Author Topic: I want a Mastiff or a Newfie BUT...  (Read 3696 times)

Offline aggghgmom

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
I want a Mastiff or a Newfie BUT...
« on: July 23, 2007, 09:51:11 pm »
OK so many of you know that I really wanted a Mastiff and now I am leaning to a Newfie, but hubby doesn't really want another big dog.

My 8 year old daughter is adopted from South Korea and has some problems with attention and realizing that she belongs to our family, I am currently reading a great book that is making things much clearer for me (I couldn't understand why she was so mean, and seemed to be so uncaring)

Well anyway, at one point the psychiatrist suggested maybe getting a small dog for my daugher (She can't handle Harley he is SUCH a handful).  A dog she could love and walk and play with (I DO realize that all the real responsiblity will fall on me).  Hubby kind of poo pooed the suggestion well I was flipping thru the classified yesterday and found an adorable puppy lapso apso (sp) well hubby surprised me and called and set up an appointment for today to go look but he didn't ask any puppy questions so I called back and the guy said he was bathing the pup we were going to look at and one that was being picked up today, so I asked a few questions told him I would see him at 11:30 and hung up he called back about 5 minutes later and said the pup was sold? 

In a way I am relieved because I hadn't done any research on the breed, and was afraid when I went to look at the dog I would fall in love and the answers to my questions wouldn't matter.

So, I think I am more interested in a ShiZhu (sp) than a llapso anyway but would love some insight for you guys what kind of ankle biter would you get???

Sorry so long!!

Randy and Harley (who is sweating just thinking of a cute pup in the house!)

Offline Ali

• BPO Fanatic
  • My girls!
    • View Profile
Re: I want a Mastiff or a Newfie BUT...
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2007, 10:17:37 pm »
Hmmm...ankle biters...OK, well, I also have an 8 year old daughter. If your is anything like mine, I don't even dare buy her a shirt without her present to thumbs up it or thumbs down it. Is it possible to bring your kiddo in on this whole thing? Tell her you guys would like her to have her own puppy, do some research with her, see what she's drawn to. Maybe from there, check out some breed rescues. Or, maybe spend a Saturday or two at the pound and she'll pick out her own little mutt puppy. She may feel empowered and have a much stronger bond with her fur baby if she has a big role in selection. (And who knows - maybe she'll choose a big paw after all!!)
Ali
mom of 4 humans AND
Tani (TAH-nee or rhymes with "Bonnie")- Aussie/Pittie?Boxer?Mutt!
Kai - Aussie/Dobie
Kenji - big ol' black cat
Mika and Nishi - kitty sisters, foster failures!
Tasia Ladysnake - ball python

Offline aggghgmom

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2007, 11:01:59 pm »
I think the shelter is a great idea - but our shelter very rarely has small dogs - I guess that is a good thing since people must not be getting rid of as many - but I definately think getting her involved is an excellent idea!!

I was thinking shitzhu (sp) because our neighbors have one and there are 2 at baseball that she loves to cuddle with and walk - I have contacted the one family because the dog seems great and they LOVE the breeder.

Offline Duramax

• Majestic Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2007, 11:48:42 pm »
bichon's have a great rep with kids around here too. Border terriers would also be a good breed to look into, they're small and have kind of a durable build, they're super cute, and have a rep for being great dogs for families. i have 4 brother inlaws that are adopted too so i know firsthand what you are going through. it's so worth it though :D
Christina
mother of:
2 babies
2 great danes -Duramax
              -boog

"Some days you're the dog; some days you're the hydrant." -Unknown

Offline kathryn

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2007, 12:23:20 am »
I have had Boston Terriers for most of my life.  They are great dogs and mine have been good with kids.  They were great with me and my brother and sister.  They are built Ford tough and they think they are 10 feet tall and bullet proof.  They have energy when you want to play and can just laze around the house too.  They are super smart also.  I love the bigger BTs with the longer snouts but that's just me.  Mine were all around 20-25 pound dogs and super loyal. 
I agree with letting your daughter help decide.  Maybe take her to Barnes & Noble and look at a book of small breeds and see which ones she has an interest in if your shelter doesn't normally have small dogs.
Kaila - Belgian Malinois
Shiner - Malinois x Ridgeback
Toulouse, Cayenne, Raven - DSH

Due to recent budget cuts and the rising cost of electricity, gas and oil, as well as current market conditions, the Light at the End of the Tunnel has been turned off. We apologize for the inconvenience

Offline NoDogNow

• Grand Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2007, 05:11:45 am »
I grew up with little dogs, because Mom isn't a Big Dog person. (Max, my 25 lb. Eskie fur-brother, is the biggest dog she's ever kept longer than 6 months. (If your husband hates hair, DON'T get an Eskie. Max sheds as much as my best friend's Pyr ever did!) Mom's tolerantly fond of my sister's Big Paws, but would never truly love a BP.

So, in MY long experience, since I'm middle aged now:

If your hubby is a total hair hater, a short coat dachshund or a doxie mix may be your answer. Rusty was a doxie/Boston mix and he was just a TANK--he'd go under, over, around or thru anything if it meant kisses and lovies. We had to get a dog door because he kept breaking out the screen in the bottom of the storm door. It didn't matter where we went or what we did, Rusty was right there, keeping up.

