Author Topic: Not sure how I should've handled this?  (Read 2334 times)

Offline Moni

• Majestic Member
    • View Profile
Not sure how I should've handled this?
« on: July 19, 2007, 10:24:26 pm »
Long story short, since it was Faust's birthday yesterday, I brought him with me to pick up Jay and we stopped at the grocery store and MickeyD's. At the grocery store there is this younger man who's very friendly and he's the greeter and in charge of collecting shopping carts. Well, I was waiting in the car and this guy followed Jay back to the car and saw Faust in the back. So he starts yelling loudly into the open hatchback, "HI BOY!!! AREN'T YOU A PRETTY BOY?! COME HERE BOY"!!!, while waving his arms dramatically.

Needless to say Faust was not happy about some strange man yelling into the back of his car, so he started growling quietly. The man hears this and starts growling, snarling & barking at him back! So Jay said something and quickly shut the hatchback and gets in the car. The guy then walks alongside our car to get another carriage and tries to stick his hand in the back window to pet Faust! So I'm trying to get the keys in to start the car ASAP in order to shut the window and the guy walks back and starts growling at Faust, saying "I'm gonna get your FOOD, I'm gonna get your FOOD!"....

We kept telling the guy no and to that he should stop it, but he just wouldn't listen and seemed to think the whole thing was funny. I'm just worried about him getting hurt, I mean luckily I could control Faust, but he may not be so lucky next time he tries it with someone elses dog. Any ideas?   :-\

~moni

BPO does not have my permission to use my photos.

Offline 2Criminals

• Grand Master
    • View Profile
Re: Not sure how I should've handled this?
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2007, 10:31:11 pm »
Perhaps mention it to the Grocery store? It's really in his best interest that he not do that again and if he hears it from a manager it may prevent him from doing so?

Offline 2Criminals

• Grand Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2007, 10:36:49 pm »
LOL

Offline Winslow 151

• Paw-meister
  • Winslow at 6 Months
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2007, 11:12:19 pm »
Hi,

No offense meant here at all, Often the cart folks at the supermarket are mentally handicapped or just kind of slow, again no offense intended just reality.

Definately talk to the store manager, Often people don't say anything becuase they don't want to get the person in trouble!! When all you really want to do is just protect his safety. The manager is trained to handle these types of situations and employees (Hopefully)
Happy Tails to All
Winslow's Dad

Offline Moni

• Majestic Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2007, 11:34:36 pm »
Ok, I did call and talk to the manager.  He thanked me for letting him know and said that he would have a talk with him about approaching dogs in cars.  I still feel bad, but I don't want him to get hurt next time.

I agree Winslow's Dad, that is why I was concerned and not angry.  He honestly didn't understand that he was doing something wrong.

Offline Ali

• BPO Fanatic
  • My girls!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2007, 12:06:30 am »
I haven't gotten to know everyone here yet - what kind of pup is Faust? Good idea to talk to the store manager. You know, the messed up thing is that if something terrible had happened due to the cart guy taunting and teasing Faust, no doubt it would be you guys that would be held responsible for taking a "monster" in public. Hopefully, the store and the cart guy's caretakers can work with him on that for his own safety. That kind of behavior would be dangerous to other people, too,  if he were to try to distract a service dog like that - can you imagine? Poor Faust - how confused he must have been! Again, don't know all your names yet, so I don't know if Jay is a grown up or not, but I guess the only other thing to have done would have been to put Faust in the car and then run back out to the cart guy to tell him that he needed to back off. Sounds like you worked it all out though. How upsetting!
Ali
mom of 4 humans AND
Tani (TAH-nee or rhymes with "Bonnie")- Aussie/Pittie?Boxer?Mutt!
Kai - Aussie/Dobie
Kenji - big ol' black cat
Mika and Nishi - kitty sisters, foster failures!
Tasia Ladysnake - ball python

Offline Jas2Cats

• Veteran Dog Chomper
  • All my babies :-)
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2007, 12:22:47 am »
Good for you :)  Talking to the manager IMHO was the right thing to do.  He's responsible for his employees actions while they are working, and, I would expect that at a grocery store, tehre are many occasions, where there is a dog in cars in the lot, probably some wehre the owners aren't right there.  He needs to know the proper way to act around the dogs in cars.  I know my dogs view our vehicles as their territory, and will protect them from intruders.
Alyce

Woody  (aka Big Dog) (12 1/2) Shorthaired Laberaimer (1/2 German Shorthair, 1/4 Lab, 1/4 Weimaraimer)
Maple (aka Princess Poo) (7 1/2) Boxer/ GS mix
Fuzzy (15 1/2)long haired tabby cat
Trouble & Double 3 1/2 year old African Leopard Tortoises.
Ed (17+) and Cris (13+) skin kids

Offline Moni

• Majestic Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 20, 2007, 12:32:20 am »
Ali,
NP.. Faust is a 9yr old German Shepherd and Jay is my SO.  I think that Faust was just as surprised as I was because he is normally a very friendly dog to everyone.   :-\ 

Offline Duramax

• Majestic Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 20, 2007, 08:55:41 am »
OMG i would've been so upset! that's just a bad situation all the way around. gee i wish people wouldnt do things like that. but like it was said earlier...who knows if he knew better. it's too bad that that happened to you guys.

oh and by the way....

HaPpY BiRtHdAy FaUsT
Christina
mother of:
2 babies
2 great danes -Duramax
              -boog

"Some days you're the dog; some days you're the hydrant." -Unknown