Author Topic: NDR - Soon to be unemployed and in shock.  (Read 1880 times)

EllieAndBlu

NDR - Soon to be unemployed and in shock.
« on: July 17, 2007, 12:50:56 am »
My head is spinning a bit y'all.
After 12 years at my job.... and some co-workers with 20+ years... we just found out today, the company is restsructuring and closing the Southern Bureau. September 30th will be the last day of operation. It is the end of an era.

I just had to share with y'all.... sorry it is not the best of news.

marypyrs

Re: NDR - Soon to be unemployed and in shock.
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2007, 01:33:49 am »
 :'( Oh Man!!! My heart really goes out to you. I went through the same thing. And I can totally relate. "Restructuring" is one of the most horrible words in the human language. I worked for one of the largest Corporations in the world. They "restructured" three times and we went from 27 people in our office to 3. I hung on while they kept our small crew around for seven years doing the work of many. It was pure h*ll! We worked 6 days a week. 12 to 16 hours a day. (for the pay of an 8 hr a day = five days a week) I watched while the friends I'd had for years were forced to either relocate or leave. It was devistating! The stress level was horrible. When I was offered the early retirement I took it! Six months later they shut our Office down completely. (Two of us took the retirement. They then brought in two more people to take our places. Then another four. And they couldn't stand the stress.)

These Companies don't give a rip about the people who have served them with dedication for years. All they care about is the almighty Dollar!

My Company (hope they don't rip my retirement away for exposing them) was General Motors. The GMAC Division.

I truly feel for you and your co workers.  :'(

Offline Duramax

• Majestic Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2007, 01:54:23 am »
OMG that's terrible! im so sorry for you. that's one huge blow to recieve out of no where. my thoughts are with you.
Christina
mother of:
2 babies
2 great danes -Duramax
              -boog

"Some days you're the dog; some days you're the hydrant." -Unknown

Offline jabear

• Wizard of Wiggling & Waggling
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2007, 05:31:29 am »
Oh my goodness! That is terrible news but at least you have enough time to make a new path for yourself. Hang in there!
Hugs,
Jaime
  Mom to one handsome black Bear.

Offline kathryn

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2007, 05:54:42 am »
I'm so sorry that you are going through this.  I'll keep my fingers crossed and send you good thoughts on finding a new job that you like better really soon. 
Kaila - Belgian Malinois
Shiner - Malinois x Ridgeback
Toulouse, Cayenne, Raven - DSH

Due to recent budget cuts and the rising cost of electricity, gas and oil, as well as current market conditions, the Light at the End of the Tunnel has been turned off. We apologize for the inconvenience

EllieAndBlu

« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2007, 06:44:45 am »
awwww... thanks y'all. Your support means a ton to me - more than you can know! All I can say is that is was a rough day at the office today...  For those of you who don't know, I work for ABC News.

when we heard about the mtg - we only thought 2 people from New York were holding the mtg... I was stunned when we were all gathered waiting for the second person (the head f my dept) to arrive to start the mtg ... and she showed-up with 10 "suits" from NY in tow... a rep. from EVERONE's dept., including finance, the union, etc... in addition to human resources reps.  it was like a friggin' funeral procession... it was just awful.

as for how I am doing... I am okay... I actually look at this as a gift... an opportunity to spread my wings... I know if this wouldn't have happened I most likely would have retired from there - never having explored other avenues...  as for my co-workers.. I am heart-broken for them... most of them have been there for over 20 years, but not yet retiring age.

Thanks for listening y'all...  I have not been in this position before and my head is spinning a bit.

The worst part is I had to tell my dad and step-mom today before they leave on a long weekend getaway... it will be released to the press tomorrow.