Author Topic: Breeder problems  (Read 13605 times)

Offline AamirMom

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
Re: Breeder problems
« Reply #15 on: July 20, 2005, 02:14:29 pm »
I agree greek4 and that is the problem. I am not the breeder..I am however having major issues with the breeder whom I bought my dog from. I joined Big Paws to gain knowledge as to what else I might not have been told by this money hungry breeder i.e. what to look for and where do I go from here. For example the only reason I think this breeder will not give me a receipt for cash only purchase is that she is not claiming that income. Go figure...     

Offline shangrila

• Golden Paws
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 20, 2005, 05:41:53 pm »
For example the only reason I think this breeder will not give me a receipt for cash only purchase is that she is not claiming that income. Go figure...    

If that is the case and you want to get back at her, then report her to the IRS
RIP former BPO

Offline mastiffmommy

• Chief "All Knowing"
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 20, 2005, 06:44:17 pm »
If your dog has a health cert. you should have a copy of it, if I were you I would call the vet who did the checkup and ask why the hernia is not mentioned on the cert. I have heard of more than one occasion where breeders fraud health certs, so there is no real vet (not saying that is the case here though) Also some breeders put the amount down on the form you have to fill out and send in to AKC for registration. If not both the IRS thing and also making a complaint to AKC's ethical board would do her some harm. Make sure to tell her, on answering machine or pref. letter that this is what you will have to do, since things are not at all working out as you expected, when you thought you were dealing with a responsible breeder. Unfortunately this kind of problems, where the breeder is really really good and caring all the way until the money is in their bank is way too common.

Good Luck to you and keep us posted on how things go

Marit
what the lion is to a cat, the mastiff is to a dog

Offline shangrila

• Golden Paws
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 20, 2005, 07:04:07 pm »
I have heard of more than one occasion where breeders fraud health certs, so there is no real vet (not saying that is the case here though)
Yep, this deffinately happens. Happened to us  >:(
RIP former BPO

Offline AamirMom

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 20, 2005, 07:24:46 pm »
Marit ~ Thank you for the well thought out advice, I felt like reading your post was like talking to a friend. Never thought of calling the breeders vet that did the health cert. when in fact when I called the breeder today to tell her that my vet found the umbilical hernia, she said that "she thought the dame had just chewed the cord to close and it would close up" in otherwords she knew it was there when I took the pup home. Then she got defensive and asked for my vet's name and phone number which I gave to her eeekk my poor vet...maybe that wasn't a good idea. Again Marit thanks.   

Offline mastiffmommy

• Chief "All Knowing"
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 20, 2005, 08:16:00 pm »
Thanks for the kind words AamirMom, thats why this board is soooo good, we are all friends and try and help when we can.

It is sad that the breeder (and I use that term very loosely lol) knew, and if she didnt mention it or even could see the difference, well what can I say, she has a long long way to go before she can concider helself a professional and responsible breeder. Even worse though, if the vet. didnt react, if the vets dont pick up on things like that, what is the point in having health certs on dogs we buy.

I am sure your vet dont mind having her call him, I know that my vet would not at all mind trying to help solving a problem.

I would go so far, so to tell the breeder, that since she knew about it you need to get at least the amount of money back, so it covers the surgery. Dont back down, you are in the right here and breeders like that need to sometimes get their fingers slapped for the way they treat puppy buyers.

Give your baby a big hug

Marit
what the lion is to a cat, the mastiff is to a dog

Offline jabear

• Wizard of Wiggling & Waggling
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 20, 2005, 09:29:32 pm »
Good luck in dealing with your breeder. This is an unfortunate issue that comes around way too often. Poor dogs and owners who have no support from the breeder. All I can say is that we are here for support and if you go to the past threads you can find lots of information on bad breeders and possible action to take.
Hugs,
Jaime
  Mom to one handsome black Bear.

