Author Topic: Does this look like the beginning of a 'Hot Spot' to you?  (Read 9978 times)

Lyn

Does this look like the beginning of a 'Hot Spot' to you?
« on: July 18, 2007, 11:01:07 pm »
Bubba has this cluster of spots on his forehead. I first noticed them a couple days ago but I didn't think much of it because it resembles a coffee stain. ::)

Yes.. For some reason Bubba LOVES coffee.. and No I don't give him coffee because I know caffeine is deadly for dogs but I drink alot of Tim Horton's take out coffee and he will steal the paper cups to lick out. So I figured that was where the spots on his head came from. But they are not washing off and appear to be oozing since they are damp.  :-\

He's had one hot spot before but it was at the base of his tail in the thicker hair. I don't remember it looking like this. I just want to be sure before I go shaving his forehead. LMAO

Offline People Whisperer

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
Re: Does this look like the beginning of a 'Hot Spot' to you?
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2007, 11:27:36 pm »
Does the skin look red?
It looks really small right now and if it is a hot spot I am sure you can treat it without shaving his forehead. What a weird place to have a spot on!?
"To once own a Great Pyrenees is to love and want one always."
Mary W. Crane

I don't suffer from insanity; I enjoy every minute of it :)

Icerotti

« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2007, 11:40:55 pm »
I have never had to deal with hot spots so I can't help but I hope Bubba is ok.
« Last Edit: July 19, 2007, 07:25:52 am by Icerotti »

Offline Sillygoose

• Top Doggie Dog
  • I love my dog!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2007, 02:11:13 am »
Annie had them once, and it looks like the beginning of one. You don't need to shave him though. Keep it clean and dry. That should work.

Offline GoldenPyrs

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2007, 02:14:31 am »
Cara used to have problems with hot spots, but she passed away almost 6 yrs ago, so it's been a while since I've seen one now.  

Those spots are still pretty small (thank goodness) so it's hard to say, but they do look like hot spots to me.  I'm not sure that I'd shave them though since they're still so little.  Cara's vet prescribed a powder that dried hot spots and prevented infection at the same time and it worked great.  I'm sorry, it's been so long that I don't recall the name, but if you can pick up something from your vet and treat them quickly, they may heal up easily.  BTW, for Cara, the cream or ointment based meds were awful, they just made them worse, the sprays were very painful for her, but the powder based meds were great.
Marie

And my pups:
Daisy a 9 y/o Golden/Lab mix
Sammy a 6-7(?) y/o Great Pyrenees adopted 3/07
Cassie a 3 y/o Pyr/Mystery Snuggle Bunny mix adopted 2/07

My angel girls waiting at the Bridge:
Cara 1989-2001 Great Pyrenees
Sally ? - 1993 Dobie(rescued '92)
Halley 2002-2006 Great Pyrenees

Lyn

« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2007, 03:35:04 am »
There's 3 small spots there and yes the skin is red and oozing now. He's been rubbing his head on the carpet and pawing at it.

I do have some cream leftover from his last hot spot. I tried to apply it but most of it ends up in his fur. That's why I was thinking about shaving those spots.

He's has a vet appointment for the 28th so I'll just keep applying the cream I have on it until then.

I think I know why he's getting one there. Not last week but the week before it was so darn hot here that he was playing in the sprinkler for 4-5 days in a row on and off all day. He mainly just soaked his head. I dried him off but apparently not well enough. :-\
« Last Edit: July 19, 2007, 03:36:14 am by Lyn »

Offline GoldenPyrs

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2007, 03:54:25 am »
Poor Bubba, that sounds like it's really bothering him now.  Cara's seemed to be sparked by allergies, she was allergic to wheat so I had to watch that no one gave her "snacks", but each dog is so different.  I hope that the cream does the trick and that Bubba's feeling better quickly.
Marie

And my pups:

Offline Nina

• Supreme Drooler
  • In Loving memory 12/30/05 8:30pm We miss you
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 19, 2007, 04:09:00 am »
It does look like a hot spot, you can get a spray or powder to treat it and you don't have to shave the area. I didn't with Harley's hotspots on the bottom of her feet.

Nina
Nina and Tim
Calgary, AB, Canada
Harley(Lab mix)
Dilbert(Pyr mix)At the bridge
Jolene (cat)

Offline sc.trojans

• Big Paws-a-holic
  • Gracie and Skylar
    • View Profile
    • Natural K9
« Reply #8 on: July 19, 2007, 07:51:49 am »

Since the goal with hotspots is to dry and air them out - get some GoldBond Powder and put that on.  The vet can also give you a medicated powder called Neo-Predef (Tetracaine powder).

Hotspots are a deepers sign of the body trying to expel however, so you may want to consider also addressing his underlying immune system and any assaults on it that he is grappling with.

Good luck!
SC Trojans
with Gracie and Skylar

Lyn

« Reply #9 on: July 19, 2007, 08:38:06 am »
This cream just isn't cutting it and I don't want to shave his forehead. :(

Is the goldbond powder just as effective? Or should I just get the medicated powder from the vet?

Sc.trojans.. What would you suggest for boosting the immune system? Bubba isn't on any supplements other than Gluclosamine and Chondroitin.

Lyn

« Reply #10 on: July 19, 2007, 09:15:07 am »
The cream (Fucidin) worked really well last time, but we also shaved the spot. So he wandered around with a bald butt for awhile. LOL

Good point on the expiry date.. I didn't even think to check before.. DOH! Luckily the tube I have expires in Jan/2008.

It just doesn't seem like I'm getting it down to the skin, most of it is stuck in his fur which he promptly rubs off on the carpet. :D I think I'll just pick up some Goldbond tomorrow and try it.

Offline People Whisperer

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 19, 2007, 09:26:34 am »
The "Piece and Kindness" spray works great!!! Give it a try  ;)
"To once own a Great Pyrenees is to love and want one always."
Mary W. Crane

I don't suffer from insanity; I enjoy every minute of it :)

Offline GoldenPyrs

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 19, 2007, 11:22:57 am »
I've seen little hot spots become huuuuge just overnight before, so personally I'd call the vet and see if they can see him tomorrow or maybe they'll just let you pick up the medication.  I'm not sure if the veterinary med that sctrojans mentioned is the one that Cara used, but if it is, it was *wonderful* for her hot spots.  It seemed to give her a lot of relief, was painless to apply, wasn't messy, and the hot spots healed very quickly.  It's good that Bubba can't reach these spots to bite & chew on them, but he may still be able to do a lot of damage pretty fast by rubbing them, poor guy!
Marie

And my pups:

Offline Nina

• Supreme Drooler
  • In Loving memory 12/30/05 8:30pm We miss you
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 19, 2007, 11:19:44 pm »
I find the sprays work better than the powders as powder can fall off. I used the powders with Harley and the spot was healing but not very well. The spray that I got from my vet, the spots were gone within a week.

Nina
Nina and Tim
Calgary, AB, Canada
Harley(Lab mix)
Dilbert(Pyr mix)At the bridge
Jolene (cat)