Author Topic: Phoebe has found her barker!!!  (Read 2751 times)

Offline MollyGirl

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
Phoebe has found her barker!!!
« on: August 08, 2007, 08:17:07 pm »
Well we had 1 quiet night then she decided she would let us know she did'nt like being in the crate.  I forget how many nights this will go on she is in our room with us I am hesitant to move her to the crate on the main level since I do want her to be with us.  Should I SHHHH her sternly or let her bark and whine?? I did get up and SHHH her once and it seem to help she went and laid down.  When she sleeps in the daytime should I crate her or let her sleep wherever she is. 
Becky
Phoebe 1-1/2 Yr.Great Pyrenees
MollyGirl No longer with us Pyr/Springer mix

Offline Newly Newfed

• Top Doggie Dog
  • Sierra
    • View Profile
Re: Phoebe has found her barker!!!
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2007, 08:58:31 pm »
Sierra let us know loud and clear what she thought about being crated at night for about a week, and then she got used to it.  No one in the house got much sleep that week...  LOL.  Every now and then we would SHH her or try using the word Quiet, (which she still doesn't listen to)but mostly we tried to ignore it so she didn't learn to use barking just for attention.  She eventually quieted down when she realized I wasn't letting her out unless it was to take her to the bathroom at night.  Even then, I waited at least 10 minutes after she quieted down to take her out.  I didn't want her to associate barking with being let out of the crate.  Now we leave her crate open all day and she usually chooses to go in there herself to chew her bone or take a nap.  We are not yet to the point where we trust her all night though, so she's still crated at bed time.
Dogs are not our whole lives, but they make our lives whole - Roger Caras

Sierra-Newfoundland
Cody-Papillon
Oscar, Gina- Cats
Roxy-Ferret
Peaches, Sean, Thunderbolt, Chablis, Lucky, Miracle, Ivy, Riley-Whitetail Deer

Offline People Whisperer

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2007, 09:14:50 pm »
I think that dogs should be introduced to crate very slowly otherwise they will have negative thoughts about it. Puppies in particular shouldn't stay there all night. Just my thoughts  ;D
"To once own a Great Pyrenees is to love and want one always."
Mary W. Crane

I don't suffer from insanity; I enjoy every minute of it :)

Offline Sillygoose

• Top Doggie Dog
  • I love my dog!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2007, 10:05:18 pm »
I crated Tripper right from the get go. He let us know he didn't like it but after a week of him screaming at us he stopped. Now he screams in the morning if I try and sleep in a bit. He never slept in my room though. His crate is in the living room downstairs. He even gets in it on his own now.

Offline London_Pyr_Lover

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2007, 04:49:00 am »
I agree, it took about a week solid of Naja crying almost all night long for her to finally get used her crate and actually sleep in it (and let the rest of the house sleep).  Her crate is in my room in the basement, so she really only goes in there at bed time, but when you tell her it's bed time she goes straight to her bed.  She manages to sleep the entire night, but I still keep the door closed to avoid waking up to a mess in the morning.
My Sponsership page for my very first race!

mama23+pyrs2

« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2007, 04:58:15 am »
She will just get used to it and stop, unless you take her out when she does it that is, it takes some longer than others. When we brought ours home they slept in the crate all night. The girl made a big fuss about it, my boy was quiet as a mouse. She cried off and on for about 3 nights..nothin g terrible and then she quieted down and realized she wasn't coming out. They would cry to use the bathroom, that's it. They go in there on their own now and have for months, and seem to love it in there..have slept in there every night since we brought them home, they are almost 8 mos now. Still wouldn't trust them in the house..hopeful ly one day soon! I let mine sleep in the laundry room last night and they got into some trouble. ::)
« Last Edit: August 12, 2007, 04:59:16 am by mama2many »