Author Topic: ah the age old question  (Read 3987 times)

Offline Krystal_00

• Big Paw Certified
    • View Profile
ah the age old question
« on: July 31, 2007, 08:47:58 pm »
My other neighbour hold me to put their poop in the hole...does that really work?

any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

It worked fantastic for Balu lol  but he was a sap boy...no poo was ever gonna touch his precious feet or any toy, ball, frisbie or nuthin...not even his own poo!  He was like ballerina boy if I didn't pick up in the yard very often...tiptoe ing all over the yard...so gawd forbid...he didn't get close to it! LOL  ::)  Takes a while and a few holes filled for them to think...hmmm what the??? how did "that" happen again! LOL He never dug in the same spot, and got tired of new spots getting "ruined".  I did always allow him his one shallow "cooling" hole that he would lay in though, usually in the border or flower bed ;)

Rucky isn't much of a digger so I haven't tried it on him ;)
« Last Edit: August 01, 2007, 07:30:53 am by k9kooky »
When the last fish has been caught and the last tree has been cut down...Only then will man realize that he cannot eat money.

Offline Sillygoose

• Top Doggie Dog
  • I love my dog!
    • View Profile
Re: ah the age old question
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2007, 08:54:52 pm »
My guys dig around the fence walls. I started puting poop in the holes and covering it lightly with some dirt. They don't dig there any more. But I would think they'll find somewhere else to dig eventually. And I myself don't want a yard full of poop covered with dirt. I would imagine it would eventully start to stink. I guess I'm no thelp. If anyone has ideas, let me know too.

Offline navarre1316

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2007, 09:01:57 pm »
I also tried the poop in the hole, or rocks even, when Navarre was digging....did n't work for him.  It did work for my mom's dogs at one point though.  If you do fill them back up, don't do it while the dogs are out, they will think it's a game!  With Navarre, I finally just left the hole alone (it was only one) and he stopped digging it and didn't dig anywhere else either.

I'm having the same dilemna with Daphne.  I bring Issy home and the next thing I know there's dirt everywhere!!  It's right next to the back door, so the poop idea is not an option!  I thought it was Issy, but upon watching them have realized that it's Daphne!!  Makes the floors in the house feel real nice too!!  Good luck!
God placed me on this earth to accomplish certain tasks...I'm so far behind I'll never die!!

Navarre: GSD 9/13/99-5/14/06 patiently waiting
Issabeaux: GSD 1/27/07
Daphne: Boxer
Stone: Siamese mix

Offline Newly Newfed

• Top Doggie Dog
  • Sierra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2007, 09:13:49 pm »
I only tried it with Strider. Keep in mind that he is "special". He dug out the balloons, chased them around the yard for hours until he popped them, then proceeded to dig more holes looking for more balloons. I think it would work for a "normal" dog though.
Stella

HAHA!  That's too funny!  Looks like he keeps you on your toes.
Dogs are not our whole lives, but they make our lives whole - Roger Caras

Sierra-Newfoundland
Cody-Papillon
Oscar, Gina- Cats
Roxy-Ferret
Peaches, Sean, Thunderbolt, Chablis, Lucky, Miracle, Ivy, Riley-Whitetail Deer

Offline Newly Newfed

• Top Doggie Dog
  • Sierra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2007, 09:16:02 pm »
I was having company and afraid someone would hurt themselves if they stepped into his favorite hole, so I put a basketball in it.
Tina

Tina, maybe you could plant a ring of flowers around it so it looks like it's supposed to be there...  LOL!

Sierra-Newfoundland
Cody-Papillon
Oscar, Gina- Cats
Roxy-Ferret

Nicole

« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2007, 10:00:39 pm »
I also heard that you could put blown up balloons in the hole and cover it lightly with dirt. Idea being that they start to redig, a balloon pops and the noise scares them so they are afraid to dig again. I only tried it with Strider. Keep in mind that he is "special". He dug out the balloons, chased them around the yard for hours until he popped them, then proceeded to dig more holes looking for more balloons. I think it would work for a "normal" dog though.
Stella

HAHAHAHA!!!  Ok, that totally made my day, Stella.  I think Strider and Dals could be great friends.  It sounds like their brains work about on the same level. :D

Having met Strider, I can attest to the fact that he and Dals would be best buddies. If they didn't forget that they both were there.

