Author Topic: Changing Vets... SOOOO fed up!  (Read 4892 times)

Offline RMSChloe

• Big Paws-a-holic
    • View Profile
Changing Vets... SOOOO fed up!
« on: July 15, 2007, 09:37:41 am »
Im so frusterated with my vet im changing tomorrow morning! He just doesnt care! When i had x-rays done of my pup he told me she has HOD, he was supposed to call me the next morning with the results of her bloodwork... HE DIDNT... he went on vacation for a week so i had to see his fill in when my pup really needed stronger meds because she hadent been able to walk in 3 days, she changed me but it didnt work either, and then she finally did what i wanted (which did help), then I wanted to talk to my regular vet about other options i could start immideately. Since he was on vacation it wasnt like i could talk to him right then, but they did tell me he was coming in to do a surgery and they would have him call me. well when he hadent called by 2 i gave them a call. they told me he did the sugery AND LEFT!

When i needed a perscription for some meds for my pup, they wouldnt give me one because they didnt carry it at the office.. hello, isnt that WHY they would need to write me one. So when i went to my other vet for my horses to get a perscription he wanted to see her x-rays and blood work. he told me he didnt think she had HOD.. he thinks she just has a bacterial infection of the bone! and he wanted a second opinion as well so he is sending it to a vet he knows in canada, he says shes the best vet hes ever known. im just glad one vet is interested in helping. the only problem is i only see him on race nights at the track.(which is only 4 days a week, and hes mostly tied up at night checking the horses all night) sooooooooo i have a HUGE headache! i just needed to vent about how aweful some vets are!!!
Shes not a dog... shes a Great Dane!

Offline zchic

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
    • Tisha's Barkin' Bodega
Re: Changing Vets... SOOOO fed up!
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2007, 09:42:08 am »
I agree get a new vet. I finally found one I really like. He is worth his weight in gold. He does mastiff rescue, so he is really great with big dogs. I hope your poor girl gets a vet that gives her the treatment she needs
-Jodi
Mom to:
Thorn- 8 year old fawn male dane
Morgayne- Wolfhound pup
Gracie- Merelequin (deaf) dane pup

1996-2007
Tisha...my best friend, I miss you girl.

Offline VdogLover

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2007, 09:43:25 am »
 I'm sorry for all the stress the vet is putting you in. There are sooo many bad vets out there when you find a good one grab on and don't let go.
I'm not sure if you know of this site http://www.vetratingz.com/index2.jsp
I think its a great tool for pet owners and wish everyone would take the time to add their vet if not there and rate away.

Offline Duramax

• Majestic Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2007, 09:49:06 am »
that's terrible! ya it's a good thing if you dont ever go back there. no matter how much education a vet has, i think that they are worthless unless their heart is in it. and you can tell. glad to hear that you got in touch with some one who does, good luck with the results. hope they return to you with good news!
Christina
mother of:
2 babies
2 great danes -Duramax
              -boog

"Some days you're the dog; some days you're the hydrant." -Unknown

Offline RMSChloe

• Big Paws-a-holic
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2007, 09:51:46 am »
i just need some answers! last night i didnt get to bed untill 6am. she was up all night crying.. first she had a fever, then the pain just wouldnt go away! i felt helpless, and not to mention exhausted! i just dont want to do the wrong thing, but i want to do something immediately. its not fair for her to be crippled like this and in so much pain! it breaks my heart

Offline LuvmyMal

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2007, 10:04:20 am »
I agree on getting a new vet! Honestly, I have 2 wonderful vets at Banfield inside PetsMart, one is from Canada and one has worked on all types of animals. There is a 3rd vet, but I have not had a lot of dealings with him. I drive 45 mins one way to take Adak there. If I need a prescription that they don't carry, they are even willing to fax to me or to the place where I am getting it filled.

Offline RMSChloe

• Big Paws-a-holic
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2007, 10:05:39 am »
I agree on getting a new vet! Honestly, I have 2 wonderful vets at Banfield inside PetsMart, one is from Canada and one has worked on all types of animals. There is a 3rd vet, but I have not had a lot of dealings with him. I drive 45 mins one way to take Adak there. If I need a prescription that they don't carry, they are even willing to fax to me or to the place where I am getting it filled.

i know, its rediculous that they wouldnt give me a perscription because they dont have it in the office. wouldnt that really be the reason for writing me one..

Offline ZooCrew

• Tail Wagging Champ
  • Never say Never to a pet in need
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2007, 10:31:21 am »
I agree, that vet doesn't sound too much like he wants to keep clients around.

I know my vet will write a prescription for meds if he doesn't have it in the office.  In fact, if the human grade is cheaper, he will write one to save the client some money as well.  I like him so much that while I'm here in MN (he used to be my old vet when I lived in SD), I drive 3+ hrs to see him for appts......... although I do have a vet here if I need to get in right away.

I hope you can find a good vet you trust, it can be so hard these days to find a vet with heart, not just knowledge..... ...who is still in it for the animals and not just to make a buck.

