Author Topic: Big Dog Toys - Need suggestions  (Read 3464 times)

Offline Cymbaline

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
Big Dog Toys - Need suggestions
« on: July 20, 2005, 10:46:56 am »
Hello all... Cymbaline Austin here in Austin, Texas.

I have two big dogs which are in desperate need of something to keep them entertained.

Any have suggestions for homemade toys? How about recommendation s on store bought toys?

Would like to find some toys which I can leave with them during the day and not worry about being too destoyed.

Hopefully I'm not wishing for a miracle :)

Also has anyone had any luck with thos big Nyla Bones.. The "tough" ones.

Offline Carolyn

• Big Paws-a-holic
    • View Profile
Re: Big Dog Toys - Need suggestions
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2005, 11:41:36 am »
The indestructible ball I have is on its 2nd dog, purchased about 12 years ago, Apache inherited it from Cheyenne & will probably be passed on again. I buy solid balls & tennis balls galore. My old girl Chazzy pops tennis balls. Kiya loves rope toys, they play tug together. I think my guys sleep all day & when I come home they want to play with toys.
Carolyn
Carolyn

Icerotti

« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2005, 11:46:19 am »
We have an indestructable ball that has been around for 6 years or so.  Kongs are good. I have a Rotti who is very hard on toys. Those have been great for us. We go through tennis balls by the dozen...they get stripped of the fuzz first then popped and ripped into pieces. Fun for him---alot of work for me.LOL
Ropes last a while if they are the really really tight ones.
Good Luck. I would love to hear from you if you find a great long lasting toy ;)

Offline Nina

• Supreme Drooler
  • In Loving memory 12/30/05 8:30pm We miss you
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2005, 11:54:30 am »
Hello

I use the durable souper, and my 2 gogs just love them, but my lab is such a strong chewer that she will break large pices off when chewing, so I have to always watch her when she is chewing on one so I don't leave the nylabone in the den with her while I am at work. I usually leave a treat filled kong or a rubber chew, nyla makes one and Harley likes it. I would suggest nyla bones, it is the only thing that I have found that my dogs love and don't distroy in 5 mins.

Nina
Nina and Tim
Calgary, AB, Canada
Harley(Lab mix)
Dilbert(Pyr mix)At the bridge
Jolene (cat)

Offline shangrila

• Golden Paws
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2005, 11:57:49 am »
Check out this link to a recent thread about toys: http://bigpawsonly.com/index.php/topic,1592.msg15877.html

If saving money is your goal, I personally find that one of my saint's favorite chew toys is a plain old 2 liter bottle (with the cap & cap ring thingy removed for safety). Sure, it's destroyed at the end of the day, but hey, it's free since I'm already getting the soda...
RIP former BPO

Offline Cymbaline

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2005, 01:22:26 pm »
Nah, money isn't my concern but safety is . I mean I can't afford to buy them a  50 dollar toy every other day so having a toy that isn't easily destroyed is nice in that aspect as well but  my main cocern is safety.

I had someone suggest the coke bottle. I think I'm going to give that a shot. I think it would be fun to put in some large kibble (make it more interesting) as well in it for them.

they aren't huge toy fans unless they can destory it but I will suffer with that. I'm thinking about buying cheap ones and letting them play with them supervised.

but thinking about things I can give them for unsupevised play.

GYPSY JAZMINE

« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2005, 01:42:51 pm »
Nah, money isn't my concern but safety is . I mean I can't afford to buy them a  50 dollar toy every other day so having a toy that isn't easily destroyed is nice in that aspect as well but  my main cocern is safety.

I had someone suggest the coke bottle. I think I'm going to give that a shot. I think it would be fun to put in some large kibble (make it more interesting) as well in it for them.

they aren't huge toy fans unless they can destory it but I will suffer with that. I'm thinking about buying cheap ones and letting them play with them supervised.

but thinking about things I can give them for unsupevised play.

I would think twice about the Coke bottle for unsupervised play...Samson loves the plastic 2 liters but has easily taken the caps off many times...chokin g hazard...I give them to him withouit the lids now...The only toy Samson has besides his Kong that he hasn't destroyed yet he actually stole from the cats...It's called a Turbo Scratcher...A round flat plastic disk with a track oround the outside that a ball rolls around in but won't come out...He has been trying to get the ball out since we got him at 14 weeks old last Nov...lol!...But, I am not sure if that would be a good toy either for unsupervised play if your dogs can really take something apart...If they broke the track the ball could be choked on.

lins_saving_grace

« Reply #7 on: July 20, 2005, 02:11:52 pm »
My girls love those nyla bones.  They get thrown away once the stub gets a little rough...but they do great with them.  They also get those Kong toys.  They can't destroy the tough ones.  The dainty toys they get when I'm home to supervise. :)