Author Topic: New Member in need of help - Agression problems with Siberian and Mal  (Read 29152 times)

GYPSY JAZMINE

Re: New Member in need of help - Agression problems with Siberian and Mal
« Reply #30 on: July 23, 2005, 02:01:40 am »
Gypsy,  I thought I read first that she and her boyfriend were working on the problem then she referred to her husband. Having both is ok too.   I was just trying to be funny, really none of my business and nothing to do with the aggression problem.  ::)

Peggy
Peggy, A husband & a boyfriend could have alot to do with an agression problem...I friggin' wish!....lol!...Having both would be great!...again, I friggin' wish!...LOL! ((((Peggy)))))

Offline pndlake

• Leader of the Pack
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: July 23, 2005, 02:03:50 am »
haha you are right Gypsy, I stand corrected.

Peggy
Peggy

Offline DixieSugarBear

• Golden Paws
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: July 23, 2005, 05:15:14 am »
Better yet if the husband is the boyfriend.  ;D  23 years and he is still the man for me.  

Lisa
Lisa, owned by the following:
Sugar Bear - Great Pyrenees 4.5 yr.
Dixie Darlin - Great Pyrenees 4 yr.
Penny Lane - Great Pyrenees 2.5 yr.
Beauman - Great Pyrenees 14 months
Izzy - Great Pyrenees 14 month
Rosie - Great Pyrenees (at the bridge)

GYPSY JAZMINE

« Reply #33 on: July 23, 2005, 08:11:50 am »
Better yet if the husband is the boyfriend.  ;D  23 years and he is still the man for me.  

Lisa
Right on Lisa!!!!!!!!!!!!...My hubby is the my soulmate!...I guess I do have the two rolled into one! ;D

Offline siberescuegirl

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
    • Tails of the Tundra Siberian Husky Rescue
« Reply #34 on: December 03, 2005, 03:51:44 pm »
I'm sorry this happened. I would try to talk to the people who say that they saw your dogs loose. If someone put them back in their pen, why wouldn't they have just escaped again? Why wouldn't the person who put them back have left a note or tried to reach you? That sounds odd to me.

A few questions - how much exersize to the dogs get on a daily basis? I know you love your dogs, but 30 to 45 minutes a day is not a lot for these dogs.  These are high-energy breeds, and they are working dogs. They need to expend that energy. If you don't give them enough exersize and they get bored, they will find a way to get out and find something to do.

Why do they live outside? Do they ever come into the house? Do they sleep in the house at night?

You said that these dogs are not really obedient - how much training have they had? Do you practice the obedience training with them? Do you use the training they have received consistently and regularly? Unless you do, they never will be obedient, especially if they don't get to spend much time with you. If they were more obedient could they come in the house and sleep there at night?

I know you love your dogs, but from what you've written, it doesn't sound like you have much time for them. If you want advice on making the outdoor pen more secure, go to www.everything husky.com and go to the forum, there is a section for fencing and containment. You may also want to contact a Husky or Malamute rescue and see if someone can give you tips on making it escape proof. The Husky rescue I work with does this a lot for people who just need some tips.

Good luck. I hope this helps.

Offline siberescuegirl

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: December 03, 2005, 04:10:27 pm »
I'm sure you mean well and your passion for dogs maybe causes you to "harsh" however I know myself and I know that I'm a resposible pet owner even if by your standards I may not be.
Cymbaline

Hi Cymbaline,
I know that you love your dogs, you wouldn't be here asking for help and advice if you didn't. However, if they live outside, get only 30 - 45 minutes with you a day, and are escaping because they are bored and don't get enough excersize and stimulation, and you can't give them the time and excersize that they need - then the responsible thing to do is to contact some rescue organizations and see if you can find new homes for them where they will get the excersize, socialization, training and human contact that they need.  Many rescues have referral programs - this means that the dogs stay with you instead of being taken into foster care by the rescue. The rescue lists  the dogs on their web sites and invites you to bring the dogs to adoptions where they may be a good fit.

If you really can't give them the time and excersize that they need and socialize and train them, then finding them a home where they will get these things is the kindest, most responsible thing that you can do for them. 

As someone already stated, your dogs chasing the kid on the bike and killing the rabbit do not in any way indicate that they have aggressive tendencies. It's normal behavior for breeds with a high prey drive. That's why Huskies and Malamutes need obedience training starting at a young age. They need to be trained not to chase people and other animals while on leash. When they are off leash, it's up to their owners to make sure they are safely contained.

Your dog growling when the kid got in his face - he was NOT being aggresive. He was using normal "dog language" and letting the kid know that he did not like the kid being in his face. The kid needs to be taught that he needs to ask before petting a dog, and that it's not a good idea just to get in a dog's face like that. And now that you know your dog doesn't like kids getting up in his face, you need to tell kids that it's better if they keep their distance. You need to know your dog and be his advocate.

As far as attacking the other Malamute, from what I've read about Malamute males, this is pretty standard behavior. I too was surprised to read that you have two male Malamutes and that they are not aggressive towards each other.

This is from the Alaskan Malamute Club of America's site:
"Alaskan Malamutes were originally bred to haul heavy sleds across long distances in harsh winter conditions. This necessitated a dog that had tremendous strength, energy, endurance, independence and intelligence. These traits still define Alaskan Malamutes. A first time Mal owner soon learns what this really means. These dogs have extremely high energy levels which require release in appropriate ways. They need to run, play, and bounce around a lot. Without continuous physical and mental stimulation, they become bored and restless. This will certainly result in destructive activities of the dog's choosing, not yours. Alaskan Malamutes can be quite boisterous and even rowdy, especially during their growing years. They will try to challenge the family for the top or "alpha" role. With a large dog (they grow to 65lbs-85lbs and up) this cannot be allowed to happen. The family must learn how to properly deal with this for everyone's sake. "

The same is true of Siberian Huskies, which is why so many shelters have more Huskies than other breeds, and why Husky rescues are continually full.

Best of luck to you. If you can't give your dogs the life that they need, then helping to find them the right kind of home is the best thing that you can do for them.

Offline marinafb

• Majestic Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: December 03, 2005, 06:29:14 pm »
i agree w/the last person to put there reply in 200% husky are such a beautiful breed but i have to put them right up there w/ the wolf they need alot more then then any human can give them. I have seen 1 on 1 what can happen w/this breed if not raised w/lot of exercice not just walking they need to be run a larage yard is not even going to cut it. They are a working breed and that 's when they are happy! My dogs are like my kids i try and give them the best care training,love and socialization at a very early age in all of my 36 years of owing a dog i have never had a dog that has bitten or been nasty to any human. Back to the husky this breed is a challange i wish you all the best!
Freya-9 years collie shepard mix
Milo-6 years Pitt Bull
Bryce-3 years English Mastiff
Mab and Angus cool cats

Offline siberescuegirl

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: December 11, 2005, 02:42:49 am »
marinafb, I have to disagree with your statements:
"husky are such a beautiful breed but i have to put them right up there w/ the wolf they need alot more then then any human can give them. "

and

"they need to be run a larage yard is not even going to cut it."

People who are prepared for the challenges of owning a Siberian Husky can provide great lives for these dogs, and a large yard is the ideal way for Huskies to be able to run, play, and get their excersize. Also, Huskies may look like wolves, but they are not wolves, and they are no more genetically similar to a wolf than a poodle is. Please be carefule, your well-intentioned but inaccurate statements make it sound as if it is impossible for humans to have obedient, happy, well socialized and well adjusted Huskies that get the proper excersize and have a good life.
« Last Edit: December 11, 2005, 02:47:18 am by siberescuegirl »