Offline taijinrr

• Big Paws-a-holic
  • we breed for quality, not quantity.TOP PEDIGREES,
    • View Profile
    • http:www.taijinrhodesianrhodesianridgebacks
« Reply #22 on: July 21, 2005, 05:24:05 am »
THIS IS SO SAD,
PEOPLE ASK ME WHY I ASK A HIGH PRICE FOR MY PUPPIES,WHEN I HAVE A LITTER,,,
MAYBE BECAUSE I GO 110% ON MY DOGS  THE PARENTS AND THE PUPPIES. ONE WOMAN SAID SHE GOT ONE FOR 1/2 THE PRICE. I TOLD HER THATS GOOD. I DID FINALLY RUN INTO HER, AND WHAT A HORROR. IT WAS A VERY UGLY RR AND LOOKED ALMOST LIKE A MIX.
THE PUP NOW ABOUT 8 MONTHS OLD, ALSO WAS MEAN TEMPERD. IT SEEMED THAT THE "BREEDER" FIGURED  IT HAS A RIDGE,,,,,, AKC PAPERS,,,,LET'S  BREED IT!
WHAT ABOUT ALL THE PEDIGREES , GENETICS AND TESTS  BEFORE BREEDING AND GOING OVER AND OVER THE PUP UNTIL THE DAY THEY LEAVE, JUST TO MAKE SURE THEY ARE SOUND AND OF TYPE . (PET VERSES SHOW PROSPECT) ALL THE PUPS GO TO MY VET FOR A FULL HEALTH CHECK AND THE NEW OWNER GETS THE CERTIFICATE, NOT A COPY, NAILS ARE DONE  DEW CLAWS REMOVED( AT 3 DAYS OLD), EARS ARE CLEANED, ,,,,,,,,,ID RATHER WAIT FOR THE RIGHT PUP AND RIGHT OWNER THEN RUN TO THE HYMMMMMMMMMM BANK? A GOOD BREEDER PUTS OUT ALOT MONEY ON THE LITTER, TO INSURE  HEALTYH PUPPYS AND HAPPY SOUND PUPS. ALSO, ASK FOR RECOMENDATIONS ON OTHER PEOPLE THAT HAVE BOUGHT FROM A BREEDER BEFORE, SEE HOW THE PUP IS DOING  ASK FOR PHOTOS, AND PLEASEEEEEE, NEVER BUY FROM A PET STORE!   IF YOU DONT WANT TO SPEND A CERTAIN COST FOR A DOG, PLEASE ADOPT FROM THE SHELTER OR GO TO A RESCUE SITE, AND SAVE A LIFE!
TAIJIN Rhodesian Ridgebacks

Offline taijinrr

• Big Paws-a-holic
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 21, 2005, 05:43:16 am »
I FEEL THE SAME WAY ABOUT FAIR
BUT IF THE DOG IS EXCEPTIONAL,,,,,,,,,,,,,, MAYBE, I SAID MAYBE MIGHT DO A FAIR. BY EXCEPTIONAL,,,,,,,THE DOG IS JUST SO WELL PUT TOGETHER AND EVEN TEMPERED,( HAS WON MULTI MAJORS AND CHAMPIONED SO FAST,ETC.) AND BRED TO A EXCELENT TO GOOD  IT MIGHT BE WORTH IT
SO FAR THO,,,,,,IVE NEVER BRED A FAIR, ALWAYS GOOD/EXCELENT ETC
THATS WHAT I MEAN BY BEING HONEST AND ETHICAL,, I CANT SAY I MIGHT NEVER DO IT, BUT HOPE I WONT HAVE TO!
THERE IS A   HYMMMMMMMMMM" BREEDER" IN TEXAS,,,,,SAYS RIDGEBACKS  THE BEST KEPT SECRET  HORRIBLE PUPPY MILL IF I AM ABLE TO PUT MY OPINON IN.  I HAVE HAD RIDGEBACKS OVER 20 YEARS AND KNOW OF A ETHICAL BREEDER THAT HAD THEM FOR 30 YEARS,,,,WHAT SECRET???????  ANYONE WHO ALWAYS HAS PUPS AVAIABLE IS A PUPPY MILL TO ME  OR OWNS 1000000 DOGS --------  NOT.   OH  BTW  WE ARE WAITING ON OUR CH.BITCH TO BE BRED  (OFA GOOD) TO A AWESOME CHAMPION  MALE  OFA EXCELENT, WITH A BEAUTIFUL PEDIGREE, OUT OF A # 1 RR .
I WILL GO 200% ON THESE PUPS AND AM VERY EXCITED.  SO FAR I HAVE SPENT $1000'S ON THE MOM TO BE ON SHOWS AND ALL HEALTH CHECKS. I MUST SAY  I AM VERY PROUD OF HER AND ALL HER ACCOMPLISHMENT S AND HER BEAUTY AND TEMPERMENT. UMMMMMMMMMM YEA   ILL PROBABLY KEEP 2 MORE  I AM A GLUTTON FOR , I CANT SAY PUNNISHMENT, IT MUST BE  FOR THE LOVE OF THIS BREED

Offline AamirMom

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 21, 2005, 11:11:07 am »
Good Day Taijinrr;

Yes, I made an emotional decission when I purchased my RR. Went to the first breeder that was the closest to my home. On the phone with her prior to my driving to pick up the pup I was given the impression that I would have someone whom I could call to advise me on training..for this breed, any health concerns, questions regarding diet..well you know the realatinship I am speaking of. Anyway to my dismay and what brought me here to this site. Is the very lack of support, in fact she has made she I don't want to call her, who would want to be ridiculed verbally. She even had the gall to say my pup was "her dog" yesterday. I will send her a letter in writting asking again..forth time for a receipt. She avoided the umbilical issue by saying I was supposed to take the pup to the vet within 72 hours of purchase, like that would of made a differance. The Fair rating on the OFA record was never discussed until you directed me to that site..thank you BTW but from what I read on the OFA site FAIR is the bottom line on acceptable, so the breeder has got me there too. That IS and what makes you a professional breeder and her a back yard breeder IMO.

