Author Topic: Why Doesnt He Ask?  (Read 3257 times)

Offline Krystal_00

• Big Paw Certified
    • View Profile
Why Doesnt He Ask?
« on: August 06, 2007, 10:24:05 am »
SO the house training is not going good for us :( Decker had 10 accidents (pee) in the house today!! He waits until my back is turned for one second and then pees on the floor, or he runs to the door and pees beside it. No asking, no warning....not even sniffing at the ground and going in circles....jus t bam! Pee!!  How do I get him to "ask" to go outside? Mack comes and gives me a little cry and a nudge when he wants to go out...but I didnt teach him that, he just does it (smart dog haha). I take Decker out often...he will be outside for hours...then come inside and pee the first chance he gets  >:(

Who ever said puppies were all fun and games?! :'(
When the last fish has been caught and the last tree has been cut down...Only then will man realize that he cannot eat money.

Offline Leah...

• Big Paws-a-holic
    • View Profile
Re: Why Doesnt He Ask?
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2007, 10:45:02 am »
I'm sorry you are having poty training issues! Sky ALWAYS pee'd outside, but he pooped in the house until he was almost 7 months old. (we have had him since he was 4 1/2 months old).

As for asking when to go out...I have no clue how to teach it. Sammie holds it unless you ask him "Do you wanna go OUT?" then he runs to the back door if he needs to go, and just stands there and looks at you if he doesn't. Bailey just pees in the house if you don't let him out every 45 minutes.  ::) Sky is the most annoying tho. If he even has a teeny little trickle of pee in him, he will bark. And bark, and bark and BARK! A very shrill, obnoxious bark too. If you ingnore him, he sits in your lap and barks. If you let him outside...he gets what he wants, then barks some more to come back in.  ;D It's a never ending circle, but at least he poops outside now!
« Last Edit: August 06, 2007, 10:45:45 am by Leah&Sky »
Leah
Mom to:
Sky- Australian Shepherd
Sammie- Newfoundland/Border Collie mix
Rose- Tortie/Tabby cat
Stinky- Silver Marten rabbit
Ruby, Mambo and Charlotte- Rats
Trevor- Frog
13 Millipedes
NO LONGER WITH US
Bailey the Wolf-Dog 1998-2007
Spanky- Rabbit 2000-2007

Offline People Whisperer

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2007, 03:35:18 pm »

[Take him out every hour (or less) and wait for him to pee.]

Less, less, less! Gosh, I had to take Lily out every 15-20 min for the first month and then every 30-45 for the second. I was so exhausted from watching her like a hawk that I was going to commit suicide! LOL
« Last Edit: August 06, 2007, 03:36:17 pm by People Whisperer »
"To once own a Great Pyrenees is to love and want one always."
Mary W. Crane

I don't suffer from insanity; I enjoy every minute of it :)

Offline Ali

• BPO Fanatic
  • My girls!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2007, 03:52:32 pm »
Yeah, we're having the same issues with Koji, now 4 1/2 months. My husband calls him "the bladder". Even my one year old is saying "MOMMY! PEE PUDDLE!"
Ali
mom of 4 humans AND
Tani (TAH-nee or rhymes with "Bonnie")- Aussie/Pittie?Boxer?Mutt!
Kai - Aussie/Dobie
Kenji - big ol' black cat
Mika and Nishi - kitty sisters, foster failures!
Tasia Ladysnake - ball python

Offline fivestartaylor

• Full Fledged Chewer
  • Scooby & Kids
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2007, 03:59:54 pm »
Scooby was 4 months old when we got him and I swear to god that pup would pee on the floor if you looked at him wrong. But I took him out @ every 45 min for a VERY LONG TIME and then all of a sudden he was getting better and then low and behold the accidents were once a week and then once a month and then once every few months.(and when he does have accidents it's usually my fault because I had to work late and he just could not hold it any longer)I just feel real sure that Patience is the only reason my boy EVER got through it. Hang in there I'm sure it'll get better.
Mom To :

Scooby 18mo. Great Dane
          &
Lucy   7yr old Labrador Retriever

2 Kids & 1 Husband -(might as well be another kid)

Offline Sillygoose

• Top Doggie Dog
  • I love my dog!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2007, 04:16:10 pm »
When I got Noah a frind of mine told me to hang a bell by the door so that everytime I took him out I would hit the bell and go out with him to do his business. If he ever hit the bell even when playing we brought him out and he finally realized that whenever that bell is hit it means he got to go out. I've given this trick to a friend of mine and he said it worked like a charm for him. Tripper is half housebroken. He never messes in the upstairs part of the house but the minute he is downstairs with the other 2 he does his business. I don't understand why he's doing this. It's frustrating because I can't leave him in the dog den to play with Merri and Annie becaude I know he's going to pee or poop. What do I  do?

