Author Topic: Help I cant get out!!!!!!!!!!  (Read 3274 times)

Offline jules

• Big Paws-a-holic
    • View Profile
Help I cant get out!!!!!!!!!!
« on: July 20, 2005, 08:10:53 am »
Hi I was just wandering does anyone else have a problem with trying to leave the house.Spotakis s will latch on to my leg while Im at the door.Its not because hes lonely because someone is always home.It not just me either he also does it to my husband.Most of the time Im having to sneek out.putting my teenage skills back to use.Help!!!!

Offline shangrila

• Golden Paws
    • View Profile
Re: Help I cant get out!!!!!!!!!!
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2005, 08:29:49 am »
We have a problem getting out of the house when we let Zoey near the door too. She has some seperation anxiety issues and wants to be with mom and dad ALL of the time. She will try and squeeze out past us so she can come too, and once we get out she will stand up on her hind legs and scratch and cry at the window until we get in the car (the window in the door is about 5-6 feet off of the ground).

What we do to solve the problem is use a baby gate. We have our couch on the same wall as the door a couple feet away, and we babygate between the couch the the wall in front of the door. That way she can't get to the front door. She knows our routine, and so when I take her out to pee and then she sees me going for the babygate, she sometimes rufuses to go into the living room because she knows whats about to happen and I have to force her past the couch (she is so stubborn sometimes).

The other trick that I use when we don't babygate is to take a treat over by the door and get her really excited about it, then throw is across the room and make my escape while she is racing to get her cookie.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2005, 08:32:03 am by shangrilarcadia »
RIP former BPO

Offline Carolyn

• Big Paws-a-holic
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2005, 10:55:43 am »
My guys are FORBIDDEN to go out the front door, only the back door & driveway gate. I was told that paying absolutely no attention to them when you leave is good & not making a big fuss when you come back. Try short periods of time. I always tell my guys I gotta go or mommy will be right back, when I come back they always get excited, Apache always has to grab the closest toy to give me, Kiya turns into a jumping bean, Chazzy just tries to squeeze in between both of them.
Carolyn
Carolyn

Offline fcsantos

• Full Fledged Chewer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2005, 11:03:48 am »
Do you crate train your dog? Our trainer says that if you crate train the dog you can put them in their crates 10 minutes before you leave they will get used to it and when you come home don't take them out for at least 10 minutes it will break them of the separation anxiety. Try it. It works with my OEM.

Offline newflvr

• Tail Wagging Champ
  • Cowboy is four years old and Chester is almost two
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2005, 11:16:19 am »
I know this sounds absolutely nuts, but I've heard that if you tell the dog how long you'll be gone and what time you'll be back, there is less anxiety.  I do that with the Newfs plus leave classical music on for them and many times give them a nice big filled bone (the Red Barn variety) when I walk out the door they seem fine for me to leave.  OKAY!!!!  I know they are spoiled rotten!!!!

Offline greek4

• Majestic Member
  • Kole with Maia, Baxter, Rocco, and Cody
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2005, 01:57:25 pm »
I've never had issue.  My guys have always been put in their room (Rocco) or their cage when I leave (Maia).  I give a milk bone, put music on and just leave.  Now when I pick up my keys they go in their cages/room.  Sometimes I dont' think they even care I am leaving.
Thanks,

Emily and 1 husband, 1 boy, 1 on the way, and 4 crazy dogs

Offline mastiffmommy

• Chief "All Knowing"
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2005, 09:12:47 pm »
I cant say I have those problems either, we are still training on the "stay" with Galahad, and give that command when we leave so he knows he is not supposed to go out or come with. I have always tried to train my dogs to NOT go out before they are told they can, not the front door, not the car door either. Mind you hehe I cant say that every single dog I have had, has been totally obedient with it.

Marit
what the lion is to a cat, the mastiff is to a dog

Offline jabear

• Wizard of Wiggling & Waggling
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 20, 2005, 09:22:38 pm »
We have never had a problem with leaving the house either but I tell Bear when I am going out and do give him an approximate time of when I'll be back like "I'll be home in a little bit. Be a good boy. Mom loves you." And then I leave. I don't know if it gives him peace of mind other than he knows those words mean mom is leaving so he can party while I am away...lol.
Hugs,
Jaime
  Mom to one handsome black Bear.