Author Topic: Feeding help for dog with cancer...  (Read 2959 times)

GYPSY JAZMINE

Feeding help for dog with cancer...
« on: July 21, 2005, 12:20:40 pm »
My friend has a customer at her store who has a dog with extensive scarring on both his kidneys due to cancer that does not allow him to eat meat or anything high protein as he can't absorb it....They are looking for alternative diets for the poor dog as he is skin & bones due to the cancer (which it looks like they got) & the diet limitations... Has anyone else ever heard of or dealt with this?...Any thoughts, advise or ideas?...TY!

Offline shangrila

• Golden Paws
    • View Profile
Re: Feeding help for dog with cancer...
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2005, 02:18:02 pm »
The owner's vet didn't get them any food suggestions?

I think without guidance from a vet to go on, my instinct in that situation would probably be to start making my own food. I would do rice, veggies, etc (basically, the barf diet, minus the 'b', the 'rf' and anything else high in protein).

I did a google search and found this articles that you should read:
http://www.oncolink.com/types/article.cfm?c=22&s=69&ss=550&id=6002
http://www.holisticdog.org/Symptoms/D_E_F/Flaxseed/flaxseed.html

RIP former BPO

Offline mastiffmommy

• Chief "All Knowing"
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2005, 02:39:59 pm »
Well a dog with cancer, I am a bit surprised that the vet. did not suggest a diet. Since the inability to digest certain food is due to a serious health issue I would absolutely contact a vet. if my vet couldnt help, I would contact a teaching vet. hospital and see what they had to say and maybe get a refferal to an oncoligist that can help in that matter. Feeding a cancer sick dog is a lot different than feeding a healthy dog and it also depends on the cancer type and other side effects the cancer may have given.

I hope the poor guy, I hope they find out a diet he can eat and keep the food down. Send him my huggs and best wishes.

Marit
what the lion is to a cat, the mastiff is to a dog

GYPSY JAZMINE

« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2005, 03:18:55 pm »
Ty both for your replies!...I am sure the vet did give info. on feeding...I don't have all the details...My friend & I were just talking about one of her customers dogs...I think he is having trouble with even some of the alternative foods & needs to put on weight so Ijust thought I'd see if anyone here knew anything about the subject...I'll check out your links shangrilarcadi a & tell my friend to look too...She is a member but her computer is down at home...She'll have to look in from work...Ty again!!
« Last Edit: July 21, 2005, 06:09:24 pm by GYPSY JAZMINE »

GYPSY JAZMINE

« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2005, 06:12:19 pm »
Hi guys!...O.k...I spoke with my friend & she said the lady with the dog did try to food prescribed by the vet but her dog throws up & gets loose stools from the foods she has tried...It sounds like not too much agrees with him...The poor thing!
« Last Edit: July 22, 2005, 12:56:18 am by GYPSY JAZMINE »

Offline horsesdobes

• Gnawer
  • java and cameo
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2005, 08:08:30 pm »
I have not had particular experience with this , but my female dobe has to have a food that is very low protein so she does not get urine crystals and also that does not cause her skin to develop bacterial bumps....I use and LOVE Solid Gold Holistic Blend.. it is wonderful and the only dog food that I have found that works for her... just a thought.. the vet should have suggested something... altho I find that vets tend to reccommend Science Diet and it is a terrible dog food with lost of undigestable stuff in it and is one of the worst.. the whole dog journal does a study yearly and it was found to be one of the  worst...hope you find  a dog food that works for you.. but the Holistic Blend of Solid Gold has the lowest protein content that I could find..