Author Topic: Growth Question For Pyr Owners!  (Read 3225 times)

mama23+pyrs2

Growth Question For Pyr Owners!
« on: July 22, 2007, 06:42:33 am »
So, I was wondering if you all that have raised puppies could tell me when yours reached their adult height, approximately? Is it always around the same age for every Pyr or does it differ? I've heard some people say 1 year .. I'm just curious. I know they grow very slowly and take years to reach their max weight but height comes faster right? Just wondering how much longer I can expect my pups to grow taller. They were 7 months yesterday.

Thanks for your feedback!

Offline GoldenPyrs

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
Re: Growth Question For Pyr Owners!
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2007, 08:16:15 am »
I wish that I'd kept growth charts for Cara & Halley, but I didn't so I'll just have to go from memory.  As I recall, they were at their full height by somewhere between 9-12 months, but of course they continued to fill out and mature for much longer.  Cara was finished filling out between 2 1/2 and 3.  You will still see a lot of change in Yukon & Yiska's overall look for the next year or so, b/c as they fill out and their adult coat really comes as they mature they just get more and more beautiful.   ;D  :-*  :-*  How tall are they now? 
Marie

And my pups:
Daisy a 9 y/o Golden/Lab mix
Sammy a 6-7(?) y/o Great Pyrenees adopted 3/07
Cassie a 3 y/o Pyr/Mystery Snuggle Bunny mix adopted 2/07

My angel girls waiting at the Bridge:
Cara 1989-2001 Great Pyrenees
Sally ? - 1993 Dobie(rescued '92)
Halley 2002-2006 Great Pyrenees

marypyrs

« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2007, 09:24:23 am »
Pyrs are slow to mature. You won't know what you have size wise (and in my experience - personality wise) until they are possibly 3+ yrs old or more. It's important to keep them a healthy lean weight for proper development. Now that Rain is four years old, she has her beautiful full coat. She a big girl. While Whisper, as just shy of one year old, is still growing and developing day by day. He's around 30" and 107. None of my Pyrs reached full height until at least two years of age. Although, of course, it slows dramaticly.  ;)

There are a lot of Pyr People out there that know far more than I. This has just been my experience over a lot (35+)of years. But only seven Pyrs.

PATRICK? ARE YOU OUT THERE? Paige?? People Whisperer? Cirra? Bo? GoldenPyrs? All you Guys?  :)

It's the Pyrsonality that matters. Eh? :-*

Offline People Whisperer

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2007, 11:02:29 am »
Lily is my first Pyr so I don't really know much from experience. I do know that they reach their height by 1-1.5...then they fill up with muscle and ...you know, LOL (sorry, couldn't hold that one) Lily has been 78 lb since 8 months and now stuck at the same weight, which is good for her growth (I think). She is 27 tall at 12 months. I am sure that the development of different bloodlines is different as well.

Kristina, don't worry about your guys growing. The more they grow the calmer they will get. Lily was driving me crazy at 6-10 months and now she sleeps 22 hours a day! Hang in there!!!
« Last Edit: July 22, 2007, 11:03:33 am by People Whisperer »
"To once own a Great Pyrenees is to love and want one always."
Mary W. Crane

I don't suffer from insanity; I enjoy every minute of it :)

Offline patrick

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
    • Great Pyrenees
« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2007, 09:31:52 pm »
Most of their height is by the time they are around 1 year old- HOWEVER they can grow additional height after 1 year- its just not dramatic.  Jason is 20 months old and he just added another inch this summer.  One way to get a rough idea of ultimate height is to check the length of the tail pulled straight down in relation to the hock.  At full maturity the end of the tail is right around the point of the hock or just below.  At this age the number of inches the tail is below the hock is roughly how much taller the dog will be at maturity.  Not scientific but it does give you an idea

mama23+pyrs2

« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2007, 10:02:35 pm »
Wow, lots of different information, thanks! That gives me some idea anyway! Personality wise they are great, they aren't making me crazy YET lol. Yukon is becoming more of a handful because he's a bit more excitable than he used to be, yet he still acts like he's small. ;) But as I've said before, they are really the best doggies ever. I'm looking forward to how their personalities develop as they mature too! Yiska actually barked yesterday and I was almost in tears that she was normal LOL. See, she never ever barks and it was nice to see her interacting. :)

Marie~ Yukon is 28" at the shoulder and Yiska is about 25-26". She's quite a bit shorter than him. I'm thinking she may take after her mom, cause she's not a real big girl. She is 27" and maybe 110 or so. Yiska was a large female from the litter, which doesn't neccessarily mean anything. She's much more compact and delicately built, but still solid if that makes sense. Yukon may take after his Dad too, but his dad was also the runt of his litter and 30" and about 120 or so, at almost 3 yrs. And Yukon was the biggest male of that litter. They seem to be staying pretty lean. I always check that I can feel their ribs to make sure they aren't beefing up or anything lol. They hardly touch their food anymore, at any meal. Yukon should be about 70 lbs but it's been a long time since we've weighed them..Yiska should be about 10 lbs behind him, at least that's what she had been weighing.

Patrick~ that is interesting about the tail...I'l have to look at that for kicks. I've never heard that!

Thanks you guys for all your feedback!

Offline People Whisperer

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2007, 10:14:17 pm »
Yay, they are tall enough to stand on your shoulders!!! Pictures, please! ;D
"To once own a Great Pyrenees is to love and want one always."
Mary W. Crane

I don't suffer from insanity; I enjoy every minute of it :)