Author Topic: should I adopt a great pyrenees?  (Read 17918 times)

Offline Kermit

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
should I adopt a great pyrenees?
« on: July 21, 2005, 09:19:25 am »
Ok, lately as you all know it seems like there are so many great pyrenees dogs who need homes everywhere. When I see pictures of their smiling faces, something happens in my heart. But honestly, I know nothing about the breed except how beautiful they are and how huge they are. But I need to know what I would be getting myself into if I adopted one. It's not enough that I love dogs, I really want to know about this breed. I figured this would be a good place to start my research! So anyone who has a pyr, please tell me what it's like, and give me the good, the bad, and the ugly, because I want to make an educated decision about whether one would fit into my home. (Next month I am moving into a HUGE house with a big fenced yard!!!)
Thank you!!
 ;D

BabsT

Re: should I adopt a great pyrenees?
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2005, 09:31:47 am »
Pyr, are the mildest in temp of the LGD's I fee.  Even though I say mild there is a guarding instinct there and they will guard.  There are some lines of Pyr that are much more guardy than others.

They are very gentle with their family and what they know just like the other LGD's.  They are thick coated and come spring/summer OH BOY LOL  Fur storm season will hit.  I have a CAO and he isnt as thick coated as a Pyr but he is still pretty coated.  he is only 8 months old and the fur is EVERYWHERE LOL and he hasnt had his first official fur storm yet

They are a very devoted and loving breed but they are big barkers just like the rest of the LGD family so you really cant leave them out all the time because they will bark bark bark

Most LGD's are rather laid back dogs that dont eat much and kinda lazy...dont mistake the laziness for not paying attention, they can go from 0 -100 in the bat of an eye

I have a soft spot for all LGD's and I really dont think you will have a hard time adding a pyr into your family

I suggest joining some pyr groups and asking more specific questions

Good Luck

GYPSY JAZMINE

« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2005, 09:57:22 am »
Pyr, are the mildest in temp of the LGD's I fee.  Even though I say mild there is a guarding instinct there and they will guard.  There are some lines of Pyr that are much more guardy than others.

They are very gentle with their family and what they know just like the other LGD's.  They are thick coated and come spring/summer OH BOY LOL  Fur storm season will hit.  I have a CAO and he isnt as thick coated as a Pyr but he is still pretty coated.  he is only 8 months old and the fur is EVERYWHERE LOL and he hasnt had his first official fur storm yet

They are a very devoted and loving breed but they are big barkers just like the rest of the LGD family so you really cant leave them out all the time because they will bark bark bark

Most LGD's are rather laid back dogs that dont eat much and kinda lazy...dont mistake the laziness for not paying attention, they can go from 0 -100 in the bat of an eye

I have a soft spot for all LGD's and I really dont think you will have a hard time adding a pyr into your family

I suggest joining some pyr groups and asking more specific questions

Good Luck
Yep, Sammy's about as laid back as they come & smart as a whip too!!!...BUT, he is also stubborn & not an obidience based dog as per the breed...He knows all of hsi commands but whether or not he is going to obey is a different story all together!...The mosty important thing I think that needs to be stressed is that if you have a Pyr, you MUST have a fence or they can't be off leash...As the joke goes, "Can a Pyr be trusted off leash?..NO!...They dis-a-pyr!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!...& they tend not to come back!...Pretty soon you'll have your neighbors calling to say that your big white dog won't let them in their house, garage, barn, etc...They will expand their bounderies if left to roam...I was talking to a lady in Pyr rescue not long back & she said the # 1 reason they have Pyrs come into rescue is that "people think they will get the Pyr that can be boundery trained & it doesn't happen"...Now Sammy has a fierce gaurding instinct that comes form not only being a Pyr but also coming from a long line a actual working Pyrs...We keep padlocks on our gates so someone doesn't enter the yard unexpectantly. ..We also keep our doors locked even when we are home for the same reason...I have little doubt that Samson would bite if he thought his family was being threatened so I take measures to make sure that doesn't happen...Also, Pyrs have traditionally been bred to think independently as they were (& some still are) sheep gaurders which means they would be out in the field with the sheep not hanging around the house with the people...Back to the days when they lived in the mountains in Europe where they hail from they might have interaction with only the shepard that kept the flock they gaurded so they also have a tendency to pick one person as master...They often won't look at children in the house as master at all...More as litter mates & because they are obviously larger & stronger than the children they will try to assert theirselves as the higher status "dog"...It is my opinion that everyone in the house must participate in the care & training of a Pyr so he/she understands their place in the home...This is something we had soem trouble with regarding Samson & my 6 & 8 yr. old...With alot of hard work it has alleviated greatly!...Good luck with your descision!

