Author Topic: Yukon is limping?  (Read 4123 times)

mama23+pyrs2

Yukon is limping?
« on: August 06, 2007, 10:16:39 pm »
I don't know what he did to his foot. He came in yesterday morning after being outside for a little while to run around and came in limping. When he got in his crate, he just held his paw in the air, then got tired and layed down. This morning he is still limping just like he was, and holding the paw up still, ahhhhhhhhhhhhh . I tried to inspect his foot but he kept moving it so much it was virtually impossible..no thing obvious is wrong with it and I don't know what actually hurts. They've got quite a pain tolerance so for him to be babying it like that, must hurt a lot. If he did something like twist it or something that will fix itself, how long do you think I should expect him to act this way? The last thing we need right now is a vet bill. Never had a dog injure itself, so I'm clueless.
« Last Edit: August 06, 2007, 10:17:25 pm by mama2many »

lins_saving_grace

Re: Yukon is limping?
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2007, 10:35:09 pm »
watch him for a day or two before you panic.  sometimes our pups just play too hard and twist something.  which paw is it?
Lady would hurt her legs once in a while.  a week on couch rest was fine.  Grace will take a day or two and be good to go.  if it persists, call the vet or call the vet and get a phone consult before you haul him in.  it sounds pretty normal/harmless.
to inspect a wiggly paw, first sit on your pet and stabilize the wiggly parts.  They'll let you look at it then.

mama23+pyrs2

« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2007, 10:39:52 pm »
watch him for a day or two before you panic.  sometimes our pups just play too hard and twist something.  which paw is it?
Lady would hurt her legs once in a while.  a week on couch rest was fine.  Grace will take a day or two and be good to go.  if it persists, call the vet or call the vet and get a phone consult before you haul him in.  it sounds pretty normal/harmless.
to inspect a wiggly paw, first sit on your pet and stabilize the wiggly parts.  They'll let you look at it then.

Okay thank you. It's his right front paw. I will have hubby help me when he gets home so I can try to get a look at it again or at least see if I can tell where the pain is coming from. I noticed that when he was chewing his bone..he normally flexes his toes out like a cat to hold the bone still..that paw he wont move anything on it..he just acts like it's frozen kind of..he tries to put it on the bone but since he won't 'use' it, he gives up trying to.

mama23+pyrs2

« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2007, 11:06:45 pm »
How old is he?

If he's still a youngster he may have Pano - growth pains. I'd give him a day or two, slow activities, no running, no jumping, maybe crate time to keep him from doing anything like that. Does he feel or look swollen at all?

Mowglie played real hard with Sophie one day and limped for a week. We did take him to the vet where he had a thorough exam and was told that he probably strained a muscle, he was given Rimadyl (good for short term) and told to rest ;) So he stayed in the office with hubby for a week, time outside to only poop/pee/eat

Will he put pressure on it?

Yuck, hope it's not Pano. He is 7 1/2 mos old. I know they play pretty rough outside with eachother, so maybe it was something like that. That's just it, I don't want to take him to the vet and shell out a bunch of money to be told it will heal on it's own kinda thing.. seems every Dr. visit we have around here goes like that. He will put pressure on it, but he prefers not to. He holds it up when he sits..or lets it touch the ground lightly and just kinda bobs it up and down like he tries but it hurts.

Offline People Whisperer

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2007, 11:25:49 pm »
My two theories: 1. He digged too hard 2. He tripped and fell in one of those carzy crators that they dig  ;D

Give him sometime to relax and check on him often  ;)
"To once own a Great Pyrenees is to love and want one always."
Mary W. Crane

I don't suffer from insanity; I enjoy every minute of it :)

lins_saving_grace

« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2007, 11:42:39 pm »
give it a few days.  Lady had something like that. we never found out what but it stopped.   i don't like to run Grace to the vet for every little thing either especially when i know what it is.  you want to...but just like with real kids, you don't have to. 

Offline GoldenPyrs

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2007, 12:08:33 am »
We've been through lots of types of limps around here, too. It's true, Pyrs can strain a leg or paw easily with that steam shovel digging that they are infamous for.  ;)  ;D   Most of our limps have been easy stuff.  Pulls & strains should resolve within a few days with lots of R&R.  Halley had pano as a puppy and it came & went periodically.  It was treated with Rimidyl (short term) and a change in her food.  If you have foxtails or other types of weed seeds that can poke into their feet, then it is important to look & feel around very carefully for any sign of something poking into his skin and between his pads.  Foxtails and all move remarkably fast, so it's important to try and find them within a day or two or they'll be entirely inside, harder to detect and remove.  I would suggest that you have hubby gently restrain Yukon and distract him with pets & treats while you use a bright light to look carefully at his paw (especially in between the pads where stuff gets stuck).  If you don't see any irritated spots, then I'd wash his paw (just in case he stepped into something irritating), and just watch it for a few more days.  You're right about their pain tolerance, it is really amazing.  You may be able to feel around on his joints more for any swelling or tenderness while you're holding him down, too.  If he is breathing really fast, panting unusually hard, or wincing you'll know that you've hit a sore spot.   Hopefully, it will resolve on it's own.  Give him a hug for me.   :-*
Marie

And my pups:
Daisy a 9 y/o Golden/Lab mix
Sammy a 6-7(?) y/o Great Pyrenees adopted 3/07
Cassie a 3 y/o Pyr/Mystery Snuggle Bunny mix adopted 2/07

My angel girls waiting at the Bridge:
Cara 1989-2001 Great Pyrenees
Sally ? - 1993 Dobie(rescued '92)
Halley 2002-2006 Great Pyrenees