Author Topic: Calling all pyr owners.....  (Read 4999 times)

Offline Pyr Heaven

• Grand Master
    • View Profile
    • My Dogster Page
Calling all pyr owners.....
« on: December 01, 2007, 10:34:29 pm »
Question.

Miles' hair is CURLY on his back. It is just a strip on his back though. Is it just the fact that his coat hasn't fully developed yet or will it always be like that? Everywhere else it is relatively normal. And he's growing a nice thick tail on him ;D...I was just wondering if anyone elses pyr had a curly back...and it turned normal eventually?

(P.S. it's not poodle curly or anything....it's just got a bit of curl to it when it's wet...then its sorta wavy when its dry)
*~*~Samantha~*~*
Milwaukee, Wi

----Miles----
Great Pyrenees

Offline patrick

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
    • Great Pyrenees
Re: Calling all pyr owners.....
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2007, 11:08:29 pm »
Yep it actually is fairly common even in adults

Offline maxsmom

• Leader of the Pack
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2007, 12:16:53 am »
Jake is 1.5 and has wavy hair down the middle of his back.  The rest of his hair is straight, except for that area.
Kathy
Max  2 Irish Wolfhound
Jake  2 Great Pyrenees
Cody   3 Tibetan Mastiff
ChiChi 1.5 Caucasian Ovcharka
John and Nicki Maine Coon cats

Offline London_Pyr_Lover

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2007, 05:21:23 am »
Naja also has a curly back.  That kinda freaked me out too cause I didn't know, but I just figured, Meh...Whatever .  It's good to know that it's a normal thing though.   :D
My Sponsership page for my very first race!

Offline London_Pyr_Lover

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2007, 05:26:12 am »
Hey I've got a question for all the girly Pyr owners.  It's kinda gross though.  What do you do to clean the fur around your girls' hoo hoo?  Naja's is kinda dark and a little crusty, Not like flaky weird crusty, just like dried pee crusty.  The Vet hasn't said anything about it, and I have her check Naja all over everytime we go, so I figure it's normal.  I just don't like the look of it.  Can you trim the hair down there, or get a special shampoo?  Or would you just say leave it alone.  I say this cause she's always on her back asking for belly rubs.

Offline People Whisperer

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2007, 05:33:12 am »
Hey I've got a question for all the girly Pyr owners.  It's kinda gross though.  What do you do to clean the fur around your girls' hoo hoo?  Naja's is kinda dark and a little crusty, Not like flaky weird crusty, just like dried pee crusty.  The Vet hasn't said anything about it, and I have her check Naja all over everytime we go, so I figure it's normal.  I just don't like the look of it.  Can you trim the hair down there, or get a special shampoo?  Or would you just say leave it alone.  I say this cause she's always on her back asking for belly rubs.
You get get feminine wipes OR you can use wet paper towel or wash cloth OR use waterless shampoo to clean it weekly. I spray it on paper towel and wipe Lily's hoo hoo  :D
"To once own a Great Pyrenees is to love and want one always."
Mary W. Crane

I don't suffer from insanity; I enjoy every minute of it :)

Offline London_Pyr_Lover

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2007, 05:36:06 am »
I never thought of feminin wipes. I also have the waterless shampoo and never thought to use that either.  Thanks!  ;) :)
« Last Edit: December 02, 2007, 05:37:22 am by London_Pyr_Lover »

Offline Pyr Heaven

• Grand Master
    • View Profile
    • My Dogster Page
« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2007, 09:02:31 am »
Miles gets crusty pee on his pee pee! hahaha I take a wet paper towel and get it off. I find it odd that there is hair around there. It looks like its sprouting out of his pee peeee. hahaha.

Oh, and I'm glad that the wavy back hair is on the normal side. I know that pyrs that have a curly coat are not to be show dogs...(not that i'm showing him haha) but I was just wondering if a bit of wavyness on the back is normal. Thanks guys!
*~*~Samantha~*~*
Milwaukee, Wi

----Miles----
Great Pyrenees

Offline patrick

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
    • Great Pyrenees
« Reply #8 on: December 02, 2007, 04:09:27 pm »
Actually Pyrs with a curly coat do show  When they are washed the hair is brushed straight while drying!

Offline Pyr Heaven

• Grand Master
    • View Profile
    • My Dogster Page
« Reply #9 on: December 02, 2007, 06:24:32 pm »
Actually Pyrs with a curly coat do show  When they are washed the hair is brushed straight while drying!

yes. this is true. very smart. haha
*~*~Samantha~*~*
Milwaukee, Wi

----Miles----
Great Pyrenees

Offline mountaindogmom

• Full Fledged Chewer
    • View Profile
    • Jack & Greta's Pics
« Reply #10 on: December 02, 2007, 06:56:27 pm »
Jack has very wavy hair along his whole back and it's been that way since his adult fur started coming in around 6 months of age.  He also has the "pee pee crust" problem as well!  Actually, we just took him to the groomer for the first time a couple of weeks ago so she could give him a sanitary cut around his tummy and his butt.  He gets runny stools sometimes and I REALLY don't like wiping his giant butt with baby wipes!  She also trimmed the hair on his "pee pee" (since that's the term we seem to be using!) and shaved his tummy down around that area so he doesn't seem to be getting the "crusties" as much now.  YEAH!!  :D
Greta - Greater Swiss Mountain Dog (DOB 5-20-06)
Jack - Great Pyrenees (DOB 12-26-06)
& Three Kitties - Zoie, Bella & Nessie!

Offline BigSoftandFluffyLover

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 30, 2008, 01:51:26 am »
I used to have two boys, Valcore/Rasputin.  The only way that you could tell the difference between them was one had more of a curly fro on the back than the other.  If you look at a golden retriever and a GP their coats look a lot the same.  This is because they use/used GP's genes to calm golden retrievers, make them bigger and to lighten their coats.  Hence why they shed the same too!  ;)  Anywho, this is very very normal for the breed.