Author Topic: Breed Ban Bill to be proposed in MN  (Read 4136 times)

Offline ZooCrew

• Tail Wagging Champ
  • Never say Never to a pet in need
    • View Profile
Breed Ban Bill to be proposed in MN
« on: August 03, 2007, 05:05:11 am »
http://www.house.leg.state.mn.us/members/pressreleasels85.asp?district=66A&pressid=2696&party=1

PRESS RELEASE
Representative Lesch Proposes Bill To Ban Dangerous Dogs

Responding to several recent Metro Area dog attacks, Rep. John Lesch (DFL-St. Paul) today unveiled legislation to ban certain dangerous breeds of dogs. Lesch said that the dogs represent a threat to public safety.
"I'm tired of reading in the paper that another child has been attacked by a vicious dog," Lesch said. "At some point, we have to admit that these animals are just too dangerous and its time to get them off our streets."

Lesch's bill would make the following breeds of dogs illegal: the Akita, the Pit Bull, the Rottweiler, the Wolf Hybrid and the Chow Chow. Owning a dog of any of these breeds would be a misdemeanor. A CDC Report in 2000 identified these breeds as some of the most dangerous, accounting for over half of the dog bite related deaths between 1979 and 1998.

"Certainly any dog can be dangerous if it is poorly trained or mistreated, but these breeds show a disposition towards aggression," Lesch said. "There are dozens upon dozens of different varieties of dogs in the world, there is no reason why anyone has to own a dog as dangerous as a pit bull."

Lesch's bill will be considered when the Legislature reconvenes in February of next year.

Here is his website with included email address:
http://www.house.leg.state.mn.us/members/members.asp?district=66A

I urge anyone and everyone to email him in opposition of this proposed bill.  It is proposed to be statewide!  Other wording of it has the proposed breeds and dogs with their characteristic s, which is scary to say the least.  If passed, it will give owners of said breed 6 months (I believe that's what it said) to rehome their dogs. 

It does not mention mixed breeds or similar breeds, just "pit bull" which is so open to interpretation .  I more than likely won't be living here if this is proposed, but I own a husky mix..........I have no proof of her parentage..... .....I do not want her (or any other dog)being mistaken for a wolf hybrid.  My great dane was often mistaken for a pit bull as a puppy.  I have no proof of his parentage either (although it is now obvious what he is).........I would hate for someone's puppy to be taken away for mistaken identity.

I sent him a very, very, very long email stating my concerns and that breed bans do nothing to fix the problem.  I again urge anyone who wants to stop these breed bans to please email Rep. Lesch (I had to chuckle b/c it reminds me of letch) and voice your concerns.  Supposedly he reads all his emails himself, although I highly doubt it.

chris

Offline LuvmyMal

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
Re: Breed Ban Bill to be proposed in MN
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2007, 05:30:57 am »
when are these people going to learn! There is no such thing as a bad dog it is bad owners. Yes take the aggressive dogs from owners, but there should NOT be a breed ban. He will be getting an email from me and I don't even live there! This is ridiculous, everytime we turn around it is always another large breed dog that is getting a bad name and it is caused from irresponsible owners and irresponsible breeders. >:(