Author Topic: Puppy Food what's best for pyrs.  (Read 9282 times)

Offline MollyGirl

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
Puppy Food what's best for pyrs.
« on: August 01, 2007, 08:06:43 pm »
We are getting our pup on Monday and I was wondering what you all have fed your pups? Also I have heard to only feed them puppy food for the first 6mos then switch to adult.  The breeder feeds them purina puppychow which is not something I want to continue.
Thanks
Becky
Becky
Phoebe 1-1/2 Yr.Great Pyrenees
MollyGirl No longer with us Pyr/Springer mix

mama23+pyrs2

Re: Puppy Food what's best for pyrs.
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2007, 08:18:23 pm »
Oh congrats on getting a puppy! You MUST post pics!! Our pups were on puppy food for the first week we got them. The breeder had them on adult food from the time they weaned. It's really not necessary ..as long as you find a good quality adult food with low protein (23%), you'll be fine. It may take trial and error with a few different kinds depending on your individual dogs needs. I tried mine on a Solid Gold large breed puppy food and it didn't agree with my pup's systems for whatever reason. I switched them to Canidae Lamb and Rice for a couple months, and then eventually to the Canidae All Stages formula up until last month. Last month I bought a Wellness food to try with them because they have stoppped eating practically altogether in the last 2 months. On the off chance they were bored with their food, I thought I try it. Well it turns out they don't care about eating that food either, so I guess it's just their growth.

Lots of people on here like Innova, I just have the hardest time finding that where I live, or I'd try that too. I'll probably be going back to Canidae until they are older, when I want to switch them to a grain free food. The protein content is just too high for young pups.

Good luck!

Offline Sillygoose

• Top Doggie Dog
  • I love my dog!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2007, 03:39:46 pm »
Congratulation s on your pup. HAve fun with him/her because they grow so fast. And take lots of pics to post for the board.

I've tried several kibbles for my gang. Tripper who is 4.5mths now is on Royal Canine large breed puppy. I was advised to feed puppy food until he reached a year. Has something to do with rapid growth in large breeds which is not good for the joints and bones.

Offline Sillygoose

• Top Doggie Dog
  • I love my dog!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2007, 06:17:27 pm »
No I didn't forgot the "not" in there. I always thought that if it was large breed that it was made for large breed. I'm sure the people who make this food for our big guys must know what they are doing. And if this is not the case, when should I switch him to adult food?

Offline People Whisperer

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2007, 06:32:20 pm »
I know that a lot of breeders don't even recommend puppy food (at all). They suggest an adult formula to begin with.
And yes, almost every Vet will disagree with that and will recommend Eukanuba or Iams large breed puppy formula for the first year!
The best thing we can do is do our own homework and talk to people who have had success growing healthy large/giant pups  ;)

"To once own a Great Pyrenees is to love and want one always."
Mary W. Crane

I don't suffer from insanity; I enjoy every minute of it :)

Offline Sillygoose

• Top Doggie Dog
  • I love my dog!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2007, 06:38:21 pm »
Thanks for the advice. I guess I'll start mixing in the adult food with what I have left with the puppy food. One thigs that is good about that is they'll all be eating the same thing now.

Offline Saint Pyr

• Ankle Biter
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2007, 12:08:55 am »
Otis is now 9 months and I have always fed 1/2 and 1/2 Nutro Natural Choice Large Breed Adult and Large Breed Puppy mixed together to him and our 9 yo Saint, Slugger.  My vet suggested mixing the 2 together as the dogs always ate the others food.  I will be switching over to all adult food here soon.
I hope to be as good a person as my dog already thinks I am.

Offline Pyr Heaven

• Grand Master
    • View Profile
    • My Dogster Page
« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2007, 03:28:04 pm »
Whoa. That's funny! I got my pyr on Monday, August 6....and the breeder fed the puppies Purina Puppy Chow too! haha What a coincidence! When was your pup born?

Now, my boy gets Canidae All Life Stages Formula. He's doing quite well on it. I do follow the puppy recommended feeding guidlines. I will probably switch to the adult guidlines at about 6 months of age. I believe that is what is suggested on the bag as well.

I have heard that puppy food is not good for large or giant breed puppies because it makes them grow too fast resulting in joint and bone growth problems later in life. Although, according to many studies (including one done by Eagle Pack dog food, http://www.eaglepack.com/Pages/EP_PetHealth.html#lgnt) past research is no longer relevant, and it is ok to feed your giant breed pup a premium quality puppy food formulated just for large/giant breeds.
*~*~Samantha~*~*
Milwaukee, Wi

----Miles----
Great Pyrenees

Offline Sillygoose

• Top Doggie Dog
  • I love my dog!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 14, 2007, 03:31:31 pm »
Hello and welcome to the board. Your avatar is soo cute. YOu have to post more pictures.

