Author Topic: Where'd you get your dog?  (Read 10709 times)

Offline dober_gurl

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
Where'd you get your dog?
« on: July 21, 2005, 08:36:02 pm »
I don't know if this has ever been posted on here before, but I thought I'd do it. I want to know where you got your dog(s).
Marty, our miniature daschund, came from my adoptive sister's dad. He wanted to get her something special so he got her a dog ::)(believe it or not but Marty actually hates my little sister! We're working on it though). We love the little brat very much and have had him since about August. He's a little over a year now.
Alex, our miniature poodle, came from a puppy mill. The guy had to get rid of all his dogs so he gave us like 6-7 of them and a couple to my aunt. We found them homes but Alex was a little off so my mom didn't think it would be good to adopt him out, but if we we're to find an older person that's by themselfs, Alex would definatly do good there! We've had him since I think November and he's 2 years old now.
Maggie, our doberman, came from a backyard breeder, he gave her to us. I don't know why but we've had her for 4 years now, we got her when she was 6 weeks old, she what you would call a junkyard dobie because of her size.
Mandi, our other dobie, came from the humane society, she's 3 years old. Has had 2 litters of puppies and was going to be put to sleep because she's heartworm positive. We're going to get her treated and then was she's done with treatment and healing she'll go in to be spayed. Total sweetie!!
"None left to rescue, none left to buy, none left to suffer, none left to die. None to be beaten, none to be kicked...all must be loved and all must be fixed"

Maggie-Doberman
Molly-Papillon
Mickey-Mutt
Collin-Kitty
Sunny-Amazon Parrot
Squishy-Guinea Pig
Harper/Lyric-Rats

GYPSY JAZMINE

Re: Where'd you get your dog?
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2005, 12:06:23 am »
Samson came from a byb but she does raise the dogs for LGD's ( she has her own sheep farm) & Sam's mother only had 3 litters in her life & is now fixed...I was also able to get references from people who bought pups from all the litters so I didn't feel too bad about getting him...Our new little girl is coming from Jackie Wood of Tanimara Great Pyrenees who is a member here & resides in S. Central Missourri...I am loving getting one of her dogs as she is a responsible breeder who I respect very much!

Offline mastiffmommy

• Chief "All Knowing"
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2005, 12:17:11 am »
All pure bred dogs I have had, that I got when they were puppies, I have gotten from good breeders after lots of research. The other dogs have all been rescues, either from the shelter or rescue groups or from people who didnt want the dog no more and decided to have it put down. So I guess basically two kinds of places for me, either breeder or rescue

Marit
what the lion is to a cat, the mastiff is to a dog

Nicole

« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2005, 08:22:19 am »
Well...

I was living in North Carolina, and met a woman doing rescue. Helped her out a bit. One day she called me and said that there was this super sweety at the Raleigh Animal Shelter that was going to be euthanized because he had heartworms, and he had been there for a month, and nobody would adopt him. So, one of the volunteers at the shelter agreed to pay for the treatment if we could find him a foster. I agreed even though I didn't know a THING about him. (The boyfriend agreed too, but was REALLY reluctant and bitchy about the whole thing!) So, we went to get him, and he was the BIGGEST SPAZ! He was about a year old, and in BAAAAAAAAAAAD need of a grooming! Big clumps of hair kinda hanging all over, and he was pretty skinny. BUT, his head was HUGE! So, we started calling him Big Head.

