Author Topic: Eye infection?  (Read 4452 times)

Offline Sillygoose

• Top Doggie Dog
  • I love my dog!
    • View Profile
Eye infection?
« on: July 25, 2007, 08:19:29 pm »
Hello, does anyone know what an eye infection looks like in a dog. I've noticed Tripper has a bit of discharge out the corner of his right eye and it seems red. This morning though it even seemed a litte swollen but I can't get a good look at it because he's such a baby and screams and wiggles all over the place when I try and hold him. (This will great for the show ring) LOL Any one know what this could be> should I have him off to teh vet or is there something I can at home?

Offline heidismom

• Full Fledged Chewer
    • View Profile
Re: Eye infection?
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2007, 08:27:40 pm »
Heidi had a little discharge and redness in her right eye a few months back, i did take her to the vet and they decided in that case it was probably a little infection, they gave me some ointment to put in her eye (picture how fun that is), so that was fine, BUT they did say it could have been other things like a scratch on her cornea (ouch)  so i would probably get him in sooner rather than later if it doesn't clear up. 

Offline heidismom

• Full Fledged Chewer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2007, 08:34:36 pm »
Quote from: EastJenn 

I hope it is something easily remidied for Tripper as well!
[/quote
you must be superwoman if putting ointment in their eyes is easy for you! oh great guru of wiggly doggies, tell me your secrets......

Offline Sillygoose

• Top Doggie Dog
  • I love my dog!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2007, 09:27:44 pm »
Oh great this is what I have to look forward to? Tripper is such a baby as it is. You can't wet him look at his teeth hold his head without him thinking you're killing him. This will be a bunch of fun I'm sure. Anyway I got an appointement for this evening to have him seen by the vet.Lets hope it's my imagination and there is nothing wrong and I won't have to fight with him.

bigdogs@5501

« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2007, 04:16:53 am »
Poor Tripper. I hope that all is going to be ok. I am thinking that you are going to be coming home with some sort of eye ointment. Now if you can just have someone in the family ready with the camera so when you are putting the ointment in the eye. We all need to be entertained. Give Tripper hugs and kisses from his BPO family.

Offline GoldenPyrs

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2007, 06:40:58 am »
How did Tripper's appointment go?  Please let us know if you're not too tired from wrestling eye meds into that gorgeous puppy!   ;) ;D   Oh and yes, pics please?
Marie

And my pups:
Daisy a 9 y/o Golden/Lab mix
Sammy a 6-7(?) y/o Great Pyrenees adopted 3/07
Cassie a 3 y/o Pyr/Mystery Snuggle Bunny mix adopted 2/07

My angel girls waiting at the Bridge:
Cara 1989-2001 Great Pyrenees
Sally ? - 1993 Dobie(rescued '92)
Halley 2002-2006 Great Pyrenees

Offline Sillygoose

• Top Doggie Dog
  • I love my dog!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2007, 04:27:18 pm »
I did in fact come home with an ointement and pills for diareha (sp). He had wet poop yesterday morning so when the vet asked about his poop I told her about it and she gave me pills for that too. So now I have to fight a screaming pup to but these drops in BOTH eyes. (FOr prevention of the unaffected eye) and trick him into taking the pills twice a day. Oh what fun. I ill surely get the camaera out for this. I tries last night and this AM. I truly need help holding him because he's not so little anymore. I'll post some pics over the weekend.

Offline GoldenPyrs

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 26, 2007, 08:37:51 pm »
Oh, dear.  It does sound like you had a busy evening!  I just bet that this isn't the kind of attention that Tripper likes, is it?  You've probably already tried this, but will he take the pill if it's hidden in a little bite of cheese, meat, peanut butter or another yummy thing?  My friend's dogs were each put on multiple meds this week and it was a zoo.  She bought those little edible pill packets that they sell at the vet and now the dogs are just swallowing the pills (tucked into the packets) like treats.  I don't know if that'll work for Tripper, though.  I really sympathize with the eye thing!  Cassie needs drops occasionally for eye irritation due to allergies.  The only way we can get them in is to have my hubby hold her up high with his arms under her like a forklift (so she has no traction and can't get away) and I have to hold her head still and get the drops into her eyes (nope, the nose doesn't count...).   ;)  ;D  ;D Otherwise it's like trying to put eye drops in a Tazmanian Devil. LOL!  Yep, it really looks goofy, but it the only thing that's worked so far for Miss Cassafras.  Well, it works only if you have someone around that can lift 80# of squirming doggy!  ;D  ::)

I hope that something makes it easier on you two and I can't wait to see pics of that little guy!   :-*
Marie

And my pups:
Daisy a 9 y/o Golden/Lab mix
Sammy a 6-7(?) y/o Great Pyrenees adopted 3/07
Cassie a 3 y/o Pyr/Mystery Snuggle Bunny mix adopted 2/07

My angel girls waiting at the Bridge:
Cara 1989-2001 Great Pyrenees
Sally ? - 1993 Dobie(rescued '92)
Halley 2002-2006 Great Pyrenees

Offline heidismom

• Full Fledged Chewer
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 26, 2007, 08:39:31 pm »
oh my goodness, diarrhea AND ointment in both eyes?  you are having a super week!  my sympathies and good luck. at least it's "easily" fixable (provided you can get the drops in his eyes and the pills down his throat) i wish i had thought to get the camera out for this stuff with heidi, SOMEONE might have gotten some fun out of it that way!

Offline Duramax

• Majestic Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 27, 2007, 06:07:55 am »
awww darn, poor guy, tell him i said to hang in there.
Christina
mother of:
2 babies
2 great danes -Duramax
              -boog

"Some days you're the dog; some days you're the hydrant." -Unknown

Offline CrazyLoveRosie

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 28, 2007, 04:52:06 pm »
We have to apply eye drops on both of Rosie's eyes too (for allergies) and we make a habit of giving her a treat afterwards. She's got the hang of getting a treat after the 'torture', so she's not quite as squirmy when we apply it.
Rosie - Newfoundland