Offline tanimara

• Big Paw Certified
  • Tanimara's Spirit Warrior "Warrior"
    • View Profile
    • Tanimara Great Pyrenees
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2005, 11:37:39 am »
I am Jackie Wood Tanimara Great Pyrenees and I am an educator for the breed.  I moderate an email list called Pyr Talk.  It is a list for people that use these dogs as guardians.  But it is also a great list to learn about their temperments and any problems you may have due to that character.  You are welcome to join us there is you like.  If nothing else you can read the archives and see what people have to deal with on a daily basis.

I admire your asking the questions.  It is so important that you understand the character and temperment of the breed.  I turned down a puppy sale this week in fact, due to the gentleman telling me, "I know all about dogs.  Ive raised and shown them for years".  He was not wiling to go the extra mile and learn about Pyrs and it's a must due to the difference in this breed from just any dog.

I would recommend you not only join several email lists for Pyrs, but also that you read this...
http://www.pyrenean-journal.com/patous.htm
It's a lengthy article but very interesting and will give you a good idea of what they are like.  Keep in mind, with 20 years of raising and breeding Pyrs under my belt, this story is not the exception.  This is in fact the exact traits you will see in your Pyr.

I do believe in laying it on the line as I hate nothing worse than someone having to give up their dog due to the dog being different than what they thought it would be or some other stupid excuse, like they are not committed enough, or responsible enough to take care of the dog they got.

Positive traits..
Great Family dogs
Very protective of family and livestock of any kind
Impressive visually and you will be the center of attention with a Pyr.
Very laid back and do well in the house - depending on the dog.
Very Intelligent and self thinkers.
Not large eaters after puppyhood.
Very, very trustworthy with people.
Longivity for a large breed with the average lifespan being 10 - 11 years, I've seen more than one that was 16.
Almost always good with cats and small dogs. (my barn cats sleep on my dogs backs in the winter).

Negative traits...
If they have an incorrect head or incorrect temperament (shy), they drool.
They are barkers, especially at night as they are nocturnal (as are predators).
They are diggers.  Bunker size holes!
They are roamers and can not be trusted off leash. (some bloodlines worse than others in this).
Heavy coated and shed year round but especially for a 3 week period in the spring called coat blowing.  Their coat sheds dirt very well, you will be amazed.
Food must be thawed on TOP of the refridgerator as they can reach your kitchen counters.
They can be escape artists.
Care must be taken for helping them stay cool in the summer and in hot climates
Health issues noted in the breed (small percentages actually) - hip dysplasia, bone cancer, bad hearts, dwarfism, and thyroid.  They are actually a pretty healthy breed.
The main thing you need to watch for in a rescue with no guarantee of health, is a dog that was not socialized as a pup and exhibits shyness in any form, and sound hips.
You can spin their hair for weaving clothing.

Over all, this breed is one that needs room.  They need some obedience training, if nothing else, due to their size but keep in mind, that they will evaluate every command you give them and if they feel it is not appropriate, they just wont do it.  The only time you will ever see a Pyr that bites people is one that is very shy, unsocialized, and fear bites, or a rare human agressive Pyr.  Unless of course they are guarding you.  They have such a sweet loving personality in fact, if they did go into guardian mode, it will just amaze you.  You would not believe some of the things Ive seen my dogs do, including taking on a courgar.  Remember, these dogs are very individualisti c.  Every one is different in pyrsonality.

If you have more questions, feel free to email me off list at tanimara@townsqr.com

Jackie
Jackie Wood
Owner/Breeder Tanimara Great Pyrenees

"A people without a history is like wind on the buffalo grass"
Crazy Horse - Oglala Sioux

GYPSY JAZMINE

« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2005, 11:41:40 am »
I am Jackie Wood Tanimara Great Pyrenees and I am an educator for the breed.  I moderate an email list called Pyr Talk.  It is a list for people that use these dogs as guardians.  But it is also a great list to learn about their temperments and any problems you may have due to that character.  You are welcome to join us there is you like.  If nothing else you can read the archives and see what people have to deal with on a daily basis.

