Author Topic: Dalmation with allergies?  (Read 2868 times)

Offline cynful02

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
Dalmation with allergies?
« on: July 16, 2007, 08:47:20 am »
Hi, my 7 month old dalmation appears to be losing his hair.  His skin is not irritated but you can see his hair is thinning around the hind legs.  Any suggestions?

Offline kathryn

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
Re: Dalmation with allergies?
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2007, 09:56:21 am »
Hi and welcome to the board.  Have you had him scraped to make sure he doesn't have mange?  He's still young enough to have puppy mange.  Last summer Shiner had some red patches on his belly and it turned out the big dope was laying on a weed in the backyard and was having an allergic reaction to the weed.  Probably the sap in the weed and it was his favorite place to lay.  Without seeing it, it's hard to identify but if it's concerning you then I would make a trip to the vet. 
Kaila - Belgian Malinois
Shiner - Malinois x Ridgeback
Toulouse, Cayenne, Raven - DSH

Due to recent budget cuts and the rising cost of electricity, gas and oil, as well as current market conditions, the Light at the End of the Tunnel has been turned off. We apologize for the inconvenience

Offline Ali

• BPO Fanatic
  • My girls!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2007, 10:45:17 am »
Hi and welcome! I once had a dalmation that had "dalmation bronzing disease". Her hair would thin and look like it had a yellowish stain on it, but just in one area on her back. It was odd looking, but turned out to be no big deal. As I recall, it was treated with just a vitamin or mineral pill of some kind (over the counter - not expensive) or something that she took every day. Nothing serious. Good luck!
Ali
mom of 4 humans AND
Tani (TAH-nee or rhymes with "Bonnie")- Aussie/Pittie?Boxer?Mutt!
Kai - Aussie/Dobie
Kenji - big ol' black cat
Mika and Nishi - kitty sisters, foster failures!
Tasia Ladysnake - ball python

Offline cynful02

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2007, 11:31:55 am »
Thank you all for the advise, I have been looking into the bronzing which may be the issue.  I will take the advice and take him in to his vet.  At least it does not seem to itch and bother him.  I've got to post pictures soon, as everyone one else.  Happy to be part of this site  :)