Author Topic: Couldnt bring Chloe home tonight...  (Read 6862 times)

Offline RMSChloe

• Big Paws-a-holic
    • View Profile
Couldnt bring Chloe home tonight...
« on: July 24, 2007, 10:04:27 am »
when we got to the vet tonight for visitation we decided not to bring her home. i broke down balling my eyes out when i got there. i couldnt hold it in any longer. she was still laying around and not sitting up yet, and she was crying a lot... it wasnt a "omg im in soooo much pain" cry... it was "i want to get up and play but its hurts to" plus when they took her temp when we were there it was 103.. so she had a little bit of a fever, and we didnt want to take the chance of it going back up again when we got home and just having to bring her back. when we were there we saw the other great dane pup that came in with HOD. shes a month younger, and adorable. her lips are longer and her ears are bigger than our girls, and shes a tan brindle, the opposite of our girl. she was the spitting image of Chloe though a month ago when she first got it. she just layed there in space shaking, hooked to an IV. i felt so bad because i know what these people are going to have to go through.. i just dont know what im going to do when i cant afford the bills anymore. these $500 bills every week or two are killing us... but i dont want to put her down, because when she does feel good, shes got a great quality of life, and i dont want to take that away from her, plus this could all end for her in a few months, or even weeks... i dont know what to do anymore! all i can do is cry
Shes not a dog... shes a Great Dane!

bigdogs@5501

Re: Couldnt bring Chloe home tonight...
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2007, 10:14:30 am »
ok that is tough. I know that my vet is as interested in the health of the dog as well as helping the owner- Can you talk to your vet- he knows how much you have already paid- maybe he can help you some how- maybe even send the poor little dear home on the IV. I had never even heard of HOD and certainly havent had to go thru it- I am so sorry that this has invaded yours and Chloes life. I am praying for you- maybe she will get thru this a bit quicker.

Offline zchic

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
    • Tisha's Barkin' Bodega
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2007, 10:33:01 am »
Here is a good description of HOD on a dane rescue site for anyone not familiar with it:
http://www.ohiodanerescue.com/medical/hypertrophicosteodystrophy.htm
-Jodi
Mom to:
Thorn- 8 year old fawn male dane
Morgayne- Wolfhound pup
Gracie- Merelequin (deaf) dane pup

1996-2007
Tisha...my best friend, I miss you girl.

Offline GoldenPyrs

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2007, 11:37:25 am »
I'm so sorry that you couldn't bring her home tonight.  It's so hard when any of our babies are sick, but you are doing a great job of caring for her and I'm sure that she knows how much you love her!  Take care of yourself too tonight, get as much rest as you can, and please keep us posted.  I'm praying for little Chloe, too.  Please give her kisses from all of us.   :-*  :-*
Marie

And my pups:
Daisy a 9 y/o Golden/Lab mix
Sammy a 6-7(?) y/o Great Pyrenees adopted 3/07
Cassie a 3 y/o Pyr/Mystery Snuggle Bunny mix adopted 2/07

My angel girls waiting at the Bridge:
Cara 1989-2001 Great Pyrenees
Sally ? - 1993 Dobie(rescued '92)
Halley 2002-2006 Great Pyrenees

Offline Ali

• BPO Fanatic
  • My girls!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2007, 08:25:29 pm »
Oh my god - that is heart breaking. Oh, I am so sorry. What is the vet recommending at this point? Is he giving you any kind of prognosis for Chloe? The link to HOD earlier in the thread was helpful for me. I would be devastated, though. I know that I personally couldn't afford vet bills like that more than once or twice, without putting it on a credit card. Aw, Chloe. Just get better, baby, ok?
Ali
mom of 4 humans AND
Tani (TAH-nee or rhymes with "Bonnie")- Aussie/Pittie?Boxer?Mutt!
Kai - Aussie/Dobie
Kenji - big ol' black cat
Mika and Nishi - kitty sisters, foster failures!
Tasia Ladysnake - ball python

Offline RMSChloe

• Big Paws-a-holic
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2007, 04:55:04 am »
we are actually going to pick her up tonight... i talked to my vet about what he thought her outcome would be, he told me its really so early to tell, and i let him know i just want to do whats going to be best for her. he told me that he wouldnt give up on her yet, its still early and shes got a chance

marypyrs

« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2007, 05:45:56 am »
I realize that I'm grasping at straws here. http://www.doglogic.com/hod.htm You've most likely read this already. But = it just breaks my heart when a pup is sick. Chloe is such a sweet and beautiful girl. You're in my thoughts and prayers. Hugs and love to you all.
Jane

