Author Topic: What is with all the bad dog press?  (Read 3460 times)

Offline jabear

• Wizard of Wiggling & Waggling
    • View Profile
What is with all the bad dog press?
« on: August 03, 2007, 06:14:18 am »
Ok, so I am completely alright with Michael VIck being sentenced to life or the electric chair for ruining the lives of so many once-innocent dogs but my question is why all of a sudden is there a rash of bad dog press- particularly big dog press?

Case in point- here in So. Cal, a huge wanna-be Great Dane rescue was shut down because they were harming the dogs & making them live in deplorable conditions. That would have been fine with me if the reporters hadn't focused on the size and scariness of these giant dogs.  ::)

Then today there is the whole Ving Rhames thing. I'm not sure if the dogs did bite the guy first causing him to die or if it was after the fact, but come on, big Bull Mastiffs are sweet. Did anyone see the video of them being walked out? They looked like the cutest most lovable guys in the world...goofy, clumsy, and all.

Anyways, thanks for letting me vent and hope that more negative big dog press isn't coming soon.
Hugs,
Jaime
  Mom to one handsome black Bear.

Offline 2Criminals

• Grand Master
    • View Profile
Re: What is with all the bad dog press?
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2007, 07:53:40 am »
It seems the articles can't agree what type of dogs Ving Rhames owns. Some say Bullmastiffs, some say english mastiffs. The dog in the press picture definately looks more like and English, not that it matters but the "Bull" breeds don't need anymore bad press. It seems that the caretaker may have already been dead when the bites were inflicted?? Looks like many groups have jumped on the bad dog bandwagon and rushed their articles out,no two stories are alike--sad.

Offline Imani's Mom

• Big Paws-a-holic
    • View Profile
    • My Chinchilla Page
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2007, 04:43:27 pm »
And even when the autopsy results are in, hopefully clearing the dogs, the media will NOT post that info, I can almost guarantee it- they just call everyone to arms, and never recant when they are WRONG!

Weedsport, NY

Offline ZooCrew

• Tail Wagging Champ
  • Never say Never to a pet in need
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2007, 04:13:54 am »
I hear ya'.
I didn't hear about the dane shutdown or the ving rhames thing, but you rarely hear a feel good dog story on the news, regardless of the size or breed......... .but you're right. Even moreso with the large breed and bully breeds.  I don't know if I've ever heard a good story on the news about them.
I think it's about time people learn, truly learn what these breeds are all about.

Offline jagersmom

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2007, 04:38:57 am »
I agree with everyone so far. It's sad and heartbreaking reading all of the stories this past week. Sitting I can just look over at a "poor" bullmastiff who is simply content curling up on couch.

I'm more inclined to believe that the caretaker suffered a heart attack with the dogs biting him after, but not intending to harm him. I know if I lay on the floor in an akward position or for too long Jager will come over and pull on my arm like "Come on Mom. Time to get up!" Didn't the same type of incident occur with Roy and some BP cat aka tigers? He tripped and the tiger freaked out. He didn't mean to hurt Roy he was trying to "help."

I'm leaving the whole Michael Vick thing alone. How can this be going on at your house for 5 years and you not know about it like he first said? Grrrr!!
Dogs laugh.... by wagging their tails

Annette, mother to:

Jagermeister - Bullmastiff
Bacardi - DSH terror cat

Offline Ali

• BPO Fanatic
  • My girls!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2007, 01:52:49 am »
The crazy thing is that if someone were to really collect accurate dog bite data, like if everyone were required by law to report all aggressive dog bits regarless of any other details, I'll bet we'd find that the little ankle biters are way nastier than any big paw. Seriously! They are way scarier to me than a giant goofy dane or something. People don't report the small dog incidents because the small mouths don't do much damage. I'll bet, though, that damage or no damage, there is way more aggression in a little dog bite than most big dog bites. The big dogs get all the bad press and prejudice because they are big. It's so dumb.
Ali
mom of 4 humans AND
Tani (TAH-nee or rhymes with "Bonnie")- Aussie/Pittie?Boxer?Mutt!
Kai - Aussie/Dobie
Kenji - big ol' black cat
Mika and Nishi - kitty sisters, foster failures!
Tasia Ladysnake - ball python

Offline kathryn

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2007, 04:16:56 am »
I have to say that I don't watch the news or read the news because it's always so depressing and sad.  I really don't need anything else to try and make my life a downer, I have work for that and not being independently wealthy.   ;)  I hadn't heard about the Ving Rhames thing until I read this thread and then I saw an article that said that they were Filas.  I never saw any pics of the dogs so not sure but really does it matter what type of dog it was since the caretaker is dead. 
Kaila - Belgian Malinois
Shiner - Malinois x Ridgeback
Toulouse, Cayenne, Raven - DSH

Due to recent budget cuts and the rising cost of electricity, gas and oil, as well as current market conditions, the Light at the End of the Tunnel has been turned off. We apologize for the inconvenience