Author Topic: Parvo going around?  (Read 3510 times)

Lyn

Parvo going around?
« on: July 31, 2007, 08:04:57 pm »
I got a call from the receptionist at my vet's office telling me that the day I had Lola in for her heartworm test that there was a dog that came in that has tested positive for parvo. :o I do remember the dog a Bassett Hound, because it vomitted on the entryway carpet. She said they have 3 other dogs that were there that day that have contracted parvo apparently from this dog.

Lola has all her puppy shots, plus she got a booster along with her rabies shot the same day. Bubba also got a booster shot plus rabies on July 28th. But now I'm worried. :(

Does anyone know if this is a new strain? I know they are recommending here that everyone re-vaccinate.
« Last Edit: July 31, 2007, 08:05:28 pm by Lyn »

Offline Sillygoose

• Top Doggie Dog
  • I love my dog!
    • View Profile
Re: Parvo going around?
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2007, 08:08:27 pm »
I have not yet heard of a new strain out , but I was told by my vet that it's running rampant this year for some reason. I think I would re vaccinate just in case.

Offline zchic

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
    • Tisha's Barkin' Bodega
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2007, 08:17:28 pm »
I haven't heard of any new strains...if you dogs were just vaccinated I would think they would be OK. I believe it can take about 2 weeks before it shows up if they are going to get it.
-Jodi
Mom to:
Thorn- 8 year old fawn male dane
Morgayne- Wolfhound pup
Gracie- Merelequin (deaf) dane pup

1996-2007
Tisha...my best friend, I miss you girl.

Offline Britz

• Leader of the Pack
  • Mommy to Ethan, Kiera and Zeus
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2007, 08:18:03 pm »
We also  HAve an  out  break  of it  here aswell  30+  dogs  got  put  down  at  are local shelter  because of it and when  we where at the veton saturday he said he had 5 dogs getting  treatment.  BUT  Are  VEt  told usif your  dog is vaccinated he should be ok. Zeus  will bve getting his  4th shots on  the 18th  for Parvo. IT is scary the sickness can  be transferred through poo and vomint to  tell if your dog  has it  watch his  poo's  they will be bloody etc..
~Britainy
~Zeus-Rotti

Offline People Whisperer

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2007, 08:33:53 pm »
If your dog is vaccinated already there is NO NEED to do it again. In fact there is a new vaccine protocol (finally!) that was issued this year saying that booster shots only supress your dog's immune system and not stimulate it. Ones your dog is immune to Parvo and Distemper is it for life!
"To once own a Great Pyrenees is to love and want one always."
Mary W. Crane

I don't suffer from insanity; I enjoy every minute of it :)

Offline Britz

• Leader of the Pack
  • Mommy to Ethan, Kiera and Zeus
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2007, 02:10:25 am »
I wouldn't think that you would need to revaccinate ... especially if the pups just received their boosters.  In most situations, the first vaccine SHOULD make the dog develop immunity.  Sometimes, for a variety of reasons, this doesn't happen ... but the booster should take care of it.  Does your vet titre?  If you're worried, you could always have them titred to check for the parvo immunity, and go from there.

Hang in there ... I'm sorry you guys are dealing with this.  There has been A LOT of parvo in our area recently as well. :( 

The  vet told me the same thing...  Nice thing about the break out is  Zeus next  Booster  will be half  off..
~Britainy
~Zeus-Rotti

Lyn

« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2007, 02:58:09 am »
I was just worried because Lola got her booster the same day she was in contact with the virus. She must have had immunity then because she's developed no symptoms and if it's a 2 weeks incubation period then she's for sure in the clear since her appointment was the beginning of July. Bubba must have enough immunity also since he got his booster on the 28th of July. He's obviously been in contact with Lola with he's showing no symptoms either.

Jen, I'm not sure if he does the titres. I'll definitely check into that next time I'm there.

When my son said the vet was on the phone my first thought was Bubba's heartworm test came back positive or something. So I was anxious before I even got on the phone. Way to scare the crap out of me. LOL