However and after the fact I would not give up this dog now..he is my baby regardless but I know NOW that he might endure hip problems. The hernia has to be fixed according to my vet because it could fill up with stool causing major problems even death, even after surgery the hernia might come back. If it was just cosmetic I would not be so upset. So yes Taijinrr, I know now what I should have researched, asked, looked for in the breeder but as you said my RR will make a wonderful pet and he is. Thank you for your honest advise and support. BTW your RR is beautiful  :)     

Offline GrumpyBunny

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 21, 2005, 11:30:02 am »
Having never purchased a dog from a breeder, I have no authority to weigh in on this subject, but I did just want to say one thing...  

We live and we learn.  It's a process of education.  We all know things about dogs now that we didn't 10 years ago, or 5 years ago or even last year.  We all have made mistakes in the past that we wouldn't make again now that we have a better education or more experience on the subject.  We have all been there.

You love your pup and he is your baby now, and that is what is important.  Everyone has given great advice, and any education that you get out of that advice is a bonus that will help you to make a well-informed decision next time, and will help you to educate others.  No apologies for not knowing what you didn't know - NOW you know, and you move forward with it.   ;D
« Last Edit: July 21, 2005, 11:31:40 am by grumpybunny »
*Founder of the Official Suspicious Chicken Fan Club*

Offline AamirMom

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 21, 2005, 12:29:54 pm »
Agreed Grumpybunny and in all aspects of life we learn;

Now I am responsible for this pups life but he can't defend himself verbally. The reason I am not taking a back seat, learn and move on..not suggesting you had implied that..but I am looking at the bigger picture in all of this unfairness to the dog and to the owner. It is due to the greed of the breeder that my pup has to go though a surgery that could have been avoided through proper breeding. As this pup grows into adulthood, we both could also be looking at the unnecessary pain and suffering of hip dysphasia..aga in this too could have possibly been avoided by responsible breeding ethics.

All of this is about the breeder who will continue to breed RR's and sell them to families under shaded pretences. Not fair to the dogs and not fair to the owners IMO. That is what this is about now...how to stop her or at least wake her up to the fact that what she is doing is not ethically correct. Honestly, in the eyes of legality she might not be doing anything wrong..I think she found that line and knows how to walk it. But still that does not make it right and with greed as your motivator you are bound to screw up somewhere. I am trying to find that "somewhere" so this does not happen to someone else.     

Offline GrumpyBunny

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 21, 2005, 12:39:59 pm »
Agreed Grumpybunny and in all aspects of life we learn;

Now I am responsible for this pups life but he can't defend himself verbally. The reason I am not taking a back seat, learn and move on..not suggesting you had implied that..but I am looking at the bigger picture in all of this unfairness to the dog and to the owner. It is due to the greed of the breeder that my pup has to go though a surgery that could have been avoided through proper breeding. As this pup grows into adulthood, we both could also be looking at the unnecessary pain and suffering of hip dysphasia..aga in this too could have possibly been avoided by responsible breeding ethics.

All of this is about the breeder who will continue to breed RR's and sell them to families under shaded pretences. Not fair to the dogs and not fair to the owners IMO. That is what this is about now...how to stop her or at least wake her up to the fact that what she is doing is not ethically correct. Honestly, in the eyes of legality she might not be doing anything wrong..I think she found that line and knows how to walk it. But still that does not make it right and with greed as your motivator you are bound to screw up somewhere. I am trying to find that "somewhere" so this does not happen to someone else.    

You are right, I totally DON'T think you should just take a backseat and move on.   ;D  I think you should do whatever you can to bring this persons behavior to light and make sure this doesn't happen to someone else.  You have to speak for your pup!
*Founder of the Official Suspicious Chicken Fan Club*

Offline AamirMom

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 21, 2005, 01:01:48 pm »
Aamir asked me to send his picture as a hearty "Thank you" to everyone who has responded to his Mom's posting. He was 9 weeks old here weighing in at around 14 pounds. Now he is 11 weeks old and weighs 20 pounds! He is one growing boy! Mom needs to buy more batteries for her camera  :P

Offline taijinrr

• Big Paws-a-holic
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 21, 2005, 01:43:38 pm »
if you have it on paper   that you can check out your dog for 72 hours,
most  do want to let you have a 2nd health opinon if you want.
if you did its usually a puppy exchange, but she should stand by her dogs. at least she did do the OFA's.  thank you for the compliment on my nandi, so sweet a ridgeback.
she championed at 15 months old, we were so proud of her, so did her mother that i bred.
very pretty ridgebacks.
i do not know how much you paid for your dog, im sure it was costly. just get the belly fixed and love him. he is a very lucky dog to have you for a mom. that's what we all wish for our babies that they go to a wonderful home, to be loved and spoiled for ever. if you need any info on the breed  you can e mail me directly at billie4121@aol.com
 there is no such question as a stupid question, only stupid question is the one not asked!

here is midori  still a puppy