Author Topic: My Danes Front Feet Are Funny..  (Read 10569 times)

Offline RMSChloe

• Big Paws-a-holic
    • View Profile
My Danes Front Feet Are Funny..
« on: August 07, 2007, 04:06:00 am »
My girl is 4 months old now, and her front feet turn out.. she looks like a duck! I was just wondering, is this a phase Danes go through when their bones are still growing and changing and moving? If its not, then its from her HOD, and that means its permanent..
Shes not a dog... shes a Great Dane!

Offline zchic

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
    • Tisha's Barkin' Bodega
Re: My Danes Front Feet Are Funny..
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2007, 05:02:31 am »
I am guessing it may be from her HOD.
-Jodi
Mom to:
Thorn- 8 year old fawn male dane
Morgayne- Wolfhound pup
Gracie- Merelequin (deaf) dane pup

1996-2007
Tisha...my best friend, I miss you girl.

Offline RMSChloe

• Big Paws-a-holic
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2007, 02:25:00 pm »
thats what ive thought all the time, but i figured id give it a shot and see if maybe someone else had this problem... well, its really not a problem... it just looks like one lol. good thing i never bought her for a show dog... could you imagine trying to show her.. gimping all over, with her knot in her tail, her little duck feet... ohhh yeahhhh, id get first place

Offline Sillygoose

• Top Doggie Dog
  • I love my dog!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2007, 03:51:56 pm »
I've seen pretty bad feet in the show ring! lol.

Offline PennyK

• Majestic Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2007, 04:55:06 pm »
I know Teddy's not a dane, but....his front feet turn out too.  In our case, I'm pretty sure its just poor breeding practices as he's from a BYB.  At 18 months, it hasn't really seemed to effect him any, no lameness or anything, even after hard play...he just looks like a duck.  LOL!
Every girl needs a Teddy bear!

Offline RMSChloe

• Big Paws-a-holic
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2007, 07:53:08 pm »
her feet are just weird, i have to get some pics on here... its like she walks on her tippy toes... but about the food switch... i have her on Eukanuba Large Breed Adult and I KNOW I KNOW I KNOW I KNOW i can hear you all gasping and gaggling already BUT i have a very good reason!!! its the only food shes been on that her HOD hasent acted up on. YES ive read all of Linda Arndt, and while she may be very smart and educated, her program didnt work for my pup at all. im not saying it doesnt work at all... maybe for pups with less severe HOD.. but my pup was really really bad, she relapsed every week with fevers of 105 and severe pain that left her just laying there unable to sleep or pick up her head, she just screamed all night. so thats why shes on this, because since i switched her shes been able to be walking EVERY DAY, and her muscle is building back up and shes gaining weight. once her HOD is all clear and gone, then i will probably switch her, untill then, i need to do whats best for her. ANYWAY, yeah her feet, theyre goofy. im going to go take some pics and post them

Offline RMSChloe

• Big Paws-a-holic
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2007, 08:16:13 pm »
heres those pics, sorry theyre a little blurry.. now that she can walk, she doesnt hold still!!

bigdogs@5501

« Reply #7 on: August 08, 2007, 04:07:17 am »
Probably from the HOD, but she is so cute, who cares? As far as the food, you are doing what suits your dog- and thats the right thing. She is not in pain and crying and spiking temps, she is gaining weight and muscle mass, so I would be hesitant to ever change what is working. Like kids all dogs are different. I love her- I think that she is precious and I am so sorry she has had such a tough and painful puppyhood. Give her hugs and kisses from us.

Offline RMSChloe

• Big Paws-a-holic
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 08, 2007, 03:31:22 pm »
thanks for undersanding the food issue. shes been doing SO much better. shes been up and walking every day and shes actually started running a lot lately. i try not to let her do that too much though because i dont want her to get head of herself, but if daddy comes home and she runs to him, im not going to stop her! i love seeing her up and moving. my sister saw her last week at a party and then she saw her again last night, she said "i cant believe thats the same dog. last week she could barely walk! look at her go!" and its funny how everyone i know is always so concerned about her, even people who dont care for dogs always ask about her. i was laying in bed with her this morning thinking more about making her into a therapy dog when shes a little older, and i cant wait. apparently neither can she, i closed my eyes for a second and fell back asleep and she fell off the bed lol. i looked over the side at her and she looked at me like, "hey, why did you push me off momma"

chaosndestruction

« Reply #9 on: August 08, 2007, 08:35:06 pm »
awwww She sounds and looks like a total sweetheart! I'd say her legs are probably a result of the HOD. There's a dane at the Deaf Dane rescue up for adoption that has slightly malformed legs because of HOD.

I'm so glad to hear that Chloe is doing well!!!

haha Radio, my friends BT will fall off the couch and lay there looking at you like "how dare you push me off!"

Offline Sillygoose

• Top Doggie Dog
  • I love my dog!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 08, 2007, 10:56:23 pm »
She still looks like a sweetie. Don't change anything if she's getting better with what she's eating now. And my she is tall! How old is she now?

Offline RMSChloe

• Big Paws-a-holic
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 09, 2007, 12:21:26 am »
Shes 4 months now.. shes just getting bigger and bigger by the day! shes around 40lbs, and shes A LOT of legs! hopefully i can get some recent pics of her on here soon, and not just of her feet! ;D