Well, the heartworm treatment took two months. (It was a severe case) Everytime I found a potential adopter and brought them over to meet him, Mark (boyfriend) found something wrong with them. It started to occur to me that maybe he was falling in love. Well, it was true. So, we kept him and he became Cabeza. (Spanish for "head")

Offline Nina

• Supreme Drooler
  • In Loving memory 12/30/05 8:30pm We miss you
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2005, 08:44:20 am »
We got Harley from the Humane Society, as soon as Tim saw her he fell in love she walked over to us, he put his hand in the cage and started licking away, and looked up at us with those beautiful take me home eyes. And we did. To this day she still licks us like mad. We got Harley in march of 04 then on Dec11 I walked into Petsmart to pick up some presents for Harley and Joe(our cat) and a rescue organization called CARES was there so of course I walk over to take a look, there was many puppies but I saw one, super cute and clumsy, I just fell in love. I walk back over to the entrance and Tim walks in, I told him that there was dogs here for adoption he looks at me and we walk over and we spend some time with him and then I just couldn't leave with out him. Just as we were adopting Dilbert, another couple was coming back to get him. Now I can't imagine our lives without either of them.

Nina 
Nina and Tim
Calgary, AB, Canada
Harley(Lab mix)
Dilbert(Pyr mix)At the bridge
Jolene (cat)

Offline Carolyn

• Big Paws-a-holic
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2005, 01:16:46 pm »
Both Apache & Kiya were from breeders. Chazzy was adoped from a rescue. She spent the first 6months in a crate, we call her our special child, she's really not playing with a full deck. She didn't know how to play when we first got her. Thats one of the reasons Billy wouldn't let me get anything but a baby.
Carolyn
Carolyn

Offline Leah-n-boy-os

• Big Paws-a-holic
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2005, 05:44:22 pm »
Zeus came from a "Free Puppy" sign on the side of the road. Went in, fell in love with him, and brought him home that day.

Apollo was a con run by my husband and my eldest son. We were taking some old plywood and stuff to the dump (the pound is less than a block away) and my husband turns to my son (all innocent like) and says "Hey Jon, you want to go look at some puppies. We'll only *look* thought, k?"

Yeah, right.

no sooner did we walk into the kennel area than my son was on his knees, with his arm stuck all the way to his shoulders into one of the cages, and this gold ball of fuzz had his huge paws wrapped around his arm, holding on for all he was worth. That was the end of it, there was no way Jon was leaving without him. I got the tears, the pleading, begging and the hubby was no better.

We walked out with him that day, and as soon as we got home, he latched onto me and has been "Mommy's Boy" ever since.
Leah and the Boy-os
Apollo (Akita/St. Bernard)
Zeus (Heinz 57)
Onyx (Newfoundland)
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Being owned by Big Paws just indicates how big your heart is.

located - Gig Harbor, WA

GYPSY JAZMINE

« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2005, 05:58:35 pm »
Zeus came from a "Free Puppy" sign on the side of the road. Went in, fell in love with him, and brought him home that day.

Apollo was a con run by my husband and my eldest son. We were taking some old plywood and stuff to the dump (the pound is less than a block away) and my husband turns to my son (all innocent like) and says "Hey Jon, you want to go look at some puppies. We'll only *look* thought, k?"

Yeah, right.

no sooner did we walk into the kennel area than my son was on his knees, with his arm stuck all the way to his shoulders into one of the cages, and this gold ball of fuzz had his huge paws wrapped around his arm, holding on for all he was worth. That was the end of it, there was no way Jon was leaving without him. I got the tears, the pleading, begging and the hubby was no better.

We walked out with him that day, and as soon as we got home, he latched onto me and has been "Mommy's Boy" ever since.
Yea...We were just going to "look" at Samson too...But my hubby had already bought a leash, collar, food, treats...lol!

