Author Topic: Hi, New here - Need help in deciding if I belong here on "Big Paws!"  (Read 22299 times)

Offline Saljen

• Full Fledged Chewer
  • Rosie with icy whiskers
    • View Profile
Hello everyone -
I found this site linked from my Yahoo/SBC home pg. I just love it, and this is already my 3rd post tonight. Now, I LOVE really big dogs, but I am not sure if I HAVE one or not!  :-\ Maybe some of you can help me.

This is Rosie, and we rescued her from the pound last year. The poor little girl was just 3 mos old and was 2 days away from being put down! When we adopted her they told us she was a full breed Lab, just w/o papers. Well, we have come to realize she is NOT a full breed Lab, as everyone who has met her agrees that she doesn't look like it. She is actually taller than the typical Lab but not as stocky.

What I would like to hear is anyone's opinion on what else they think she looks like she is mixed with. She is 5 mos old in the pic of her laying down. In the other she is 10 mos old, and I don't know if you can see it, but she has ice on her whiskers! There is a dent in the backyard that fills up when it rains, and then it froze over. Well, Rose saw the bubbles underneath and started trying to catch them, found a hole in the ice and stuck her head in! Such a cutie!  :D

Anyways, she is a yr old now, and about 60-70 lbs. I know she may keep growing for awhile or she may stop now, depending on what breeds she is. Thanks for your input!  :)

Offline raaleppo

• Full Fledged Chewer
    • View Profile
    • Raaleppo Saint Bernards
Re: Hi, New here - Need help in deciding if I belong here on "Big Paws!"
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2005, 02:13:51 am »
Hi and welcome
What ever she is she is big and lovely and I think she belongs
Ann

Offline Saljen

• Full Fledged Chewer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2005, 02:54:42 am »
Awww - thank you!  :D
We sure think so!
Yours is a big ol beauty too! ;D

Jen

« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2005, 08:48:47 am »
I think the bigger question is what is she?  I found it very very interesting that her instict was to go stick her head in the cold water to get the bubbles, yes it is very cute but more importantly I think that behavior is a big clue as to what breed she favors.  I'm not sure what breeds that is typical of but I wonder if there are breeds that were breed to behave as fisherman so to speak?  My dog is affraid of water he barks when someone uses the toilet (not so cute) or takes a bath and will not go out while rain is falling.

Offline Scootergirl

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
    • Be my friend on myspace!
« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2005, 09:14:24 am »
Rosie is absolutely beautiful!! Her head is square like a black mouth cur, but her color doesn't match that. She's got to be some kind of hound/hunting breed. I'm intrigued now. I'm going to search through my breed book tonight at home.  I want to give her a big kiss on her nose, though!!  :-*
"If you pick up a starving dog and make him prosperous, he will not bite you. This is the principle difference between dog and man." -- Mark Twain

Offline jabear

• Wizard of Wiggling & Waggling
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2005, 09:45:58 am »
Your fur baby is beautiful...an d yes you're more than welcome to stay here and talk about big doggies as long as you like! I have no clue what she is mixed with but she sure looks alot like my friends dog which is a Belgin Malamois???. As for fisherman instincts, my Newf sure has 'em. He is a water dog in its truest form.  :)
« Last Edit: March 30, 2005, 10:08:40 am by jabear »
Hugs,
Jaime
  Mom to one handsome black Bear.

Offline kmht57

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2005, 07:24:49 pm »
I don't know what she is other than beautiful!  She is lucky to have you and you to have her.  Enjoy each other!

Offline walnutcreekbernese

• Ankle Biter
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2005, 08:07:45 pm »
Welcome to Big paws only website - Your dog "Rosie" is quiet big and very beautiful!!! - Do she have a long tail or short????

I think she is part of Rhodesian Ridgeback because of her colour as she have red wheaten colour but she dosen't have the line marking on her back - Rosie is not part of Staffy breed because she have a nice muzzle, long, deep and powerful shape but she dosen't have the line marking on her back - She may be cross with Lab and part of a Weimaraner or bit of great dane - Hard to tell what breed she is but it could say that she is cross with 3 different breeds....

Offline Saljen

• Full Fledged Chewer
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2005, 11:49:52 pm »
I think the bigger question is what is she?  I found it very very interesting that her instict was to go stick her head in the cold water to get the bubbles, yes it is very cute but more importantly I think that behavior is a big clue as to what breed she favors.  I'm not sure what breeds that is typical of but I wonder if there are breeds that were breed to behave as fisherman so to speak?  My dog is affraid of water he barks when someone uses the toilet (not so cute) or takes a bath and will not go out while rain is falling.
Thats a good point. I will have to look up to see if I can find out about any kind of "fishing dogs." She has always really loved water. When it rains, all she wants to do is go outside and run around in it! And she LOVES to splash in puddles!  :D

Offline Saljen

• Full Fledged Chewer
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 30, 2005, 11:54:11 pm »
  I'm going to search through my breed book tonight at home.  I want to give her a big kiss on her nose, though!!  :-*
Thanks ahead of time for looking! And thanks for appreciating that great big nose of hers!  :) You would never BELIEVE The amount of noise she makes breathing sometimes. And she snores louder than ANYTHING I've ever heard!  :o I will be sure to giver her that kiss for you, too.  ;D

Offline Saljen

• Full Fledged Chewer
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 31, 2005, 12:06:33 am »
Welcome to Big paws only website - Your dog "Rosie" is quiet big and very beautiful!!! - Do she have a long tail or short????

