Author Topic: Loss of muscle mass on head?  (Read 4633 times)

Offline Jeff Rice

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
Loss of muscle mass on head?
« on: August 12, 2007, 09:09:00 pm »
I have a 6-year-old yellow Lab, pretty sure she's not a purebred, but until about a year ago she has the classic appearance of the Labrador -- broad head, blunt snout, etc. Over the past year, however, I noticed that her "smart bump" has evolved into a high ridge along the top of her skull. Her cheekbones and temples have become exaggerated, as if her skull had simply "caved in" leaving sharp features instead of the rounded look of a Lab.

My uncle, a retired veterinarian who now writes books for Barron's about dogs and cats, said only that she'd lost muscle mass from her skull, giving her the deathly appearance.

I did switch dog foods at about the time that the transformation began (from Purina to Pedigree) but her appetite has remained good and her strength and muscle mass is good on the rest of her body. She still vaults into the pickup like a pup, and doesn't seem to have lost any quickness or agility.

Anybody have any ideas?

Offline Jeff Rice

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
Re: Loss of muscle mass on head?
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2007, 06:26:44 am »
Just replying to some of the follow-up questions you guys have asked:

Daisy's health otherwise seems fine. She's a brawny, 80-pound girl, active and strong. I rassle with her on the lawn every few days, and she still has good muscle tone everywhere else.

I do have before-and-after photos, and if I can figure out how to post them, I will.

Nicole

« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2007, 07:10:47 am »
Hmmm...I have no idea. But, you probably don't want to have Daisy on Pedigree. Its not a very good food!

Offline Jeff Rice

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2007, 04:26:50 pm »
Excellent info, thanks a bunch. I'll get Daisy into the vet's office as soon as possible.

Fortunately, she's a real chewer -- constantly gnawing on rawhides and stuff.

Thanks again, everybody.

jr

Offline Jeff Rice

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2007, 03:26:23 am »
I will definitely let you guys know what the vet says. He's really a bookish guy -- isn't shy about calling CSU about stuff (we live in Colorado) and what that tells me is that he's a digger and a researcher -- he doesn't just go with whatever some chart or his gut says. Daisy will have to "wait for payday," but so do my new jointer/planer blades.