nickerbokker

« Reply #8 on: July 22, 2005, 06:07:07 pm »
well.  quick history.  mom and dad got "sugar foot" for stacy when she was like 5 or something..... .best dog EVER.....when i was like 8(?) my sister kelly was in "pass pets"...the chesterfield shopping center pet store and saw a puppy....she MADE my mom go up there, and after three hours of him loving us, we took him home.  about 3 years later, we wanted another one, and found bailey in the papers.....got her, had a litter of puppies (DONT BLAME ME or lecture)....had to move from our house to an apartment, and therefore had to sell the big dogs.  which meant sam and bailey....and we sold all but one of the puppies (mr green) who later turned into tyler.  tyler was my boy, the love of my life, died in 2001 of lymphoma, and i never wanted another dog ever.  my mom and sisters went on a "make nicki happy" mission, and found cody and bought him.  once i found out about him, i didn't want him.  they brought him home, and i wanted nothing to do with him.  then one day, he was all loving me and looking at me really intense, and my heart just broke.  loved him more than my life ever since.  i have wanted to have him a brother since i got him.....but finally decided december last year i was getting him one for christmas.  found angus in the paper from a breeder up in fresno....(I ADMIT I DID NO HOMEWORK, it was a split second decision), called her, told her i would be there the following weekend, and went and got him.  my life has been horrible ever since.   ;)

Offline TwoNewfies

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 22, 2005, 06:12:11 pm »
We got Bella from a backyard breeder too. We were looking for a Newf breeder and I called our vet to see if theyhad any Newf breeders who are clients, or asked that they call us if they knew of available Nefs.  A few months later we got a call, and it turned out that the breeder was only 5 minutes away. Here in MI, the majority of the Newf breeders are anywhere from 1 hour to 5 hours away. We went to "look" (come on, there is no such thing! ;D)  at the puppies and I wish I could have taken all 6 with me!!  This breeder had all clearances on mom and dad, but didnt offer a guarantee.  We've been lucky with Bella. She has a great great temperment and hasnt had any health issues yet.

Now for Rocco, we did more research and spoke to several breeders, as well as breeders we met at the Detroit Dog Show. We ended up going with a breeder in MI, near South Bend Indiana. What fun it was going to get Rocco. The breeder had a lot of Newfs, some were pets, some she was breeding, but they kennels were immaculate and it was obvious she spent a lot of time each day with these dogs. I could tell by the way they all responded to her. We met Rocco's parents. Rocco's dad is Canadian, and was brought from Quebec last year. I guess when they got him, he could only understand French so he was taught Engish commands and now knows both! Newfies are so smart :)
Gina

All dogs are pets.  Newfoundlands are family!

GYPSY JAZMINE

« Reply #10 on: July 23, 2005, 02:40:19 am »
well.  quick history.  mom and dad got "sugar foot" for stacy when she was like 5 or something..... .best dog EVER.....when i was like 8(?) my sister kelly was in "pass pets"...the chesterfield shopping center pet store and saw a puppy....she MADE my mom go up there, and after three hours of him loving us, we took him home.  about 3 years later, we wanted another one, and found bailey in the papers.....got her, had a litter of puppies (DONT BLAME ME or lecture)....had to move from our house to an apartment, and therefore had to sell the big dogs.  which meant sam and bailey....and we sold all but one of the puppies (mr green) who later turned into tyler.  tyler was my boy, the love of my life, died in 2001 of lymphoma, and i never wanted another dog ever.  my mom and sisters went on a "make nicki happy" mission, and found cody and bought him.  once i found out about him, i didn't want him.  they brought him home, and i wanted nothing to do with him.  then one day, he was all loving me and looking at me really intense, and my heart just broke.  loved him more than my life ever since.  i have wanted to have him a brother since i got him.....but finally decided december last year i was getting him one for christmas.  found angus in the paper from a breeder up in fresno....(I ADMIT I DID NO HOMEWORK, it was a split second decision), called her, told her i would be there the following weekend, and went and got him.  my life has been horrible ever since.   ;)
split second desision..BLES SING...whateve r. ;) :)

Offline Svnt4God

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
    • Visit my Website
« Reply #11 on: July 24, 2005, 09:53:48 am »
I got my 4 Year Old Great Dane from a rescue group in Riverside County, CA (I can't mention their name in public)  

He is an absolute DREAM dog ... I couldn't ask for a better dog even if I made him myself.