I think she is part of Rhodesian Ridgeback because of her colour as she have red wheaten colour but she dosen't have the line marking on her back - Rosie is not part of Staffy breed because she have a nice muzzle, long, deep and powerful shape but she dosen't have the line marking on her back - She may be cross with Lab and part of a Weimaraner or bit of great dane - Hard to tell what breed she is but it could say that she is cross with 3 different breeds....

Thanks for the welcome! Rosie has a VERY long slightly fluffy tail. I have never seen a Rhodesian Ridgeback before (I will be looking it up though), but when Rosie gets scared or barks, she has a line of fur that stands STRAIGHT up on the top of her head and all the way down her back. Would that be like a Ridgeback or do other breeds do that too? I have another dog Lucy who is a small Heinz 57-no TELLING what she is! But she is smallish and looks alot like a dingo or a fox and is the EXACT same color as Rosie. The hair on Lucy's back will stand up when she barks sometimes, but just in one little spot and not all the way up and down like Rosie. I had someone else tell me she looked like she had Dane in her when she was younger, but I thought maybe she isn't big enough to have Dane in her? I guess she still has time to grow though. One more thing about Rosie, she "talks" a lot. Makes LOTS of funny noises that go up and down from low mumbles to high whining sounds. Is very cute! Don't know if that says anything about her breeds either.

Thanks to everyone for all your feedback and for all your sweet words for Rosie. I told them all to her and she gives you all big sloppy kisses!  ;D

GR8DAME

« Reply #11 on: March 31, 2005, 08:10:20 am »
Danes talk constantly, even the deaf ones. When they mouth wrestle they make a sound like Chewbacca from Star Wars. They also snore loud enough to wake the dead. Both my dane and dane/wolfhound cross LOVE water and will occassionallly join a lucky bather if the bathroom door is not securely latched, and then you can't get them out until they are done playing. Despite the size difference, there could be some dane in Rosie, I've seen some 28- 30 inch "purebred" dane bitches.
Stella

Jen

« Reply #12 on: March 31, 2005, 12:56:34 pm »
I have been following this subject of Rosie and I am really starting to think she favors Dane.  My daughter is obsessed with SCOOBY DOO and I have become very keen to the site of a 1/2 inch picture of scoopy doo a mile away on a yogurt cup on the back of a the shelf down isle 7 in a grocery store.  I do see the SCOOBY DOO in her and that picture on the bed at 5 months looks like she was a pretty big puppy.  It's hard to tell from a picture did you measure at the withers?

Jen

Danes talk constantly, even the deaf ones. When they mouth wrestle they make a sound like Chewbacca from Star Wars. They also snore loud enough to wake the dead. Both my dane and dane/wolfhound cross LOVE water and will occassionallly join a lucky bather if the bathroom door is not securely latched, and then you can't get them out until they are done playing. Despite the size difference, there could be some dane in Rosie, I've seen some 28- 30 inch "purebred" dane bitches.
Stella

Offline mixedupdog

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 24, 2005, 09:29:22 pm »
Before you rule out purebred, be aware that yellow labs come in a fox red variation, which is what your Rosie looks like. "Field style" also come in tall and lanky, our friend Calvin is almost as tall as Earnest, and Earnest is 36" at the withers. Calvin is probably around 32, and he is definitely purebred, papered Lab. Some of the hunt people just breed leaner, taller and shorter coat. "Bench" or "English" labs have more fur, tend to be shorter and stockier, and lately are bred to have "block" heads. There's an enormous variation in purebred Labs, I belong to a Lab club, and when we have a get together it's amazing how different they look, even though they are all purebred from excellent bloodlines.

SaraphWolf79

« Reply #14 on: July 07, 2005, 03:33:45 pm »

I was thinking the exact same thing when I saw Rosie...her coloring definitely does look Rodesian to me.  My best friend had one when I was younger, he was a beautiful dog, VERY big, and quite expensive...an d the unique hairline that stood up on his back was unmistakable.  I remember her telling me that Rodesian Ridgebacks are originally from Africa, and were used as lion-hunters.  Not sure if this is true or not.  Either way, your Rosie is beautiful!