Author Topic: Sensitive Dogs  (Read 3682 times)

Offline jabear

• Wizard of Wiggling & Waggling
    • View Profile
Sensitive Dogs
« on: September 29, 2005, 11:24:52 pm »
I have known since we got Bear how sensitive he was to our emotions. If I am mad at hubby he gets sad, if I am mad at him he is sad, If I am sad he is so caring and gentle, and of course when I am happy he is soooooo happy which usually he is. ;D Anyhow, the last few times Bear has been in a situation in which another dog has done something wrong and needs to be corrected he walks away and goes to his own area and patiently waits until I come to him. It seems as though he is trying to seperate himself from the "troublemaker". I thought it was really cute and showed just how sensitive he is and how much he does not want to make me unhappy.
I was just wondering, do any of your dogs do this? Is it a breed thing or an individual dog thing?
Hugs,
Jaime
  Mom to one handsome black Bear.

BabsT

Re: Sensitive Dogs
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2005, 11:27:49 pm »
My zero wears his heart on his sleeve...when he knows I am upset with him, OMG the eyes he gives is enough to melt anyones heart...Alo if I am nervous or have any anxiety he is on high alert and you cant get too close to me...I have learned to control my emotions if he is in my presence because he truly reacts to my mood

I just love dogs :)

Offline Anky

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2005, 11:35:13 pm »
Sanity is one of those dogs you absolutely can NOT yell at.  For instance.  He's very protective of me.  Even in the house, if I'm in the office, and someone comes up stairs, he runs in front of me and barks and growls till I tell him it's OK.  Well he did this to my grandmother last night and she told my grandfather.  My grandfather glares at Nee and says (Doesn't yell or raise his voice or anything) "This is ridiculous, I should be able to go wherever I want in my own house.  Dummy..."  Sanity slunk into the corner, laid on his blanket and wouldn't get up, even when the doorbell went off.  He started to "Wuffle" then realized what he was doing, looked at my grandfather and laid his head back down.  He was depressed till I made my grandfather say he was sorry. (That was an experience in and of itself!)
BPO's Official Mistress of Mirth

Charter Member of the Official Suspicious Chicken Fan Club

"And you will know us by the trail of skank."

Offline jabear

• Wizard of Wiggling & Waggling
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2005, 11:40:42 pm »
They are amazing animals whose sensitivity level is beyond compare. I am so glad that I am not alone in having Bear be so sensitive. He really can feel and understand emotions that are let out.
How can you not absolutely love our big dogs???
Hugs,
Jaime
  Mom to one handsome black Bear.

Offline newflvr

• Tail Wagging Champ
  • Cowboy is four years old and Chester is almost two
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2005, 11:45:29 pm »
SO true, Jaime!! They are the absolute best.  Ever since Chester had his time at the beach, he's become a "big boy" (THANKS, Bear!!)  He now has become protective.  He's woofing at anybody coming to the door...and of course, lifting his leg.  Cowboy never leaves me.  It's a bit like having a 150 pound shadow!

Icerotti

« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2005, 11:46:41 pm »
Puck is very sensitive. Yes even rotts can be sensitive ::)When Farley is being corrected or in trouble. We always have to tell Puck after and pet him that he was not a bad boy. He is a good boy and we love him. Then he does this little rotti bounce( He looks like a rabbit hopping)If we don't  he thinks he is in trouble too and will go lay down in his bed and wait for us to tell him it is ok to leave his bed with very sad eyes.

Offline Carolyn

• Big Paws-a-holic
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2005, 02:00:01 am »
My guys know when Im upset. Apache is super sensitive, I honestly believe he "thinks" too much. He gets worried if one of the others do something wrong, even though he's not in trouble. I can tell by the expressions on his face.  He can be so serious, the teacher at school used to joke & tell him he's really got to loosen up a little & Billy would say "My sons a poindexter all he needs is a pocket protector & glasses."
If one of the girls have an accident on the rug he will totally avoid walking on that side of the room. His hugs are the best, we call him musshy boy he'll bury his head in your lap or chest. The girls aren't like him, they act like dogs, he doesn't know hes a dog.
Carolyn
Carolyn

Offline Summer

• Ankle Biter
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 30, 2005, 02:13:04 am »
Summer is also really really sensitive.  She comes to the barn with me and is super jealous of my "big dog".  But he's hurt now:( and sometimes when we are at the barn I get upset and she starts to cry really loud and I have to put her in my truck while I finish up, because it makes me even more upset.

She also did something really odd when I had her fixed.  She refused to lay down for more than 30 minutes for three days.  When she started to wobble because she was falling asleep on her feet she started to lean against walls to hold herself up.  And this was after going to the vet and putting her on painkiller/tranq's so she would sleep.

I finally got her to sleep by putting her in the car and driving her around for a couple of hours.

Tina

Offline nohesnotahorse

• Big Paw Certified
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 30, 2005, 10:27:00 am »
Feste was really jumpy and sensitive to anything and everything when I brought him home.  He's more at ease now and is a preety happy pup most of the time, but he definitely reacts to my moods.  I have to watch myself when I fuss at one of the other 2  whenever he's around... I rarely ever have to fuss at him.  When I fuss at one of the others, though, he will usually make tracks for the back oor and I have to go back and talk to him and bring him back into the room.  When I have to fuss at him, he just sits there looking at me like he's lost his best friend.
Tom, Overwhelmed, Overrun and Overruled by Feste, Chance and Puck!
'Aide toi et Dieu t'aidera.' (God helps those who help themselves.)
'Fortes fortuna juvat.' (Fortune favors the brave.)

Offline dgodden5459

• Big Paw Certified
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 30, 2005, 11:13:56 am »
When Gretchen gets in trouble she will do the eye rolling thing that my boys do. But when she really pushes the wrong button she goes to her crate and stays there. When it's quiet at night she sleeps by the computer chair and dreams. Last night she must of been having a bad dream she growled in her sleep..
Deb

Gretchen the Rottie
Buttons the LLhasa
Macie who knows?

Offline Tulsas' Dad

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 30, 2005, 12:19:38 pm »
Yeah.
When Tulsa hears me sniffle, or laugh, she comes in and starts licking me on the ankle.
If I push her away, then it's a game!
C'mon Let's Play!
Love My Dog!
John
The scientific name for an animal that doesn't either run from or fight its enemies, is Lunch.--Michael Friedman

Offline pndlake

• Leader of the Pack
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 30, 2005, 12:31:12 pm »
Everytime I hear about dog emotions, I truly believe we underestimate what they are capable of.  I will never forget the night my husband and I were driving down the road and saw a dead big dog that was hit by a car.  Right alongside of it was another big dog sitting and not moving.  On closer examination I saw that dog with big tears running down her face and she refused to leave that dog's side.  There was nothing I could do but from then on I changed my mind about what these animals really feel.   :'(
Peggy

Offline pndlake

• Leader of the Pack
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 30, 2005, 12:32:37 pm »
I even cry now when I remember it.
Peggy

GYPSY JAZMINE

« Reply #13 on: September 30, 2005, 12:46:04 pm »
Everytime I hear about dog emotions, I truly believe we underestimate what they are capable of.  I will never forget the night my husband and I were driving down the road and saw a dead big dog that was hit by a car.  Right alongside of it was another big dog sitting and not moving.  On closer examination I saw that dog with big tears running down her face and she refused to leave that dog's side.  There was nothing I could do but from then on I changed my mind about what these animals really feel.   :'(
Of coarse they feel...It would be very arrogant of us to believe anything else...That is such a sad picture but also a picture of a being we could all model ourselves after.