Author Topic: Problem with big dogs not on a leash - any suggestions?  (Read 2291 times)

Offline cbotto2007

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
Problem with big dogs not on a leash - any suggestions?
« on: August 07, 2007, 05:00:42 pm »
Hi,

I have a small dog that was attached by another dog when he was a puppy. Ever since then he starts to growl and snap when a dog larger than him even looks at him. I have to keep him very close to make sure he is not getting himself into trouble.

We have a very nice park close to my house. Unfortunately, it seems to be a general rule that dogs are not on a leash there.

My dog is only 11 lbs; usually I pick him up and wait until the dog owner finally comes around to removing his dog from me. I cannot tell you how uncomfortable I am with these big dogs right there around me.

Last weekend one of these leash less dog owners calmly stated that I am risking to be bitten by holding my dog in my arms. Lovely, just what I wanted to hear! Don't I feel better now.

Any suggestions on what I could do or use to keep these dogs at bay?

Thank you,
Christina Botto
http://www.patentingateenager.net

Offline dober_gurl

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
Re: Problem with big dogs not on a leash - any suggestions?
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2007, 05:03:38 pm »
Actually it sounds like your little dog needs some socializing so he can be comfortable with big dogs again. One of the things is to correct him when he's snapping, growling, and what not at the big dogs and do not pick him up. That encourages his fear of big dogs when your cuddling him. I'm sure everyone else here can give you better advice though. Good luck.
"None left to rescue, none left to buy, none left to suffer, none left to die. None to be beaten, none to be kicked...all must be loved and all must be fixed"

Maggie-Doberman
Molly-Papillon
Mickey-Mutt
Collin-Kitty
Sunny-Amazon Parrot
Squishy-Guinea Pig
Harper/Lyric-Rats

Offline Sillygoose

• Top Doggie Dog
  • I love my dog!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2007, 05:24:22 pm »
I agree. He needs to be socialized with the bigger dogs. You are encouraging his behaviour by picking him up. You're telling him he should be afraid. Find someone that has a dog a bit bigger than yours a start there. If he doesn't have issues then move on to abigger dog. Hope this helps. You've come to the right plac eto get some really good answers.

Offline navarre1316

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2007, 05:26:53 pm »
dober_gurl is right on the money.  By picking him up he's getting love and affection for bad behavior.  The other dog owner was right too, if you're holding him the other dogs don't see you all they see is a rude dog who's lashing out at them.  Will you actually get bit?  Maybe, knocked down would be more my thought.  Most dogs will not actually bite another dog initially, they will correct him/her and let them know that that behavior is not tolerated.  This will happen with a bit of growling and maybe even a little teeth, but usually no actual bite wounds.  A lot of owners get worked up over a "fight" that really is just a manners lesson.

If you feel uncomfortable around the bigger dogs, your dog knows it.  So you have to stay calm.  Try some things with him before you take him to the park, maybe see if one of the other dog owners would help you.  Have them walk their dog close to yours and when you see that he is about to act out (watch his body language so you catch it before he actually does it), tap him with your foot or leg to distract his attention away and give him a command, "to me" or "attention" whatever.  Preferably try this with a dog who is going to ignore him, watch some of the dogs and their owners at the park if you don't of anyone yourself and see if someone will help you.  And good for you for trying to stop this behavior!!
God placed me on this earth to accomplish certain tasks...I'm so far behind I'll never die!!

Navarre: GSD 9/13/99-5/14/06 patiently waiting
Issabeaux: GSD 1/27/07
Daphne: Boxer
Stone: Siamese mix

Offline fivestartaylor

• Full Fledged Chewer
  • Scooby & Kids
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2007, 05:36:57 pm »
I have to agree, I would think that if you are taking a somewhat non sociable dog to a dog park (that the reason most people take their dogs to is to be around other dogs)and if you reinforce bad behavior by holding your little one i would think it is showing your dog that what it is doing is okay.I would try a diffrent approach somehow, and if thats not possible maybe a doggie park isn't the best place for your pooch.
Mom To :