I admire your asking the questions.  It is so important that you understand the character and temperment of the breed.  I turned down a puppy sale this week in fact, due to the gentleman telling me, "I know all about dogs.  Ive raised and shown them for years".  He was not wiling to go the extra mile and learn about Pyrs and it's a must due to the difference in this breed from just any dog.

I would recommend you not only join several email lists for Pyrs, but also that you read this...
http://www.pyrenean-journal.com/patous.htm
It's a lengthy article but very interesting and will give you a good idea of what they are like.  Keep in mind, with 20 years of raising and breeding Pyrs under my belt, this story is not the exception.  This is in fact the exact traits you will see in your Pyr.

I do believe in laying it on the line as I hate nothing worse than someone having to give up their dog due to the dog being different than what they thought it would be or some other stupid excuse, like they are not committed enough, or responsible enough to take care of the dog they got.

Positive traits..
Great Family dogs
Very protective of family and livestock of any kind
Impressive visually and you will be the center of attention with a Pyr.
Very laid back and do well in the house - depending on the dog.
Very Intelligent and self thinkers.
Not large eaters after puppyhood.
Very, very trustworthy with people.
Longivity for a large breed with the average lifespan being 10 - 11 years, I've seen more than one that was 16.
Almost always good with cats and small dogs. (my barn cats sleep on my dogs backs in the winter).

Negative traits...
If they have an incorrect head or incorrect temperament (shy), they drool.
They are barkers, especially at night as they are nocturnal (as are predators).
They are diggers.  Bunker size holes!
They are roamers and can not be trusted off leash. (some bloodlines worse than others in this).
Heavy coated and shed year round but especially for a 3 week period in the spring called coat blowing.  Their coat sheds dirt very well, you will be amazed.
Food must be thawed on TOP of the refridgerator as they can reach your kitchen counters.
They can be escape artists.
Care must be taken for helping them stay cool in the summer and in hot climates
Health issues noted in the breed (small percentages actually) - hip dysplasia, bone cancer, bad hearts, dwarfism, and thyroid.  They are actually a pretty healthy breed.
The main thing you need to watch for in a rescue with no guarantee of health, is a dog that was not socialized as a pup and exhibits shyness in any form, and sound hips.
You can spin their hair for weaving clothing.

Over all, this breed is one that needs room.  They need some obedience training, if nothing else, due to their size but keep in mind, that they will evaluate every command you give them and if they feel it is not appropriate, they just wont do it.  The only time you will ever see a Pyr that bites people is one that is very shy, unsocialized, and fear bites, or a rare human agressive Pyr.  Unless of course they are guarding you.  They have such a sweet loving personality in fact, if they did go into guardian mode, it will just amaze you.  You would not believe some of the things Ive seen my dogs do, including taking on a courgar.  Remember, these dogs are very individualisti c.  Every one is different in pyrsonality.

If you have more questions, feel free to email me off list at tanimara@townsqr.com

Jackie

Great info. Jackie!!!...& I need to ad...THAT'S MY LITTLE GIRL IN JACKIE'S PIC!!!!!!!!!!!!!....lol...She's the dog with her head on her brother...Ain't she sweet??!!!! ;D

Offline Nina

• Supreme Drooler
  • In Loving memory 12/30/05 8:30pm We miss you
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2005, 11:55:18 am »
She is beautiful  :)
Nina
Nina and Tim
Calgary, AB, Canada
Harley(Lab mix)
Dilbert(Pyr mix)At the bridge
Jolene (cat)

Offline Kermit

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2005, 11:57:10 am »
Wow. Thanks for all the info. They are truly stunning dogs. I've had Siberian Huskies before so I am all too familiar with white hair on everything I own, (years later I am still finding husky hair in my belongings), and they were also the type of dog to take off out the door if they got loose and choose not to hear me calling them back home! That does present a challenge which I will have to think about. My new house has a fence but I think it is only 4 or 5 ft high. Hmmm...

This just in, looks like I am going to go rescue this pyr mix called Ranger and let him live with me for a while, so I will see how it goes! I guess he's half Pyr so it will be interesting to see what his personality is like! I am excited and I'll definitely read that article and do more research!
Thanks for the help!!

