Author Topic: Why breed bans don't work  (Read 3512 times)

GYPSY JAZMINE

Offline Cymbaline

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
Re: Why breed bans don't work
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2005, 02:33:08 pm »
The only thing BSL laws do is prevent law biding citizens from owning a great dog.

Offline RedyreRottweilers

• Leader of the Pack
    • View Profile
    • Redyre Rottweilers
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2005, 02:40:05 pm »
Local governments could practically end ALL dog related issues in their communities by doing several things:

1) ACTIVELY encourage Spay/Neuter by offering free (COMPLETELY FREE) S/N clinics twice per year. Local veterinarians could be encouraged to participate by having free advertising on local TV and Radio.

2) ACTIVELY discourage free roaming dogs by public education, and RIGOROUS enforcement of non breed specific leash laws. Further encourage proper confinement of dogs by an escalating fee schedule. 1st offense, 50 bucks, and requirement of microchipping. Anyone can make a mistake. Second offense within 36 mos of first, $250.00 fine, 8 hours community service (at the local shelter), required attendance to a responsible dog ownership 1 day seminar. 3rd offense within 36 mos of 1st, $500 fine, dog cannot be reclaimed.

3) Make using a dog as a threat or a weapon the same as using a WEAPON as a threat or a weapon.

4) Make it a criminal offense to allow any dog to injure a person or another animal while running at large.

If these 4 simple things were implemented in each community, irresponsible ownership would decrease, and free running dogs would practically disappear.

All fine monies should go to the free S/N and education campaigns.

Redyre Rottweilers
redyre@carolina.rr.com
No part of this message may be forwarded without my permission.

GYPSY JAZMINE

« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2005, 02:46:20 pm »
Local governments could practically end ALL dog related issues in their communities by doing several things:

1) ACTIVELY encourage Spay/Neuter by offering free (COMPLETELY FREE) S/N clinics twice per year. Local veterinarians could be encouraged to participate by having free advertising on local TV and Radio.

2) ACTIVELY discourage free roaming dogs by public education, and RIGOROUS enforcement of non breed specific leash laws. Further encourage proper confinement of dogs by an escalating fee schedule. 1st offense, 50 bucks, and requirement of microchipping. Anyone can make a mistake. Second offense within 36 mos of first, $250.00 fine, 8 hours community service (at the local shelter), required attendance to a responsible dog ownership 1 day seminar. 3rd offense within 36 mos of 1st, $500 fine, dog cannot be reclaimed.

3) Make using a dog as a threat or a weapon the same as using a WEAPON as a threat or a weapon.

4) Make it a criminal offense to allow any dog to injure a person or another animal while running at large.

If these 4 simple things were implemented in each community, irresponsible ownership would decrease, and free running dogs would practically disappear.

All fine monies should go to the free S/N and education campaigns.

Here here Red!!!!!!!!!!....All of that is DOABLE too!!!...& it all makes a h*ll of alot more sense than the quick fix of breed banning!!!

Offline Rachel

• BPO Guru
  • Sophie
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2005, 02:48:08 pm »

I agree 100%!!
Rachel and Sophie

My new venture...
www.seasidequi lts.etsy.com

My blog for Sophie, crafting, and life in general
www.seasidequi lts.com/blog

Offline Saintgirl

• Big Paws-a-holic
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2005, 03:37:15 pm »
There couldn't possibly be a better idea!!!!
Leah, Hutch, and Abbey

Offline RedyreRottweilers

• Leader of the Pack
    • View Profile
    • Redyre Rottweilers
« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2005, 07:27:02 pm »
Maybe we should all be checking into our local dog ordinances, and perhaps getting involved with this simple solution.

:D

You could make a big difference in your community.
Redyre Rottweilers
redyre@carolina.rr.com
No part of this message may be forwarded without my permission.

Offline mastiffmommy

• Chief "All Knowing"
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 20, 2005, 08:06:29 pm »
I really like the 4 ideas Red. Concidering 5 milj cats and dogs are put to sleep in this country every year, there is a lot to be said and done when it comes to education, roaming dogs, people with mix breeds (or pure bred dogs for that matter who are not planning on breeding) that dont alter their dogs.

Marit
what the lion is to a cat, the mastiff is to a dog

GYPSY JAZMINE

« Reply #8 on: July 21, 2005, 12:35:59 am »
I've already had words with "the powers that be" here in my town on breed bans..namely Pits..I live in a very small town...No gang element here or dog fighting rings...It makes no sense at all!!

Offline Saintgirl

• Big Paws-a-holic
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 21, 2005, 04:01:05 am »
Here in Nova Scotia there have already been a couple of counties that have banned rotties and pits. When Ontario decided to ban pits and New Brunswick decided that they would try to follow suit (luckily this did not go through) there was many here in Halifax who decided to contact our municipality and talk to them about how this is not a good idea before talks about bans here could begin. Our municipality has so far decided to not try this ridiculous ban, but we are all on guard here for it. Unfortunatley when it comes to the dogs here it is very difficult to get our council representives to take us seriously. After several weeks of hounding my own council member he finally decided to make an appearance at our off leash dog park to watch how the dogs interacted and how dogs of all breeds can get along. We have several pits that come to our park, and of course they were all on perfect behaviour! Hopefully if this ever becomes a major concern here we already have our feet and paws in the door with our council, and maybe they will take our suggestions more seriously.
Leah, Hutch, and Abbey

GYPSY JAZMINE

« Reply #10 on: July 22, 2005, 01:29:10 am »
WOOF...BUMP... WOOF....BUMP.. .WOOF! :)