Scooby 18mo. Great Dane
          &
Lucy   7yr old Labrador Retriever

2 Kids & 1 Husband -(might as well be another kid)

Offline RMSChloe

• Big Paws-a-holic
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2007, 10:04:12 pm »
Do you have a Petsmart or other large pet store where obedience/socialization classes are held? You could talk to some associates there or other trainers in your area and find out about desensitizing him to what he's scared of if you don't feel comfortable venturing out on your own.

i had my pup in class (well, she went to one then her HOD acted up and we had to pull her) in the beginning and the end of every class she let the pups all group up and play and establish who was alpha. she explained to us that growling and barking is normal, and you SHOULDNT separate them or scold them for it. let them go! the only time they should the sperarated is when its fighting, youll know because one will let out a harsh cry, or a few... then you should take them apart because one is hurting the other. other than that, you need to maybe step back and watch. a lot of people are too protective of their pup to let them get physical with other pups, but its ok. they need it!
Shes not a dog... shes a Great Dane!

Offline ZooCrew

• Tail Wagging Champ
  • Never say Never to a pet in need
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2007, 04:23:31 am »
I concur.

As an owner of 4 different sized dogs, I've made it a point to socialize them all around all sorts of different situations and animals. 

If you are wanting to socialize your dog better or to help it get over it's issue of being afraid of larger dogs, the only way to do this is to desensitize him to dogs bigger than he is.

Other than what everyone else has suggested, there is one other possiblity.  This only works if your dog loves food/treats/toys though.  I've suggested this for a few other people and it seemed to work well for them.........i n fact one of them is now going to a doggie day care with other dogs and doing great.

You find an area where big dogs frequent, like the park you were mentioning.  Start off far away.  See if your dog notices the other dogs. Move closer until he notices them.  If he starts to growl, correct him.  When he stops, tell him "good boy" and give him a treat/toy play.  Work with him from this distance.  Once he is fine at that distance move closer. Repeat.  Closer.  Repeat. 

Keep in mind that this will take alot of time to accomplish and many trips to that park.  We're probably talking months.  You want him to get to the point where he is close to them and not growling/aggitated.  Then you can either work on him meeting other dogs or work with him walking on a leash near them and walking by them w/o a reaction. Always remember to praise for good behavior and treat when necessary. 

You will have to desensitize yourself as well.  The others were right.  If you are nervous, your dog will pick up on that and be nervous too.  Dogs are alot more resiliant than people give them credit for.  My smallest dog isn't even 10 lbs........... .yet I know she can hold her own against the largest of dogs, and believe me they don't want to mess with her.  And if she can't fight back, she finds a place to run and hide where they can't follow........ ..lol.  She's no fool.

Good luck.

Offline Duramax

• Majestic Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 08, 2007, 06:48:27 am »
Actually it sounds like your little dog needs some socializing so he can be comfortable with big dogs again. One of the things is to correct him when he's snapping, growling, and what not at the big dogs and do not pick him up. That encourages his fear of big dogs when your cuddling him. I'm sure everyone else here can give you better advice though. Good luck.
i think dober_gurl hit the nail on the head. Your pupper obviously had a big impression made when the other dog attacked him when he was a baby. however i think that it makes more of an impression on a dog how the pack leader is acting. if you are picking up and coddling him. he'll just be reassured that he's right by being afraid. as long as the dogs that you 2 are around are polite (not necessarly on leashes) i would not pick him up and allow no growling or negative behavior from him. if he knows that you are happy to make new friends (and it will take lots of practice and patience) it will eventualy begin to rub off. as of now he feels that you have encouraged and rewarded his negative behavior. I think that a great first step in correcting this problem would be to address his fear. help build his self esteem up around big dogs. reward him for being friendly. try to talk to a big paw owner at the park and ask if they would be willing to help you introduce your boy to their dog. im sure most people would love to help! good luck let us know how he's doing :)
Christina
mother of:
2 babies
2 great danes -Duramax
              -boog

"Some days you're the dog; some days you're the hydrant." -Unknown