Offline People Whisperer

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2007, 04:24:36 pm »
When I got Noah a frind of mine told me to hang a bell by the door so that everytime I took him out I would hit the bell and go out with him to do his business. If he ever hit the bell even when playing we brought him out and he finally realized that whenever that bell is hit it means he got to go out. I've given this trick to a friend of mine and he said it worked like a charm for him. Tripper is half housebroken. He never messes in the upstairs part of the house but the minute he is downstairs with the other 2 he does his business. I don't understand why he's doing this. It's frustrating because I can't leave him in the dog den to play with Merri and Annie becaude I know he's going to pee or poop. What do I  do?
The bell worked wonders for us as well BUT we had to take if off the door because Lily would not stop playing with it and would just ring it and ring it and ring it! My nerves gave up! LOL After that she would just stand by the door where the bell used to be...worked for me  ;D
« Last Edit: August 06, 2007, 04:45:31 pm by People Whisperer »
Mary W. Crane

Offline Sillygoose

• Top Doggie Dog
  • I love my dog!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 06, 2007, 04:28:55 pm »

The bell warked wonders for us as well BUT we had to take if off the door because Lily would not stop playing with it and would just ring it and ring it and ring it! My nerves gave up! LOL After that she would just stand by the door where the bell used to be...worked for me  ;D
[/quote]

Thats funny. I just hope Tripper gets the message and goes ousside instead of the den. Weird how upstairs he knows he can't and down there he does it.

Offline People Whisperer

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 06, 2007, 04:48:53 pm »

The bell warked wonders for us as well BUT we had to take if off the door because Lily would not stop playing with it and would just ring it and ring it and ring it! My nerves gave up! LOL After that she would just stand by the door where the bell used to be...worked for me  ;D

Thats funny. I just hope Tripper gets the message and goes ousside instead of the den. Weird how upstairs he knows he can't and down there he does it.
[/quote]

I had exactly the same scenario going on. She had never had any single accident upstairs but as soon as the basement door unlocked and unsupervised she would go and poot there!!! She stopped that when she turned 6 months. Thank God!!!
Mary W. Crane

Offline Sillygoose

• Top Doggie Dog
  • I love my dog!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 06, 2007, 04:56:09 pm »
Well I hope he stops soon. This dog den is just for them. It was the family room and I turned it into theire room. TOre up the carpet and put ceramic down. (Easier to clean up fur) and it would be a shame if he couldn't go and play with the other two and lounge.

Offline fivestartaylor

• Full Fledged Chewer
  • Scooby & Kids
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 06, 2007, 05:09:08 pm »
The bell thing worked for us too.....until the bells kept getting chewed off the string and disappearing, needless to say we no longer use the bell.LOL.
Mom To :

Scooby 18mo. Great Dane
          &
Lucy   7yr old Labrador Retriever

2 Kids & 1 Husband -(might as well be another kid)

Lyn

« Reply #11 on: August 06, 2007, 06:22:34 pm »

Less, less, less! Gosh, I had to take Lily out every 15-20 min for the first month and then every 30-45 for the second. I was so exhausted from watching her like a hawk that I was going to commit suicide! LOL

LOL I did the same thing. It seemed like I was outside more than I was inside. :D But it payed off in the long run for Bubba. He's will not mess at all on the floor. No marking, not even puke. When he had booty blowout he'd run to door and dance back and forth as if to say 'Oh god, hurry up and open the damn door'. LOL

Lola on the other hand peed on the hallway carpet last night. ::) I still can't trust her.. She'll go to the door but if noone sees her, she's like ok then I'll just pee here. LOL She has an accident probably once every 3 months or so.

As for teaching them to go the door it's something they started on their own. Bubba was about 12 weeks old when he started to go to the door. But at first it was only when I asked him if he needed to go outside. I also kept Bubba leashed to me.. where I went he went.

Offline People Whisperer

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 06, 2007, 06:38:34 pm »

LOL I did the same thing. It seemed like I was outside more than I was inside. :D But it payed off in the long run for Bubba. He's will not mess at all on the floor. No marking, not even puke. When he had booty blowout he'd run to door and dance back and forth as if to say 'Oh god, hurry up and open the damn door'. LOL

Lola on the other hand peed on the hallway carpet last night. ::) I still can't trust her.. She'll go to the door but if noone sees her, she's like ok then I'll just pee here. LOL She has an accident probably once every 3 months or so.

As for teaching them to go the door it's something they started on their own. Bubba was about 12 weeks old when he started to go to the door. But at first it was only when I asked him if he needed to go outside. I also kept Bubba leashed to me.. where I went he went.
Lily would just stand by the door without any sound. After a while she just lays down there and wait until you see her, LOL Weird girls!!!

And when she has to puke she rushes in our shower tub. Don't ask me why  ??? but that is where she pukes
Mary W. Crane