Author Topic: Boy, do I need your help  (Read 3728 times)

Offline Ouch

• Full Fledged Chewer
  • Sadie
    • View Profile
Boy, do I need your help
« on: July 23, 2007, 09:56:58 pm »
Hello everyone, I've been reading posts on the Newfie forum for the past couple of days and have learned so much.  A bit about our new Miss Sadie.

I adopted her last Thursday, she's a two yr old, this is her 3rd home (and her last), she's crate trained (to the extreme, which is why is thought she was being somewhat abused and I took her), took her straight to the vet and then to the groomers.  My shoulder is about to collapse and I've only cried twice and have refrained from beating my head against the wall.  (I'm kinda kidding)  Sadie is one of the sweetest pups I've ever come across and this is my problem not hers you understand.  I didn't realize how very spoiled my springer is and confrontations abound.  And, my old cocker is scared to death of her, she goes from under the table to under the bed.  Both dogs wait to go to the door to see if she's on a lead or not before going outside.  Now all she wants to do is play but "patience" is the word of the month around this house.  Now I'm stubborn, and I will see this thru and things are getting better believe me, but I'll be the first to ask for help.  So any suggestions you can give me to help me merge sweet, rambunctious Sadie with old arthritic Copper and spoiled and stubborn Emmitt, not to mention the cattle in the pasture by the house, will be greatly appreciated. *laugh'n*  the next obedience classes started yesterday, I  hope I can get Sadie in, or perhaps I should get Emmitt in for doggy socialization?.  Sadie is being spayed today laproscopicall y and I won't get her back until tomorrow.

PS .. OnryHenry the 17 yr old cat can still climb and dislodge himself from trees we found.  The vet doesn't do shoulder x-rays on humans no matter how much you whine.

To finish .. all I can say is Ouch
Copper, 12 yr old American Cocker
Emmitt, 7 yr old English Springer Spaniel
Sadie, 2 yr old Newfie
OnryHenry, 17 yr old King Feline of KY

Offline Duramax

• Majestic Member
    • View Profile
Re: Boy, do I need your help
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2007, 11:22:08 pm »
well to start of with i would like to give you a 'good for you' for adopting :D and i want you to know that my mother and father recently adopted a dog also and they, coincidently, have 2 very old very grumpy dogs also. and i want you to know that just over time every thing will smoothe out. training and every thign else is always a BIG plus, but even if you dont (usualy) the pieces will fall into place, it just takes time, sometimes quite a while. in this case sadie may have no pack social skills and that may be part' of the reason that emmit is so annoyed with her.
of your dogs who is the pack leader?
ive also got three dogs like you do, and max is the leader ::) he gets very anoyed when either of the other two dogs get in his face even if it's friendly or sends off insulting messages via body language . what do her ears and tail look like when she is confronting the other two? i guess what im trying to figure out is if it realy is emmit who is being unacceptable or if it is saddie who is not following the pack rules. does she do anything specific to trigger emmit? even something little and seemingly innocent? im trying to get a better idea of how this goes down. watch their body language for me and post what you see when there's a confrontation.
cooper reminds me of my moms dog sparky, when the new one was brought home from the shelter he knew she was a young one and was terrified that she would be too rowdy around him. time is what had the biggest impact on sparky, he eventualy realised that she wouldnt maul him and that if she did get too rowdy all he had to do what give her a warning nip and she comply emediatly, so i would just give coop more time, but dont baby him either, or he will think that you support his being afraid and will encourage the behavior. i love observing pack behavior, it's realy a very neat thing :D
Christina
mother of:
2 babies
2 great danes -Duramax
              -boog

"Some days you're the dog; some days you're the hydrant." -Unknown

Offline jabear

• Wizard of Wiggling & Waggling
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2007, 11:59:06 am »
I agree with the advice given and kudos on resuing such an adorable girl. Hang in there and she'll learn that she is not the boss. You might even want to consider taking her out with you so she can get some of her energy out without annoying the other doggies.
Hugs,
Jaime
  Mom to one handsome black Bear.

Offline Ouch

• Full Fledged Chewer
  • Sadie
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2007, 01:53:00 am »
Thank you THANK YOU !   I did notice Emmitt when he was "worked up" that his head was high and his ears were back, tail straight back (what little there is of it) and he was dead on staring at Sadie as he approached her (my husband said "I think he's stalking her.") .. the easy easy did it by the second day, he just kept at it especially when my back was turned.  Sadie literally runs away when the commotion begins.  We did get thru feeding time tonight with no probs but my husband had fixed them up while we were out walking and fed Sadie in the kitchen garage while my other two feed out on the back deck.

I love the suggestion to get them all out in the yard and try to get them to relax together.  Tomorrow morning after a good walk while it's cool we'll practice that on the front deck.

I picked up Sadie this afternoon after her surgery and she did excellent and is listening to me about licking the wound so far.  She's to remain calm and walk on a lead for the next 10 days (crossing fingers on the calm part).  I'm keeping her on a lead except when I try to work off some energy chasing a KONG because of the cattle next door so that's not a problem.

I'm almost afraid to pet and talk to one right now afraid I'll get Emmitt worked up .. it's going too good.

I so appreciate you help ! 
Sadie, 2 yr old Newfie

Offline cynsheis

• Ankle Biter
  • KD baby
    • View Profile
    • KD the Cane Corso
« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2007, 04:26:08 am »
All the adivce so far sounds...sound  ;)

We also have an old kitty, he has up to this point taken to all the critters who have passed through our doors. He is tired now and wont even try to be nice to KD (5 months old, and the reason I'm here)

KD has learned that the cat is an ouchie waiting to happen!

Good luck!

cyn
KD - Cane Corso
Razz - Melinois mix
Lobo - Little paw chichi

Offline newfie owner

• Full Fledged Chewer
  • molly our furry baby xxx
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2007, 11:48:46 pm »
just popped in to say hi,
   we also have an old cat aswell as 3 kittens and 2 lhasa apso's(m and f)our molly(pup) likes to play and torment them all at the moment,luckily she is learning that she doesn't rule the roost.

good luck
 debi and ste
owners of
molly-6 month old newfie pup aswell as other pets

Offline Ouch

• Full Fledged Chewer
  • Sadie
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2007, 06:09:05 am »
We're doing better every day .. now though the true puppy has come out, CHEWING .. so far today I've lost an antique butter paddle, almost the remote for the surround sound system, a waste can and I interrupted a tug of war with the bedspread.  Two full days without an altercation between doggys. (knocking on wood) I do feel as though I've adopted a toddler though.  Tomorrow I put up all the valuable books from the bookshelves and try to regress 30 years to baby proofing the house.  The only way to get sleep was to put the crate in our bedroom and only crate her when I go to bed or she'll bark till I come in there.  Sadie's stitches come out on the 6th and then I'm gonna run and play her till she drops !!  I've not seen the cat in two days but my husband goes to the basement every morning and evening to feed and water OnryHenry and assures me he's loving the guilt turkey I'm buying for him.  BUT -- I'm losing weight with all this walking the dog stuff.  (Whew, that silver lining was slow in being found tonight)  OUCH !
Sadie, 2 yr old Newfie