Author Topic: Fleas :(  (Read 3321 times)

mama23+pyrs2

Fleas :(
« on: August 05, 2007, 06:19:12 pm »
Well my luck has run out where fleas are concerned and now we have a problem. I had found one on Yiska at her last bath..but that was it. They had started scratching and the scratching has just gotten much worse over the last couple months. Then last night I saw one on the kitten's belly..after I got it off I noticed several under her chin..wonderfu l!! I think she got them from the dogs. :-\ I've never had a flea problem so I've never been a regular user of any flea products..the nasty topical ones or natural things. Can someone steer me in the right direction? Hubby wants me to just get Advantix or something (he's seen the commercials), I know there are several things, but know nothing about them. Everytime I would get a kitten I'd put a couple drops of one of those things on their neck to get rid of anything they had and that's the only time I ever needed it.

I will be taking the kitten to the SPCA for another round of shots this week and picking up the dogs Heartguard and I guess some flea stuff too, but just don't know what to get.

Thanks for your help! I've been so super busy around here trying to keep up with everyone and everything, school..Dr appts, kids, messes..the dogs..you know. I guess I'm kidding myself that I hope I have more time soon. :P
« Last Edit: August 05, 2007, 06:25:22 pm by mama2many »

Offline fivestartaylor

• Full Fledged Chewer
  • Scooby & Kids
    • View Profile
Re: Fleas :(
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2007, 07:04:03 pm »
I love that stuff that does flees ticks and skeeters...can't remeber the name right now. Maybe it's Advantage or Interceptor.I know it;s really exspensive but it works 100% my lab used to itch herself bald and bloody until I started using that stuff. Sorry I'm ditzy today  - I'll get back with the name.
Mom To :

Scooby 18mo. Great Dane
          &
Lucy   7yr old Labrador Retriever

2 Kids & 1 Husband -(might as well be another kid)

Offline People Whisperer

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2007, 07:14:14 pm »
Fist off, if you wash them with Dawn it kills every single flea on them (PROVEN!!!) and then treat your house with DE!
Gosh, I hate those little creatures! Good luck!

P.S. I use herbal "Play Dead" flea collar on Lily and I have not seen a flea ones
"To once own a Great Pyrenees is to love and want one always."
Mary W. Crane

I don't suffer from insanity; I enjoy every minute of it :)

Offline zchic

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
    • Tisha's Barkin' Bodega
« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2007, 07:52:30 pm »
I know here it has been sooo dry all summer, the fleas are really bad this year. I never had problems in the past ever...but we have had to treat everyone this summer. On the other hand the ticks like it wet out, so they haven't been bed. Beau had them bad...I frontlined him, and I am sure I will have to treat the whole kennel...ugh I HATE bugs!!!
-Jodi
Mom to:
Thorn- 8 year old fawn male dane
Morgayne- Wolfhound pup
Gracie- Merelequin (deaf) dane pup

1996-2007
Tisha...my best friend, I miss you girl.

Offline People Whisperer

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2007, 07:58:05 pm »
Inside the house you can sprinkle upholstered furniture and carpets with boric acid, let set for an hour or so then vaccum it up. Old fashioned detergents like "20 Mule Team" and "Borax" have enough boric acid in them to do the job, and are still safe and leave a nice smell behind.
Stella
I have heard that boric acid is toxic to dogs, I wouldn't mess with it
"To once own a Great Pyrenees is to love and want one always."
Mary W. Crane

I don't suffer from insanity; I enjoy every minute of it :)

Offline Ouch

• Full Fledged Chewer
  • Sadie
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2007, 08:42:46 pm »
I always keep a plant mist bottle in the fridge with water infused with 4 drops of lavender essential oil and 4 drops of tea tree essential oil per cup and spray my dogs when they go out. (I also use it on myself to keep away mosquitos and no see ums)  Also, if you will use Rosemary essential oil in your dogs final rinse (and not rinse it off) - 4 drops per cup and you'll need about a gallon, it will deter ticks and fleas.  For all of you that have an herb garden - two cups of rosemary steeped in 2 cups of boiling water over night, discard the Rosemary - then enough water to make a gallon.  Also, I have always planted mint around my porches (mint is invasive and I have to pull it up about twice a summer) .. the dogs go thru it all the time looking for lizards and they pick up the scent that fleas hate.  **BIG NOTE ** essential oils CANNOT BE USED ON CATS **
Copper, 12 yr old American Cocker
Emmitt, 7 yr old English Springer Spaniel
Sadie, 2 yr old Newfie
OnryHenry, 17 yr old King Feline of KY

lins_saving_grace

« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2007, 08:54:42 pm »
1. bomb the house.  a few times if you have to.
2. dunk the dog/cat in the tub.   Fleas can not swim and will drown.  no fleas in the house...no fleas on the dog...no fleas. 

Offline RMSChloe

• Big Paws-a-holic
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 06, 2007, 12:52:25 am »
I agree with the DE :)

But a quick fix to helpt the kitten would be to dunk her in water.  Keep her under the water (head out of course) for about 5 mins.  The fleas will drown and you will see them floating on the top of the water.

yeah dont drown kittie.... but hey, no kittie, less fleas! just kidding, i love kitties, ive had them all my life. i have one now, his name is Toast...
Shes not a dog... shes a Great Dane!

mama23+pyrs2

« Reply #8 on: August 06, 2007, 10:12:44 pm »
I've used DE in the past for other bugs and stuff now I don't remember exactly but it was when I lived at home so a looooooooong time ago. Well hubby came home with Advantix yesterday and used that. I didn't know he was going to get anything but I guess he thought he'd surprise me, ha. Then I read Jen's comment about the cats so I hope it will be okay. They don't get near eachother..exc ept the cat will sneak in a crate to drink the water but they don't touch eachother. Yiska is still scratching today, so I don't know how long it takes for that to stop. I do hope it stops. We bathed the kitty, she was not happy..I'll have to post pics, they're hilarious.

Offline Newly Newfed

• Top Doggie Dog
  • Sierra
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 06, 2007, 11:00:43 pm »

But a quick fix to helpt the kitten would be to dunk her in water.  Keep her under the water (head out of course) for about 5 mins. 

Heh, heh, heh...  good luck with that one.  Be sure to send pictures of your shredded hands... ;D ;D ;D
Dogs are not our whole lives, but they make our lives whole - Roger Caras

Sierra-Newfoundland
Cody-Papillon
Oscar, Gina- Cats
Roxy-Ferret
Peaches, Sean, Thunderbolt, Chablis, Lucky, Miracle, Ivy, Riley-Whitetail Deer

mama23+pyrs2

« Reply #10 on: August 06, 2007, 11:02:22 pm »

But a quick fix to helpt the kitten would be to dunk her in water.  Keep her under the water (head out of course) for about 5 mins. 

Heh, heh, heh...  good luck with that one.  Be sure to send pictures of your shredded hands... ;D ;D ;D

She did surprisingly well, glad it wasn't one of my adult cats though!
« Last Edit: August 06, 2007, 11:02:40 pm by mama2many »