Offline GoldenPyrs

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 15, 2007, 12:04:43 pm »
I'm so sorry that you and Chloe are having such a hard time with this vet.  I definately wouldn't put up with it, either.  Since this has been going on for a while and she is so miserable  :'(  it's certainly time to escalate this to a higher level of care.  I agree with Stella that contacting the Dane Club in your area should give you a good start and maybe they can recommend a good orthopedic surgeon to consult.  Poor Chloe, it's awful that the previous vet seemed to care so little!   >:(
Marie

And my pups:
Daisy a 9 y/o Golden/Lab mix
Sammy a 6-7(?) y/o Great Pyrenees adopted 3/07
Cassie a 3 y/o Pyr/Mystery Snuggle Bunny mix adopted 2/07

My angel girls waiting at the Bridge:
Cara 1989-2001 Great Pyrenees
Sally ? - 1993 Dobie(rescued '92)
Halley 2002-2006 Great Pyrenees

Offline RMSChloe

• Big Paws-a-holic
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 16, 2007, 12:10:17 am »
I know... I agree with you all. Its a sad thing.. and the way i see it, pets shouldnt get any less care than people do at the doctor, and thats the way i want my pup treated! i have to look at it and say "would i be happy if my doctor did this or that to me, or treated me this way". im going to a new vet today... well sort of new. i had been to him a long time ago when a stray cat had kittens and one of them broke its hip. he told me i had the option to have surgery on it, put it down, or see how it went for a while and then decide what to do. he had me come in the day i called, and didnt charge me anything to have him look at the kitten. i will say, he is a little crazy, but if he knows what hes talking about, and wants to help my baby, then crazy is okay with me! i called this morning and they got me right in for an appointment at 1pm. i called my old vet to have them fax over the records and they were so rude. the girl was like "well we will get around to that sometime today".. and i was like, noooo NOW! it wasnt her business she was losing, it was the vets. now i know i will NEVER go back there!

Offline RMSChloe

• Big Paws-a-holic
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 16, 2007, 12:11:25 am »
My baby... shes so sad!

Offline RMSChloe

• Big Paws-a-holic
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 16, 2007, 12:12:19 am »
My baby... shes so sad!

you really have to click on that pic to see the enlarged photo and look at her eyes... you can see shes hurting

Offline navarre1316

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 16, 2007, 12:21:04 am »
GOOD!!  I'm glad you got an appt today!  Crazy or not as long as he helps your girl that's all that matters!!  My vets office is awesome, they know what they're doing but are not afraid to tell you if they are going to call someone else for a second opinion.  One of the vets can be a little harsh sometimes (doesn't bother me at all), but it's because she doesn't sugar-coat things she tells you how it is.  Some people are a little leary of her because of that, but I'd rather know everything straight out than have a vet tell me what they think I want to hear.  Good luck today, oh, your baby is BEAUTIFUL, I love that color!!
God placed me on this earth to accomplish certain tasks...I'm so far behind I'll never die!!

Navarre: GSD 9/13/99-5/14/06 patiently waiting
Issabeaux: GSD 1/27/07
Daphne: Boxer
Stone: Siamese mix

Offline zchic

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
    • Tisha's Barkin' Bodega
« Reply #13 on: July 16, 2007, 12:53:40 am »
I am soo glad that you have an appointment for her. With a condition like this I can't believe that your old vet was so uncaring. That makes me sick. This baby needs special care NOW to ensure her future. Look at her little face. I am sure you have already done this, but if I was in your shoes, I would be reading everything I could get my hands on about HOD, and calling anyone that was willing to talk to me about it so that I could be educated when I walked into the vets. That way you can ask questions and make the vet do the right thing.
-Jodi
Mom to:
Thorn- 8 year old fawn male dane
Morgayne- Wolfhound pup
Gracie- Merelequin (deaf) dane pup

1996-2007
Tisha...my best friend, I miss you girl.

Offline RMSChloe

• Big Paws-a-holic
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 16, 2007, 03:13:13 am »
oh i have read everything i could. i just got back from my vet appointment. i was there for an hour and a half! he went over her nose to tail, and wanted to know EVERYTHING and went over her records with me... what shocked me was how WRONG her records were. they had wrong weights recorded, wrong dates... EVEN THE WRONG BIRTHDATE AND AGE! how absurd! how much can you really NOT CARE!! my new vet is awesome! he told me how bad he feels for her and he was going to do whatever it took to make her feel better and get her through this, and he told me he was going to call me tomorrow to check up on her. they helped me out to the car and everything, they were awesome! the other vet just stood around and watched me struggle to get my pup to the car, shes just under 40lbs! its not easy! no matter how strong you may be (and i am pretty strong) that pup is heavy and hard to get around when she cant help you at all! he gave me 2 perscriptions and told me when to use them and so on and so forth. i was just so happy with them already. i was actually talking to a woman in the waiting room with her dog who used to take her dog to the vet i was at before, and we even had the same vet there.. she said she would never go back!