« Last Edit: July 24, 2005, 09:58:29 am by Svnt4God »

Icerotti

« Reply #12 on: July 24, 2005, 10:04:43 am »
Puck  the rotti we got from the breeder who also did rescue for rottis. We call him our rescue dog of sorts. He was returned to the breeder because his owners had divorced and only kept the female. Poor boy howled every night at the breeders ( he was so lonley for people). He is such a dufus. But he is MY dufus and I love him and he loves me ( and everyone else.) He is the best with my daughter.I can't imagine not having had him in our lives.
Farley the Vizsla- we got from a breeder in Rockwood Ontario.

Offline GrumpyBunny

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 24, 2005, 11:39:54 am »
Here is the breakdown on my former and current guys...

Cabo - came from the Humane Society.  At the time I adopted him, he had been there almost 4 months, which was an incredibly long time for them to keep a dog.  At the time I got him, they were actually considering having to euthanize him because he was starting to "shut down".  He had been "Pet of the Week" on the radio and in the newspaper, and had actually been adopted once and then returned.  The people who originally adopted him claimed he barked too much when left in the backyard alone all day long.  Huh, go figure!  

Ranger - adopted from the Helen Woodward Animal Center, where he was a transfer from a shelter in Arizona.  I talked to the woman who runs the shelter in AZ, and she said that if she was remembering the correct dog, he was a St. Bernard/Brittany Spaniel mix that was relinquished by a doctor that didn't have time for him.  I saw his goofy face with tongue hanging out the side of the mouth on Helen Woodward's website and just had to go see him.  It was obvious that he had not been socialized or exposed to a lot ot things, as he was quite shy and suspicious at first (all signs that I should NOT have brought him home).  He was barking and posturing in the back of his kennel, but as soon as I squatted down and spoke nicely to him he turned into a big grinning, tail waving, tongue-lolling, please-be-my-friend-and-don't-hurt-me, belly-crawling oaf and he won me over for better or worse.  :D

Gwen - Scott found her abandoned on the street in front of his apartment when she was just a puppy.  He took her in and posted signs, etc., but no one ever stepped up to claim her and by that time he was happy that no one did.  She is very protective of Scott and thinks the sun rises and sets on him.  She is our "guard dog" and is always the one to bark and tell us when she thinks anything is out of place, or that there is someone walking by the house, etc.  But weirdly, she is great with strangers, with the exception of homeless people, for whom she has a great dislike for whatever reason.  Once when Scott was walking her as a puppy, a guy remarked on what a good looking dog she was and offered to trade a bag of crack for her!
*Founder of the Official Suspicious Chicken Fan Club*

Offline Mad Liz

• Gnawer
  • Sadie the Akita
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 24, 2005, 01:00:27 pm »
Sadie was originally bought by a young lass who very shortly afterwards discovered she was pregnant.  After the baby was born she suffered from Post Natal Depression and eventually burned down her house and was committed to the mental health care system.

Her elderly mum (70s) took Sadie and the baby, but a young Akita Alpha bitch is too much for an elderly lady, and so she asked her landlady (who had three Rotties) if she would take the dog. 

Frenchie took the dog, but made it clear that she would be rehoming it elsewhere because Rotties and Akitas are not really designed to be best friends.  ::)

Frenchie called me as she knew I had previously had a Sibe and asked it Sadie could come to live here.

By the time this beautiful two year old mutt came to us we were her fourth home in four months.  She spent the first two months sitting in a corner, hardly moving unless we took her out for walkies or it was meal time.  After three months, she decided to test us by ripping up the settee and a few shoes, but once she realised that she wasn't going to be kicked out again, the destructive behaviour stopped (about 3 weeks in total).

Now, she is the sweetest thing in the world.  She is very curious about everything and tends to scare the wits out of people by suddenly appearing beside them in the park to see what they are doing.  Her other trick is to jump up and put her head and paws through the open windows of cars parked by the side of the road.  I am quite surprised that no-one has had a heart attack yet.  She is brilliant with people, particularly children, although like most Akitas, she is not always good with other dogs.
Stercus accidit!