Offline tanimara

• Big Paw Certified
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2005, 12:12:39 pm »
I knew that would wake you up Chelle...lol  She's doing great today by the way.  Dug herself a hole next to the water trough.  Gets in and goes wading, then lays down next to the cool water trough in her hole she dug... staying cool.... Jackie
Jackie Wood

Offline tanimara

• Big Paw Certified
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 21, 2005, 12:15:37 pm »
4 - 5 foot fence is sufficient unless the dog is a fence climber/jumper.  In that case it will not matter if the fence is 12' tall believe me.  If he is, you will need to put a hot wire around the top to start.  They are inexpensive and work great... Jackie
Jackie Wood

Offline GrumpyBunny

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 21, 2005, 12:17:47 pm »
This just in, looks like I am going to go rescue this pyr mix called Ranger and let him live with me for a while, so I will see how it goes! I guess he's half Pyr so it will be interesting to see what his personality is like! I am excited and I'll definitely read that article and do more research!
Thanks for the help!!

I loved that picture of Ranger, and I am jealous, jealous, jealous!   :D
*Founder of the Official Suspicious Chicken Fan Club*

GYPSY JAZMINE

« Reply #10 on: July 21, 2005, 12:28:42 pm »
I knew that would wake you up Chelle...lol  She's doing great today by the way.  Dug herself a hole next to the water trough.  Gets in and goes wading, then lays down next to the cool water trough in her hole she dug... staying cool.... Jackie
LOL Jackie!...It woke me RIGHT up! :D  I am laughing because you knew she'd pop right out at me!...lol...So, my little girl is as smart as a whip...I had no doubt...lol!...A girl needs to know waht to do to stay comfortable after all! ;D  Samson likes to dig too but not too much...He has one big hole where he is redirected to when he starts to dig elsewhere...It seems to work pretty well for him...He is very particular about his hole too...lol!

GYPSY JAZMINE

« Reply #11 on: July 21, 2005, 12:31:25 pm »
Wow. Thanks for all the info. They are truly stunning dogs. I've had Siberian Huskies before so I am all too familiar with white hair on everything I own, (years later I am still finding husky hair in my belongings), and they were also the type of dog to take off out the door if they got loose and choose not to hear me calling them back home! That does present a challenge which I will have to think about. My new house has a fence but I think it is only 4 or 5 ft high. Hmmm...

Thanks for the help!!
Great news about Ranger!!!...We will require lots of pics!!!...Also, we have a 4 ft. fence & Samson has never made any attempt to go over it...He doesn't even try to go over the baby gates in the house & I believe he could almsot step over them now...lol!

Offline Kermit

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 21, 2005, 10:40:12 pm »
Do they really run off any time they are not on a leash? Like even out the front door on the way to the car they have to be leashed? That's how my huskies were but I never pictured pyrs being like that for some reason.
Nigel pretty much has to be always leashed. Zoot has never needed a leash. I can walk with him through crowded streets and he'll stay by my side off-leash. I LOVE that.

GYPSY JAZMINE

« Reply #13 on: July 21, 2005, 10:59:46 pm »
Do they really run off any time they are not on a leash? Like even out the front door on the way to the car they have to be leashed? That's how my huskies were but I never pictured pyrs being like that for some reason.
Nigel pretty much has to be always leashed. Zoot has never needed a leash. I can walk with him through crowded streets and he'll stay by my side off-leash. I LOVE that.
The breed norm is that they shouldn't be off leash or uncontained at any time...The number 1 reason that Pyrs go to rescue according to the lady I talked to awhile back in Pyr rescue is that people think they will get the pyr that can be boundery trained...To answer your question...I wouldn't even chance taking them to the car off leash BUT Ranger is a mix I believe & he may have gotten the desirable trait of sticking near you from the other breed...You'd have to feel it out but I would never trust Samson off lead out of our fence...Just a note though...We had Sammy Whammy for over 6 months before we put up our fence...I stood outside with him on leash to potty in the middle of the night...in the sub zero temps of Iowa winter...in snowstorms so bad I couldn't see him at the end of his leash...& then in the rain & storms of Iowa springtime...I would do it all over again...in a heart beat with no second thoughts...He is well worth it...You have never loved a dog until you have loved a Pyr. :D

Offline mastiffmommy

• Chief "All Knowing"
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 22, 2005, 12:03:28 am »
Men are soooooo predictible, they all seem to do that, get the stuff out and pretend to start with what WE need them to do, then they go about their own stuff for weeks (which of course is a lot more important to get done) Only when there is absolutely nothing else they can do instead of what we asked them to do, will they actually do some work.

Gosh..... I have been looking at things Chris started many many times, wondered when it would go from taking the thing out to actually start the project itself. Ohhhh well I guess thats why we love them, we all know exactly what to expect hehe

Marit
what the lion is to a cat, the mastiff is to a dog