Author Topic: Breeder problems  (Read 13526 times)

Offline AamirMom

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
Breeder problems
« on: July 20, 2005, 10:21:42 am »
I just purchased a Rhodesian Ridgeback two weeks ago and took the pup to the vet yesterday for his next set of shots and check-up. The vet informed me that the pup has a umbilical hernia that requires surgery. I know I should inform the breeder but shouldn't of the breeder informed me about the umbilical hernia when I made the purchase? I didn't know what the bump on his belly was....I have also asked the breeder to send me a receipt for the purchase because I paid cash and she has refused to send me one. Any suggestions as to what I should do?

Offline Carolyn

• Big Paws-a-holic
    • View Profile
Re: Breeder problems
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2005, 10:42:13 am »
My Kiya has one also, I do not recall the breeder telling me about it, she said she thought she did. So when I took Kiya to the vet for the first time I just about flipped out. I was told then it was not necessary to remove it, that it would only be cosmetic. I spoke to my other breeder & she said Apache's mom has one too. When Kiya went back to the vet for her xrays I left the decision up to my vet, to remove it or not. He called and said it was not necesary, could have got me for another $300, I trust my vet.
Carolyn
Carolyn

Offline taijinrr

• Big Paws-a-holic
  • we breed for quality, not quantity.TOP PEDIGREES,
    • View Profile
    • http:www.taijinrhodesianrhodesianridgebacks
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2005, 10:46:11 am »
didnt the pup come with a vet check up??all our pups are vet checked before they go to homes!(health certificates)
a ethical breeder should stand behind thier dogs, always.
the hernia is from birth, and should have been noticed before purchase.

Are the parents OFA?????  hips/elbows???
please   breed to make better dogs,,,,,,,, not more
TAIJIN Rhodesian Ridgebacks

Offline fcsantos

• Full Fledged Chewer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2005, 10:49:45 am »
Any breeder who truly believes in breeding and the betterment of the breed should stand behind their product and either take the dog back and refund the money or pay for the surgery. You should always obtain a reciept for your purchases so you can have proof of payment in case you have to sue.

Offline Cymbaline

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2005, 10:51:16 am »
I don't know if there is anything you can do but take legal action if the breeder doesn't give you a reciept.  I know that it's very helpful but I would go to another vet or talk to your vet and ask if the hernia problem will result in health problems. If not then maybe you will not need to do anything.

Offline brigid67

• BPO Guru
  • Dream And Desire
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2005, 10:52:37 am »
Willow has one also.  My breeder was very upfront and knocked of 300 on her fee for the repair.  It is mostly cosmetic and I can choose to have it repaired when she is spayed if I like.  Most likely happened at the delivery.
Timmie

Offline taijinrr

• Big Paws-a-holic
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2005, 11:01:07 am »
does the dog have papers???       AKC?
theres the proof of the breeder  always do researh on any breed before you get a pup.
i have had ridgebacks for many,many years!

just because it has a "ridge" dosnt make it a ridgeback in my eyes
just love your pup and do your best, im sure he will be a good pet.

Offline AamirMom

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 20, 2005, 11:05:06 am »
Thank you for all the wonderful replies and yes the pup is AKC, vet checked prior to purchase and the breeder said the parents are OFA certified. I just called the breeder and told her about the umbilical hernia and asked if any of her other puppies she had sold had it had bith. The breeder laughed at me and told me she would call me back..egads next she will tell me it is my fault.

Offline taijinrr

• Big Paws-a-holic
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 20, 2005, 11:10:21 am »
it will say on the AKC papers if the parents are OFA  or
look up the parents at the OFA site  it will tell you when you put in the reg. #'s

IE" SIRE  DOG OFA g24  el24  , and so on,,,,,,

Offline Cymbaline

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 20, 2005, 11:12:50 am »
Too bad there isn't a "Bad Breeder" notification of some sort you can report this person to if she doesn't respond back to you. 

I understand where she may have overlooked this problem with the puppy... I assume she may have but not to give you a reciept for your purchase and not to provide you any information? That is just bad business practice.

Offline AamirMom

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 20, 2005, 11:28:01 am »
Thank you Taijinrr and checking the OFA site now, The AKC paperwork just has AKC DNA # and under the DAM there is a number. And yes he is a wonderful dog..love him very much just wish I had bought him from a caring breeder who was not doing this just for the money  :'( :'( 

Offline shangrila

• Golden Paws
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 20, 2005, 11:45:23 am »
The world is full of bad breeders. Even when you think you are doing everything you can to find a good one, it is easy to find a bad one. I now despise the breeder I got my saint from (she is way worse than what you have described if that makes you feel any better), and a little bit back BPO was full of threads about taking action against a bad breeder.

That being said, don't worry so much about an umbilical hernia. It is mostly cosmetic and you can easily have it removed during a spay/neuter. Zoey had one and we paid less than $100 extra to have hers removed during her spay.
RIP former BPO

Offline Rachel

• BPO Guru
  • Sophie
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 20, 2005, 11:56:07 am »
Here is a forum that keeps a running black list of dog breeders:  http://www.notjustdogs.com/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.pl?board=DogBnW_bd   
Rachel and Sophie

My new venture...
www.seasidequi lts.etsy.com

My blog for Sophie, crafting, and life in general
www.seasidequi lts.com/blog

Offline AamirMom

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 20, 2005, 12:07:23 pm »
Yep Sire is registered on the OFA site. Hips Fair and Normal. Dam is on there as well Hips and Elbows Good and Normal. I know the breeder won't call me back, she acts like she cares "she loves her dogs" what she is really saying is she loves making money off her dogs. Lot's of litters always for sale. 

Offline greek4

• Majestic Member
  • Kole with Maia, Baxter, Rocco, and Cody
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 20, 2005, 01:55:40 pm »
Yep Sire is registered on the OFA site. Hips Fair and Normal. Dam is on there as well Hips and Elbows Good and Normal. I know the breeder won't call me back, she acts like she cares "she loves her dogs" what she is really saying is she loves making money off her dogs. Lot's of litters always for sale.  

I'm not knocking you...I thought it was not a good idea to breed unless the certification were excellent or at least good but definately not just fair.
Thanks,

Emily and 1 husband, 1 boy, 1 on the way, and 4 crazy dogs