Author Topic: Dixie Darlin & Sugar Bear go to class.  (Read 4439 times)

Offline DixieSugarBear

• Golden Paws
    • View Profile
Dixie Darlin & Sugar Bear go to class.
« on: July 23, 2005, 08:16:13 am »
Dixie Darlin and Sugar are going to Petsmarts basic training class today.  Last week was the first class its was just an intro for owners. My granddaughter is going with me since we have two dogs to train.  This should be so much fun.  When I take then in to buy a treat I give myself at least an hour.  It is a new store in our area. At the grand opening day we were in there two hours with people in line to pet them and ask questions.  Let's hope they learn something today. 

Lisa
Lisa, owned by the following:
Sugar Bear - Great Pyrenees 4.5 yr.
Dixie Darlin - Great Pyrenees 4 yr.
Penny Lane - Great Pyrenees 2.5 yr.
Beauman - Great Pyrenees 14 months
Izzy - Great Pyrenees 14 month
Rosie - Great Pyrenees (at the bridge)

Icerotti

Re: Dixie Darlin & Sugar Bear go to class.
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2005, 08:29:41 am »
Good Luck with the class. We start the puppy one at petsmart Tuesday with Farley. I am taking my 5 year old so she can learn the ropes.

Offline DixieSugarBear

• Golden Paws
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2005, 09:03:45 am »
I think it is so great to make kids a part of the traning. My granddaughter is 9.  She can not wait to get started.  I hope to get to take her to a dog show next weekend.  We don't have many in our general area so we can only go a few times a year.  If we do show Dixie Darlin I would love for her to be a junior handler.

Lisa

Icerotti

« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2005, 09:17:16 am »
Do you have pictures of Jacks graduation, Tina?????

Offline jabear

• Wizard of Wiggling & Waggling
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2005, 09:27:31 am »
Have fun with your babies in class. I bet everyone will just love them!!
Hugs,
Jaime
  Mom to one handsome black Bear.

Icerotti

« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2005, 09:34:59 am »
At least this time Farley's name goes better with the off command than Puck's name did.

Offline DixieSugarBear

• Golden Paws
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2005, 10:27:09 am »
That is sooooooo funny.  I would love to see the faces of those in class when you had to do the "off".

Lisa

Icerotti

« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2005, 11:07:30 am »
Its only funny when it does not happen to you :D Yes Puck came prenamed. I was more worried about my daughter learning to say his name. But all went well there. ;D

Icerotti

« Reply #8 on: July 23, 2005, 01:09:27 pm »
I am still wiping the tears ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D Too funny.  The things you never think of in a name.

GYPSY JAZMINE

« Reply #9 on: July 23, 2005, 04:18:18 pm »
I had the same problem with that command for Jack.  Shortly after we got him he was out front with me and the kids.  He was jumping up with his front paws on the fence.  So, of course, I would say his name and then OFF.  Had been doing for quite a while when a neighbor suggested I change the order of the command.  He had to spell it out to me.  It never occured to me how it sounded.  We now use "OFF JACK"  instead of the other way around.

Although, I like Puck's version better.

Tina
My neighbor used to have Dalmations & had one named Jack...Same story...lol!...Lisa, how did class go?...Samson slept through most of his second course & hid under a chair (as best he could) from a Bulldog pup named Biskit for the first course. :-\ Until the last class where he approached Biskit, gave a bog ol' WOOF & proceded to roll Biskit around like a soccer ball in the dirt...I was never so proud!...lol!

Offline mastiffmommy

• Chief "All Knowing"
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 23, 2005, 05:12:19 pm »
Good Luck Dixie Darlin and Sugar Bear, I am sure they will be awwww'ed and ohhhhhh'ed over, I can see the crowd around the "ring" they train in, they will be the stars of the class. They may need some "grounding" after all the attention lol.....

We have had so much going on lately, but we are going to sign Galahad up for a class too, he is getting okay with quite a few things here at home, but will still need all the distraction and the other dogs in class. I cant wait to go with him.

Please let us know how it went

Marit
what the lion is to a cat, the mastiff is to a dog

Offline DixieSugarBear

• Golden Paws
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 24, 2005, 07:24:17 am »
 We had a great time.  The class is a 1hr. class. We were in Petsmart for 2 1/2 hrs.  At times there was a line of people waiting to pet Sugar Bear and Dixie.  We could not to the come command in the store because of so many people wanting to pet them.  We need to just have t-shirts made with the answers to the questions that are asked 100 times.

My granddaughter did a great job and had a very good time. If only I could talk her Mom into getting her a dog she would love it.  She did half the class with Sugar Bear and half with Dixie. 

One dog in class tried to jump on Sugar Bear over a treat. I had though that Sugar Bear would hide behind me but he did not let the dog bully him.  Dixie was there is a flash, with that "do not mess with my brother look".  Other than that everything went great. 

Lisa

GYPSY JAZMINE

« Reply #12 on: July 24, 2005, 07:40:05 am »
It sounds as if you guys had a good time! ;D I'm glad you have your granddaughter involved!...Samson went through 2 puppy coarses & I took both of my children...The y learned SO much & apply it to their interactions with Sam every day...I love that they gained knowlege & insight into how a dog "work"...It is important that we teach children about animals so they can be responsible pet owners one day too! :)