dogs if they bark or growl in his face.  He will retaliate.  He is fine with my daughter-in-laws 4lb chihuahua, but in public, if a small dog runs up to him growling or barking, he lunges for them.  I have learned to avoid small dogs, when I am out with him and to make sure that I have a hand on his collar, not leash.  I have had them round the endcap at Petsmart right in his face and the only thing I could do was lift his front end off the floor and move him away. I have pushed them away with my foot, when they tried to follow.  I have also had owners yell at me for pushing their little baby.  I had one lady that kept yelling at me, I turned around and offered to let Jake go, if she was ready to assume responsiblity for the consequences.  Her dog was just the right size for a small snack.  I don't think he would really eat them, but I am not willing to take the chance.  He is fine with my cats, but they are ours.
Kathy
Max  2 Irish Wolfhound
Jake  2 Great Pyrenees
Cody   3 Tibetan Mastiff
ChiChi 1.5 Caucasian Ovcharka
John and Nicki Maine Coon cats