Spotty was a farm-bred, 10-pound rat terrier mix, and by far them most velcro-y dog we ever had. If he wasn't in your lap, he was right behind your left ankle--unless, of course, he was out hunting squirrels or mice. Also very short haired. I used to lay out on a blanket under the willow tree and read to him--a whole stack of library books at a time, while he just cuddled under my chin. He was my FIRST dog--Dad got him while Mom was pregnant with my brother, so that when the baby arrived, I had someone to play with--because Tiny (a perfectly snotty long haired Chi) was very DEFINITELY my mother's dog, and didn't care to play with 3-year-old me. (In fact, Tiny never cared to play with anybody but my mother. None of my mother's chi's ever liked any of us kids, that I remember. The terriers, yes; chi's and chi-mixes, never.) Acutal rat terriers are kind of rare these days, but if you live in a more rural area, you're more likely to find one than if you live in a more urban one.

Scotties are great dogs, lots of fun and energy, but very kid friendly. Chip, Dale, and Underdog (hey! we were LITTLE!) were all hugely affectionate and funny, and we more than glad to take a nap with you on the couch or under the blanket tent. Not overly hairy dogs, but they do shed some.

My great aunt and uncle had Schnauzers that they kept close clipped all over--sometimes giants, sometimes standards, sometimes minis, sometimes all three--and all us kids adored them. They don't shed worth beans if they're close clipped, bond really closely to their people, and will bark/alarm at a loud f**t, much less a burglar; but none them was ever anything but kissy-faced with kids. They usually had two or three dogs at a time, and they were by far the most popular dogs in the neighborhood; a dozen families got schauzers over the years, and I never heard of a single dog bite.

Cocker spaniels and cocker mixes are NOT good with kids, at least not any of them that I've ever known. They're bloody-minded, pain resistant little fiends; Walt Disney's Lady is NOT a fair example! Close to half the bitten kids I've known have been bitten by cockers--and most of the others have been bitten by chi's. I've bitten by both, more than once. If it's small, has feathery legs and long, wavy haired ears, run like mad the other direction!

Unless it's a solid red-brown and slobbery--Sussex spaniels are AWESOME kid dogs. Sussies have longer hair and do shed some, but you can keep them in a hunting clip, with their hair quite short. But then, a Sussie isn't a small dog like most cockers. Sussies are short dogs--they're like basset hounds, deliberately bred with short legs. They generally run around 40 or 50 lbs as adults, so they're not really pack-aroundable, but they'll follow anywhere with very little training, because they're naturally close hunters; it plays into their instincts.

And of course, there ARE basset hounds. My aunt's next door neighbor has had bassets for 30 years, and the only complaint I've ever heard about them is that the neighbor doesn't have puppies often enough--every other year or two at most, just enough to keep friends and family in puppies. Short, not small; how could anybody resist a short-legged, 65-lb Big Paw with short hair?

As for helping your daughter learn about dogs--maybe the two of you, or she and her dad could start by going online to the Yahoo Pets site--looking at pictures of dogs, etc. After you've done a some online research, then go to the library and get more detailed info before you go to the shelter or call a breed rescue.

The only thing about going to the shelter is that an overwhelming percentage of the dogs there are going to be either pit bull mixes, shepherd mixes or labrador mixes. All short haired, true, but not really a 'smaller' dog.

ALTHOUGH: I love pit bulls!! I've known a lot of them over the years, and I've never once been even growled at, much less bitten. Yes, they do take more training and socializing than some other breeds because of their very, very boisterous personalities and their strength, but every one I've ever met as been as friendly as a flea. In my experience, I'd take a chance on a pit bull I found in a shelter much quicker than I would a cocker spaniel or a chiahuahua in the cage next to him.  But that's just my experience.
Sheryl, Dogless and sad

Offline Cazzie

• Veteran Dog Chomper
  • Slave to Amba
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2007, 01:03:15 pm »
i have to agree with kathryn!! A Boston terrier i have had them for 17 years and they are awesum little guys!!! great with Kids!!
Proudly owned by Amba - Boston terrier
                 Merlin - Exotic Short hair cat
                 Harley - Ragdoll cat
RIP...Stormy & Balki - my Newfoundland Angels

Offline AltDeutsche

• Big Paws-a-holic
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 24, 2007, 02:41:18 pm »
I agree too with going to a pound or a rescue. Look at petfinder.com for some in your local area. I would also say to go with a short hair so it is less for upkeep. I have a yorkie and even though he is 12lbs I wouldn't buy one for my kids. I just love the Terriers though.
Danielle
Mace Sable Coated GSD 02/08
Rex Sable Coated GSD 02/08

Offline RMSChloe

• Big Paws-a-holic
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 24, 2007, 02:41:41 pm »
well, i have to say i dont like to be "racist" about certain breeds, but i wouldnt go with a pit. just because of the fact that they do take a lot more time than some other dogs... and i dont know about where you live but where i am if you have any dogs that are on the "more dangerous" list, which are dogs that are "more prone to attack" (to me that means dogs that have a bad rep already) your homeowners insurance goes up. that inclueds dogs like pit bulls, rotties, etc. or any dog with any trace of those breeds in them, such as a lab/rottie mix... i know its dumb, but i just wanted to put that out there.
Shes not a dog... shes a Great Dane!

Offline horsepoor21

• BPO Fanatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 24, 2007, 04:59:30 pm »
Miniature Schnauzer !!!! Our girl Kylie is awesome with the kids ! And she spent her first year in a non-kid home so it was a major change for her to move in with us ! LOL She's smart , loyal , and always ready to do whatever we feel like doing , wheather it's just lying around or going hiking . I groom Ky myself once a month so I don't have to pay the grooming fees but they're not too bad , like $35 . I've had schnauzers all my life and would never be without one  :-*
-Amy
Moose-Border Collie/Newfoundland rescue
Allie-Newfoundland
Spook-Newfoundland
Whiskey-Arabian
Wolverine-Cockatiel
Polly&Rainbow-Lovebirds (with 3 babies!)
Crush-Painted Turtle

"Every boy should have two things:
 A dog, and a mother willing to let him have one"