Offline Pyr Heaven

• Grand Master
    • View Profile
    • My Dogster Page
« Reply #9 on: August 14, 2007, 03:40:26 pm »
...past research is no longer relevant, and it is ok to feed your giant breed pup a premium quality puppy food formulated just for large/giant breeds.

Let me re-word that a bit. The research is still relevant, but the puppy food has been reformulated!

There we go!

And thank you for the welcome! I'll definitely post more pics soon. As soon as I figure it all out! ;)
*~*~Samantha~*~*
Milwaukee, Wi

----Miles----
Great Pyrenees

Offline patrick

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
    • Great Pyrenees
« Reply #10 on: August 14, 2007, 03:56:33 pm »
I feed a high quality all natural puppy food (Verus) to mine BUT I often add in Purina puppy chow- soft and crunchy- they LOVE it.  I also switch to adult at around 4 months or so and still occasionally add the Purina as their 'junk' food  It helps in this really hot weather when they don't want to eat

Offline MollyGirl

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 14, 2007, 09:25:11 pm »
Whoa. That's funny! I got my pyr on Monday, August 6....and the breeder fed the puppies Purina Puppy Chow too! haha What a coincidence! When was your pup born?

Now, my boy gets Canidae All Life Stages Formula. He's doing quite well on it. I do follow the puppy recommended feeding guidlines. I will probably switch to the adult guidlines at about 6 months of age. I believe that is what is suggested on the bag as well.

I have heard that puppy food is not good for large or giant breed puppies because it makes them grow too fast resulting in joint and bone growth problems later in life. Although, according to many studies (including one done by Eagle Pack dog food, http://www.eaglepack.com/Pages/EP_PetHealth.html#lgnt) past research is no longer relevant, and it is ok to feed your giant breed pup a premium quality puppy food formulated just for large/giant breeds.
The litter my Phoebe came from was born June 17th but there wasanother litter born June 22nd.
Unfortunately she has been a little under the weather yesterday and today she has diarhea and vomitted today so she is going in in acouple of hours to see the vet she was in for an exam on monday and everthing was fine.  We will see i guess.  She is on Diamond Naturals lg breed puppy.
Becky

Offline Pyr Heaven

• Grand Master
    • View Profile
    • My Dogster Page
« Reply #12 on: August 15, 2007, 05:26:51 am »
Awwww. I've heard of that food before. How is it working for her? I hope she's feeling better!

Yesterday, Miles was napping, he all of a sudden woke up and vomited ALOT of stuff up. And I had only fed him a half a cup of food so far that day! Then, he had the runs! haha I do not know why, but he's better today. I think he ate something outside he shouldn't have.

Those pups are like babies! And it's so hard to watch what they put in their mouths since they do it so sly....haha Hope Pheobe is feeling better now!
*~*~Samantha~*~*
Milwaukee, Wi

----Miles----
Great Pyrenees

Offline MollyGirl

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 15, 2007, 03:58:29 pm »
Awwww. I've heard of that food before. How is it working for her? I hope she's feeling better!

Yesterday, Miles was napping, he all of a sudden woke up and vomited ALOT of stuff up. And I had only fed him a half a cup of food so far that day! Then, he had the runs! haha I do not know why, but he's better today. I think he ate something outside he shouldn't have.

Those pups are like babies! And it's so hard to watch what they put in their mouths since they do it so sly....haha Hope Pheobe is feeling better now!
She seems to be doing fine on Diamond I was glad to get her off Purina puppy there are alot of fillers in that.  she is on a bland diet now ID prescription diet to help her tummy settle then I will slowly introduce her kibble with it.  They are quick to eat anything and everything she hears NO and Leave it alot but she is such a good girl we are so happy to have her.
Becky

mama23+pyrs2

« Reply #14 on: August 15, 2007, 04:47:53 pm »

She seems to be doing fine on Diamond I was glad to get her off Purina puppy there are alot of fillers in that.  she is on a bland diet now ID prescription diet to help her tummy settle then I will slowly introduce her kibble with it.  They are quick to eat anything and everything she hears NO and Leave it alot but she is such a good girl we are so happy to have her.

Ya know my Pyr puppies were on Diamond adult food at the breeders and I couldn't wait to get them off of it because of how foul they smelled..serio usly it was enough to make you sick. Their breath could have knocked you over and they were 8 weeks old! I was like something is wrong with this picture..where's the sweet puppy breath? So once that food got out of their system, the smell went away. I'm glad yours is doing well on it.. but wow, it didn't agree with ours!

I'm glad she's feeling better today too!
« Last Edit: August 15, 2007, 04:48:31 pm by mama2many »