Offline zchic

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
    • Tisha's Barkin' Bodega
« Reply #7 on: July 25, 2007, 07:02:18 am »
I realize that I'm grasping at straws here. http://www.doglogic.com/hod.htm You've most likely read this already. But = it just breaks my heart when a pup is sick. Chloe is such a sweet and beautiful girl. You're in my thoughts and prayers. Hugs and love to you all.
Jane

WOW...that is a super interesting article and deffinatly worth the tests etc. if HOD is suspected in a pup...I bookmarked it for future refference. Thanks for posting it.
-Jodi
Mom to:
Thorn- 8 year old fawn male dane
Morgayne- Wolfhound pup
Gracie- Merelequin (deaf) dane pup

1996-2007
Tisha...my best friend, I miss you girl.

Offline GoldenPyrs

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 25, 2007, 07:30:51 am »
Jane

WOW...that is a super interesting article and deffinatly worth the tests etc. if HOD is suspected in a pup...I bookmarked it for future refference. Thanks for posting it.

Jane, I just bookmarked it, too.  Thanks so much for finding and posting it.  I hope that can help little Chloe!
Marie

And my pups:

Offline RMSChloe

• Big Paws-a-holic
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 25, 2007, 02:01:13 pm »
yeah i did read that article when she first got it... its most def HOD. 3 vets have told me this now. theres been 2 sets of x rays and 2 sets of bloodwork a month apart to make sure nothing had changed, and anything else that might be suspicious. she is on atibiotics right now for some diarrhea but other than that shes on rimadyl and tramadol. shes doing great on them, aside from her relapse early this week. i just hope that was the worst of it and we can get on to getting better and being a puppy. by the way i brought her home last night. she looks great and actually took a few steps today!

Offline RMSChloe

• Big Paws-a-holic
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 26, 2007, 04:09:50 am »
Everything crossed, shes still doing well today! we went to Petsmart and she rode around in the cart making cute faces at everyone and enticing them to pet her... typical! two little boys ran up to her and wrapped their arms around her and she wagged her tail and licked and licked and licked their little faces. they loved her and didnt want to leave. about linda arndt, i have written to her and i did hear back. we chatted a little and she asks how chloe is here and there and keeps up on her.

bigdogs@5501

« Reply #11 on: July 26, 2007, 04:13:03 am »
I just want you to know that I would love to hug your little one- It just breaks my heart anytime any of the pups are sick or injured. I am pitiful because with my kids, they had to have broken bones or pouring blood before I would get worked up. With the dogs, I just lose it when something is wrong. I was sitting on the floor in tears holding Zoey before her emergency surgery. Chloe is a beautiful little girl and she is in my prayers. Once she gets past this, hopefully she will be able to run and play and be a Dane.

Offline RMSChloe

• Big Paws-a-holic
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 26, 2007, 04:22:49 am »
yeah i just want it to all be over with so she can have a regular life and be a regular pup. before she got this she was just always soooo well behaved, she slept through the night the first night we had her, she crate trained without ever crying for being in it, was always sooooo great with the kids like my 1yr 8month old neice, my 1yr old nephew, etc. she learned sooo many tricks so fast, and just always wanted to love you, and all she wanted was love in return... it just sucks becuase she was always so good and she had to deal with this

Offline GoldenPyrs

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 26, 2007, 07:24:19 am »
she learned sooo many tricks so fast, and just always wanted to love you, and all she wanted was love in return... it just sucks becuase she was always so good and she had to deal with this

It does seem so very unfair that she's having to go through all of this, doesn't it?   :(  It's so hard to know why these things happen, but just keep on loving her b/c I just know that it means the world to her.  She sounds like such a sweet girl, I'm sure she enjoyed the trip out today so much.  Please give her kisses for me and she's in my prayers, too.   :-*
Marie

And my pups:

Offline RMSChloe

• Big Paws-a-holic
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 26, 2007, 03:01:16 pm »
shes soooo damn spoild. right now shes laying in bed next to me eating her breakfast... and getting it all over in my bed, buuuut i dont care... i have to say, its cute when we go to bring her home from the vets. the last time we picked her up we could hear everyone in the back room saying good-bye to her.. we heard a lot of "bye honey i hope you feel better! gimmie a kiss!" "awww dont go!!! im gonna miss you!!" and one girl even said "noooo come home with me!!! i wanna keep you!!!!" its so cute that she gets all that attention. atleast i know shes not being neglected, they cant resist her enough to do that!!!