Strider: "Yaaaaaaaaaay! Dals is my new best friend!"

Dals: "YAAAAAAAAAAAAA AAY! Strider is my new best friend!"

Strider: "Hey...who are you? Why are you here? Shiny!!!!"

Dals: "Umm...what?"

Nicole

« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2007, 10:02:54 pm »
Oh...and to respond to the poop in the hole thing.

I have to do this. Its my job. (stepping on work soap box now)

Ahem. Putting poop in holes and burying it would not be a good thing for water quality. Poop contains e.coli which could contaminate not only ground water but potentially your well (if you have one). All dog poop should be picked up and disposed of properly as soon as possible.

(off soap box now.)

Thanks. Now back to your regularly scheduled posting.

Offline Ali

• BPO Fanatic
  • My girls!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 31, 2007, 10:32:35 pm »
Here's my two cents on digging - I've heard, although not tried myself, that if you fill the dig holes with water, they don't dig in them. Sounds a bit muddy and gross though. Tani is a digger, but I don't think our rememdy for that will work for too many folks. I am a stay at home mom, so my dogs hang out inside with me. I don't leave them outside unattended, so I'll let them out and watch them. When I see her start to dig, I tell her to stop and she stops. However, if one of the kids lets the dogs out and forgets to let them back in, it's moon crater central for sure.
Ali
mom of 4 humans AND
Tani (TAH-nee or rhymes with "Bonnie")- Aussie/Pittie?Boxer?Mutt!
Kai - Aussie/Dobie
Kenji - big ol' black cat
Mika and Nishi - kitty sisters, foster failures!
Tasia Ladysnake - ball python

Offline Newly Newfed

• Top Doggie Dog
  • Sierra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 31, 2007, 10:50:17 pm »
Here's my two cents on digging - I've heard, although not tried myself, that if you fill the dig holes with water, they don't dig in them.

Well, thank goodness that Sierra isn't really a digger.  The water thing wouldn't work with her.  One of her favorite things to do is dig in her water dish, the frog pond, puddles, etc.  Then again...She IS a Newfoundland.. .

Sierra-Newfoundland
Cody-Papillon
Oscar, Gina- Cats
Roxy-Ferret

Offline Newly Newfed

• Top Doggie Dog
  • Sierra
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 31, 2007, 10:51:37 pm »
Oh...and to respond to the poop in the hole thing.

I have to do this. Its my job. (stepping on work soap box now)

Ahem. Putting poop in holes and burying it would not be a good thing for water quality. Poop contains e.coli which could contaminate not only ground water but potentially your well (if you have one). All dog poop should be picked up and disposed of properly as soon as possible.

(off soap box now.)

Thanks. Now back to your regularly scheduled posting.

Hee...hee.. I love how you sound so technical and still use the word "poop".  LOL!!

Sierra-Newfoundland
Cody-Papillon
Oscar, Gina- Cats
Roxy-Ferret

bigdogs@5501

« Reply #10 on: August 01, 2007, 01:35:55 am »
I am thinking that the right answer to this question could be the modern day answer to the better mouse trap. I have Pyrs as all of you know and as many of you know Pyrs DIG and DIG and DIG. Well I live out in the country- I dont have cement- ( I could actually have a beautifully cemented driveway for about 30K, its just not in the budget) So the Pyrs have chose a part of my parking area as thier spot to DIG. I have actually gotten my small truck stuck in the gigantic holes that they have been digging recently. Not very funny. Also water, doesnt work- they play in the water- and a basketball- thats a toy, so nope and they dig faster than I can back fill the holes.

Offline jagersmom

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 07, 2007, 03:48:27 am »
I am ever so greatful that Jager is NOT a digger. He will dig in his sandbox or slightly at the beach. (I think he's playing with seaweed more than digging though). My neighbor's dog (lab/chow mix) digs out of their yard all the time. I've chased him down the street, through my yard, pulled him out of someone else's truck, everything. Most times he'll just lay on the sidewalk a few houses down. My neighbor is actually getting ready to line their fence with concrete to stop Bear from escaping.

Jager in his sandbox as a puppy

Jager at the beach as a puppy
Dogs laugh.... by wagging their tails

Annette, mother to:

Jagermeister - Bullmastiff
Bacardi - DSH terror cat